PDA

View Full Version : are vapors from wood stain bad for reptiles? EMERGENCY!!

Grimaldi123
02-14-2010, 03:23 PM
heres my question... are the vapors from wood stain bad for my snake? i custom built an enclosure that is wood with a glass front. i stained the enclosure roughly a week ago and put my snake in the cage last night. the stain was minwax red mahogany which is oil based. i then put 2 coats of polyurethane to seal the wood. this has all been dry for days but i still notice there is quite a potent smell from the stain/poly. the snake doesn't seem bothered by it at all but i am concerned. please get back to me asap so i know if i should pull my snake from this cage and address this.

kmarsh
02-14-2010, 03:42 PM
I am no vet but from what I have heard and read it is best not to put them in anything that has vapors. They have small lungs and if you can smell it, it probably would be safer not to have them in it till the vapors are gone. Having become more aware of my lungs, I wouldn't take the chance because I have heard so much about how vapors and particles can do so much damage in lungs that you may not notice right away but could be doing alot more damage than you know. Just my opinion.

Helenthereef
02-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Once the polyurethane is set it should be fine, but I think that I also would wait until all detectable smells were gone.

Thee Animal
03-12-2011, 11:09 AM
The stain will outgas for weeks if not months.Not on the label but I know that even if you cant smell it it is still outgassing.I recomend after you stop smelling it ,than wait a month.