PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico Reptile Ban

USARK.Jonathan.Brady
06-02-2010, 07:57 PM
New Mexico Reptile Ban
The New Mexico Department of Fish & Game is proposing a regulatory Rule Change that would make owning many non-native animals, including reptiles, amphibians and ornamental fish prohibitive. Most CITES listed animals would be banned. Special permits would be needed for many commonly held animals. This is without a doubt the most anti-animal regulatory proposal in the country. It affects not only herpetofauna and ornamental fish, but birds and small mammals as well; even many feeder species.

Pet stores, breeders, collectors, hobbyists and pet owners would all have unprecedented restrictions placed on them. Even though USARK agrees with the premise of the Rule Change to protect the natural resources of the state of New Mexico, the Department of Fish & Game seems to lack the policy expertise to craft a simple straight forward proposal. As written this Rule Change is arbitrary and anti-animal. It would hurt the citizens of New Mexico and those that do business in the state.

USARK is cooperating with the National Animal Interest Alliance (NAIA) in opposing this proposed Rule Change and offering our collective expertise to help New Mexico craft an effective proposal that will not alienate the animal loving citizens of the state.

Please make Public Comment by June 4, 2010.

Click here to make Public Comment: http://usark.org/campaign.php?id=19

DEADLINE JUNE 4, 2010

Click here to read Proposed Rule: http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/documents/documents/19357ImportationofLiveNondomesticAnimalsBirdsandFi sh.pdf

Outcast
06-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Just sent. This is the same thing I was asking about a couple of weeks ago. They have already started enforcing it on the pet stores in Las Cruces, NM. I think it is complete BS.

dustinntech
06-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Wow I really hope this doesn't keep spreading...

dustinNMpythons
06-11-2010, 09:04 PM
There has to be something that can be done about this. Can't there be a people vs state sort of lawsuit that could take place against this considering this is banning all sorts of common household pets that aren't either dangerous or invasive.

JDpythons
06-12-2010, 08:02 PM
that is pure BS.
like dustin said, there can be a people vs state in court, thats part of our legal system and its in our constitution. people vs state.

thats BS though, this better not come to texas!

kevin c.
06-14-2010, 11:53 AM
This reminds me of what happened here in Kentucky back in 2005. The commonwealth in it's two hundred year history had allowed the ownership of crocodilians,wolf-hybrids,big cats etc. as long as the owner was a responsible citizen and kept their pets away from the public. in 05 a ban was put on all of these animals without exception(unless you were a zoo etc.) if you had you're animal before the ban you could keep it. however, you could not breed it,sale it or replace it if it died. what was the cause of this "out of the blue" legislation? was it pets being released? attacks on the owners? NO! it was KyFWC,HSUS and other animal rights groups. there was no,i repeat no public discussion and in fact very little resistance from the public. the main players were Louisville and Lexington hotbeds of political liberalism and political correctness. after the KY house had announced the idea of the bill,it took only three months and it was law! thousand's of people had thrown away receipts they had on the purchase of their animals and some had paperwork that was not satisfactory to the state, so they were made to give up their beloved pets. as a reptile keeper i can tell you, the Big snakes will be next, i can hear the rumblings coming out of Frankfort. people assume that because their state is mainly rural or that it's not that big in population that it can't happen in their state. you are wrong! think of my state, how much more country and hillbilly can you get,and it happened here. in fact ours is among the most strict and will be getting stricter. citizens of the great state of New Mexico, you must fight like Hell! or you will, as most of the country will, be deprived of you're rights as reptile lovers and keeper's.

Outcast
06-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Do we have any updated info on this?

dustinNMpythons
06-21-2010, 07:33 PM
I would like to hear any updates on this as well.

BlackLotus
06-24-2010, 08:23 PM
By the laws of the United States government....yes we can fight them with counter-suites and challenges. The only unfortunate thing, usually true about most to all of us, is the high amount of cash (alot of us, me included dont have) they require you to spend to challenge such things usually. Unless you get a public defender for something (someone who will drag a court case on as long as he can, to make more money the longer the case lasts), the court systems are really for the rich :(

I do hope though, that either someone with money, or a group of people like us with a little money all banded togethor, tries to fight back for this is definately spreading. And with what we learned from history in our political system, if something spreads, it will spread like wildfire, and like wildfire if not stopped soon enough will engulf us all. Im saddened by the increasing aggression in politics towords pet owners, and most often its the responsible ones. At first it was big snakes, now exotic reptiles...fish.......exotic anything is the end result. All in all, like a bunch already said we need to band togethor and fight before this is completely out of control.

BlackLotus
06-24-2010, 08:51 PM
I don't know if this document (http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/publications/press_releases/documents/2010/052710animalimports.html) will hold any new updates for you, but I found this on the New Mexico Fish and Game Department's homepage, it's got some minor info at the top about taking public input, most of its outdated of course but at the bottom is a question and awnser section which may have some info hopefully you can use.

I also found this randomly while googling for info, don't quote me on it, but from the looks of it seems to be the ASPCA's position (http://www.aspca.org/fight-animal-cruelty/exotic-pet-faq.html) on exotic animal bans (all exotics not just big ones) and how they feel about those that breed them, to say the least wasn't very friendly and doubt we'd get help from them. Also on the top of the page to the right, is a picture of one of their exotic reptiles that are far too complex for people not working at zoos to take care of, happens also to be one of the more common of reptiles. I had a friend that could'nt remember what he ate for breakfast, he took so good care of one it got a little overweight...what did he do? Realised his booboo and cut back so he wouldn't get fat. All in all it was a very happy bearded dragon (believe it was one). I probably wouldn't be so upset, if it wasn't for the fact that near the end or middle they talk about baby lions and monkeys along side reptiles and fish.......sorry a baby lion is not the same a gold dust day gecko in the least.....not gunna worry about my gecko taking a piece out of my rear lol.

And last but definately not least, http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_animals_summary.php has a long list of the states, and their current (i believe current) legal status for exotic animals whether its a ban, partial ban, not banned at all, license deal or otherwise. Unfortunately when u make it to New Mexico you wont find much at all, seems like its hard to find new info on this.....

kevin c.
06-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Blacklotus, i agree you are right. it takes a ton of money to fight these bills and it's idiotic supporters. as you stated people like us don't have the millions it would take to fight the injustices against exotic animal keepers. the HSUS,PETA,ASPCA and others have the monetary clout along with public sympathy. these forces have launched an offensive against anyone keeping exotics, especially reptiles. with celebrities and entertainers who have the funds and public forum(animal planet comes to mind) to basically go unopposed and to lobby politicians, and play on the public's bias against reptiles. remember, money talks and it talks loudest in Washington! USARK has used the economic argument against most bans and understandably so, they know that courts and politicians care nothing about rights and that's the tragedy of it all. it shouldn't be about economics,although that's important, it basically comes down to you're and my rights. do we as a free people have the right to possess a certain animal? either we do or we don't it's just that simple. if government can say,"you don't have a right to have that animal" then what else can they decide that you don't have a right to? fight as we may,the storm clouds are looming and all herp keepers will have to make a decision to give up their beloved animals or resist and keep them. NO STATE is immune from this onslaught,you're state laws may be very lenient now,but be assured you will become targeted sooner or later. and you may think that you're "good Ole boy politicians will hear you're cry threatening them at the ballot box, but it will be all in vain. the buck rules, and he who has the money makes the laws. but, we still have hope that maybe someone somewhere will wake up and say enough is enough!