PDA

View Full Version : needing a diagnosis from experienced keeper

kevin c.
06-11-2010, 02:41 PM
I ask that everyone be patient,because i have some explaining to do of the situation. first, before anyone who notices i live in Kentucky starts screaming about the legality of owning Alligators, i have had mine since 2004, which means he's legal. anyway, i recently moved to a larger house about two weeks ago, since then my gator hasn't eaten at all, for two weeks now not a single nibble. he is in a larger set-up,plenty of room and temps have remained as they always have. also, he is fed primarily rats and an occasional piece of chicken and beef. he also, regurgitated this morning, since he had no food on him for fourteen days that's a mystery,he has done that before when he was overfed, but don't understand why now? anyway, besides that he looks and acts as vibrant as ever. so please, i need some expert advise. should i be worried or is this something that will pass. my feeling is that it was all primarily due to stress. thanks.

Elizabeth Minton
06-12-2010, 01:26 PM
well i do not own any alligators but my best guess would be that maybe the stress from moving caused his immune system to decome deficiant which could cause him to become ill. he may also have a parasite. as i said i do not know alligators very well but i would do some research about it and keep trying to get some help as much as you can. good luck hope all goes well

kevin c.
06-12-2010, 01:47 PM
yes, i believe you're right. he has however started to eat again, although he ate only one rat, but it is an improvement. he seems to finally be adjusting to everything i guess it will just take time. thanks for the input.

Elizabeth Minton
06-13-2010, 02:43 PM
glad to hear your baby ate at least something. im happy i could be of some help. if you every need anything i am going to college to study vet practices on exotic animals and i know alot about reptiles,mammals etc i may be able to help you more if you need me. im on fauna everyday and my email is gotlove4ballpython@yahoo.com. feel free to ask me any questions

kevin c.
06-13-2010, 04:24 PM
He defecated today, it was a little loose but wasn't white so that is a good sign. anyway, thanks for you're help. it's good to know that someone is willing to share their knowledge and time helping fellow herpers. God Bless and again thank you.

Elizabeth Minton
06-13-2010, 04:34 PM
your quite welcome anytime you need help im here. if you have any questions or friends who need help let me knowill do my best

Adam Kirk
07-10-2010, 04:53 AM
Kevin is everything back to normal with your gator?

kevin c.
07-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Yes, everything is fine. i was told it was due to being in a different atmosphere and after he was used to it, he would once again establish his territory and resume being a gator. in fact he has! he is back to his ole wonderful self! thanks again everybody.