PDA

View Full Version : Expectations from show organizers

ms_terese
06-03-2003, 10:40 AM
I know there have been various threads about shows, expectations, etc. etc., but in cruising back through the forums I haven't really found the information I'm looking for, so I'll start a new thread. However, if this is already out there and someone would be kind enough to post a link, I'd appreciate it.

What do you look for in an expo or show organizer? Do you check references with other vendors from previous shows? Do you ask about previous attendance? Can you ask about how much advertising is being done? Do you just take a shot?

dwedeking
06-03-2003, 07:59 PM
I usually visit the show in question the year (or whenever there is a show by that organizer before the one I want to do display at) and see exactly what is going on. You can tell a lot by walking a show paying attention to the attendees and vendors.

The quality of animals and presentation a vendor shows can give you an indication of how well their sales are at the show. A large number of low quality animals (health wise) and booths with just a table cover and no effort put towards display show that there is little return in doing the show. When vendors bring out good animals and spend a little effort and money in building a professional display you can assume the show is of better quality. Look at the vendors as a whole.

Attendees. Listen as you walk through. Are they asking "buying" questions or just looking? If your selling high end/rare animals do they look to be financially able to buy your animals. Are the attendees happy with what they see? If they're grumbling under their breath at the quality of animals/vendors they probably won't be back the next year. If they're "oohing" and "aahing" over everything the show will get good word of mouth advertising.

Talk to the organizer. It's amazing how much you can learn in a 10 minute conversation. I drove 4 hours once to check out a show I wanted to vend at. Walked around, and while it was small the attendees seemed "hungry" for a reptile show so I saw potential. I talked to the organizer, telling him I wanted to get some booths for the next show, and that I had money in hand. Seemed like he did everything to push the "sale" off until he could email me. A lot of his conversation led me to believe he waited until the last minute for everything and wouldn't properly promote the show (advertising isn't something you do the weekend of the show). I was right. He emailed me 5 days before the next show to see if I wanted to be a vendor. I politely passed.

Also talk with anyone that has done the show before.

bpc
06-04-2003, 09:05 PM
The more I pay, the more I expect. If I'm paying more than $100 a table, I expect the show to advertisted in Reptiles Magazine, on Kingsnake, and this site. I expect the show to have it's own up to date website. I expect all info shown about the show to be correct. I expect it to be put on at a good time (not superbowl weekend). I expect promoters to be helpful and honest w/ thier answers to my questions. I expect fair placement for all tables (a table back behind the stairs leading to the janitor's closet won't do it). I expect electricity hook-ups to be included or to be less than $50. No smoking in the building at any time.

I WOULD LIKE the following:

local advertising

fun things for families

rules to be the same for everyone (you would think this would be in the above paragraph, but I don't know if that will ever happen).

realistically thought out rules

dollies (handtrucks) provided by the show (they really help a lot!!)

lunch provided by the show - that is really important, many times it is just impossible to get away to get anything.

and believe it or not, I like it when people are allowed to bring in their pet reptiles. I thought it was pretty ridiculous this past weekend at the F.I.R.E show that dogs where allowed in but snakes weren't! It's a freakin reptile show folks!