PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Gecko

herpetological
07-01-2003, 10:37 AM
Anyone heard anything about this species? I read about this crypt some years ago. Was supposed to be in the 20 inch range! (Not the Green Eyed Gecko) Report was in regards to 3 sightings and 2 possible DOR specimens. Specimens were preserved but no one know their disposition? Thanks Ray Goushaw HBR

meretseger
07-03-2003, 02:38 PM
I remember reading about an extinct giant gecko from that region in one of my books. The name currently escapes me. The name 'Halmahera' floats to mind for some reason. I can look it up.

Erin B.

herpetological
07-05-2003, 01:46 PM
I had read some documentation on this cryptic some years ago. Doug Chinn was nice enough to foward some limited info. I still haven't been able to find the origional documents. There were eye-witness accounts in regards to sightings of live specimens(3) occasions. Also, 2-specimens were said to be preserved. I'd like to do a museum search but, I do not have the latin name? "Halmahera" is a locality name for several herps from another area. I do not believe that is even close but, thanks for the effort. If you can look it up please do so.

Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
08-26-2003, 03:46 PM
The scientific on the New Zealand Giant Gecko is Hoplodactylus delcourti.

They reached lengths of up to two feet and a couple of pounds. To my recollection, the Paris Museum has one or possibly both of the preserved specimens, but I would have to look through what little info I have found to verify that.

If I remember right they are from the South Island. I have seen pictures of the preserved animals and in life it would have been one impressive gecko. Imagine a Leachie on steroids.

I have not heard anything about recent sightings, but I do recall a group going in 1999 or 2000 to search for any possible surviving populations. I don't remember all of the results, but I do know that no live specimens were found.

Halmaehara is a different island which is closer to Indonesia. There is a large gecko species that hails from there(Gehyra vorax), but they do not approach H. delcourti in size.

herpetological
08-26-2003, 10:37 PM
I'm familiar with the locality of Halmahera. I was replying to the previous post. The latin is correct. Do you know the name of the Museum or an e-mail address. I had photo copies of the studies from the Smithsonian. However, I cannot locate the documentation. The Smithsonian says they no longer have the info and that I would have to come in person to conduct a search. If you have ever been there....well.. it's quite a proposition.!! Thanks, Ray

meretseger
09-01-2003, 08:42 AM
I got the H part right!!!!! Hoplodactylus was exactly what I was thinking of.

Erin B.

Geoff
01-28-2005, 04:19 PM
http://www.redlist.org/search/details.php?species=10254

I've searched for them a couple times but to no luck :rofl:

Geoff
01-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Here is more info with a pic
http://www.internationalsocietyofcryptozoology.org/Discoveries/Default.aspx?content=discovery&Name=giantGecko

Geoff
01-29-2005, 08:26 PM
Here are a few pics I took of delcourti when the skin was In Auckland NZ

Intense Herpetoculture
02-23-2005, 01:56 AM
Wow, thanks for the pics! So how impressive did this species look in person.

calibra30
05-20-2005, 01:47 AM
nice photos m8 lucky to seen it you are...

Can i use the photos on my website when i get it up and running...

It's about extinct animals...

Geoff
05-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Wow, thanks for the pics! So how impressive did this species look in person.

You are welcome

I've been away for a while :hehe:

Well Its been many years since I took those photos and I think the skin Is not the true color but the size impressed me. If only I could have found a live one :eatsmiley

Geoff
05-22-2005, 12:08 PM
nice photos m8 lucky to seen it you are...

Can i use the photos on my website when i get it up and running...

It's about extinct animals...

No worries mate. All I ask is photo credit.