PDA

View Full Version : Chat log of Bill Stanton from Invertepet.com

MR_Jungle_Mist
07-17-2003, 11:26 PM
MR_Jungle_Mist: Bill> Tell us a little about invertepet...how it started, what you do, etc etc.
invertepet: Invertepet actually started in 1993 when I began importing some bugs from the UK and reselling them to collectors and pet shops in the Northern CA area. This was a rather brief venture as I had a more demanding 'day job' that had lagged for a few months allowing the inception of the 'INVERTEPET' name but not much else. I did manage to import some fun stuff, though.
herphunter: like what?
invertepet: I had Poecilotheria formosa, fasciata, regalis, C. crawshayi... Lots of stuff that was incredibly rare back then (in the US).
invertepet: Fast forward to late 2002, and I figured with the internet and the rising popularity of invertebrates as pets, I could get back into the scene.
invertepet: So the Invertepet.com site was born and the name was 'reborn' so to speak.
MR_Jungle_Mist: Do you mostly do all imports from overseas?
invertepet: No, actually I do mostly business with USA wholesalers and importers. I do not import much from overseas at all. I let the big herp importers do the hard stuff.
The-Anti-Spider: so you like working with bugs bill?
invertepet: Anti: Yes, it can be challenging but I love inverts. They fascinate me and have done so since I was old enough to crawl, I think.
The-Anti-Spider: cool
The-Anti-Spider: well, kinda
invertepet: I had one species back then that is only now coming available again: Bonnetina cyanefemur. Beautiful spider.
The-Anti-Spider: oh
invertepet: I got to know all the folks at the ATS back then, as it was being rebuilt at the time by RGBreene and the others (Rhys, Miep, etc).
MR_Jungle_Mist: Do you breed spiders, Bill?
invertepet: Yes, I do breed spiders... We've got a regalis eggsac brewing and some other hopefuls (preggo females).
The-Anti-Spider: do you really love spiders???
The-Anti-Spider: there yucky...no offence
invertepet: Heh - we're told to be afraid of spiders and such things as children - it's an imprinting our society 'gives' us.
MR_Jungle_Mist: Same happens with snakes and lizards. We're outcasts!
herphunter: i dont like little spiders,but i like tarantulas
MR_Jungle_Mist: Care to give us a little insight as to how spiders are bred? (ok, I know they have egg sacs...but do you just throw a male a female together?)
invertepet: Well, sometimes you can just throw in the male. Then again, you can lose your males that way. Unlike most herps, female spiders do indeed eat males.
invertepet: When breeding any tarantulas, you need to introduce the male with some caution, and basically keep an eye on them as best you can.
invertepet: The male will usually engage in a courtship dance, and things will either progress from there... Or go very badly, indeed (for him).
herphunter: lol
MR_Jungle_Mist: LOL
The-Anti-Spider: lol
Ms_Terese: ya gotta respect those girl spiders....
The-Anti-Spider: lol
invertepet: Sometimes breeders do various things to 'prep' the female, like adjusting temp, rehousing, exposing the male to some of the female's silk to 'show' him...
herphunter: i used to have a rosehair
The-Anti-Spider: what do you feed tarantulas?
herphunter: crickets
invertepet: You can feed them crickets, roaches and any manner of live insect food you find online. Superworms, etc.
herphunter: some of the bigs eat mice,like the goliaths
The-Anti-Spider: sorry invert, i am lizard person
invertepet: Spiders are really quite amazing creatures once you get to know them and start looking at all the colors, shapes and patterns there are out there.
The-Anti-Spider: oh
The-Anti-Spider: same thing with lizards
Ms_Terese: Other than different varieties of tarantula, are there other spiders that make good pets?
invertepet: Sure, people keep all kinds of spiders. Large Huntsman or 'Giant Crab' spiders from Florida, Malaysia and other parts of the world... Trapdoor spiders
invertepet: are also very popular...
herphunter: saw your site,thinking bout gettin one of you red knees
invertepet: The Mexican Redknee is an awesome tarantula. The 'classic' but also one of the most sought after, for good reason. Beautiful and usually quite docile.
herphunter: as ive heard
invertepet: Very hardy, easy to keep, and extremely long lived (the world record is over 30 years).
Ms_Terese: and what about envenomation from tarantulas........what is the real risk
invertepet: About venom and bites...
invertepet: Bites are rare, especially with more handleable species. I myself haven't been bitten in over 20 years of keeping them.
invertepet: However, there are species that react more defensively to human contact (think of a spider like an old fashioned computer... with relays
invertepet: and banks of switches...)
invertepet: Some spiders are made that they don't see humans as much of a threat...
invertepet: While others see a much greater potential threat to themselves, and react accordingly.
Ms_Terese thinks of how painful that "react accordingly" can be
invertepet: If you handle, say, a Cobalt Blue, you're running a much higher risk of being bitten than a Rose Hair or Redknee.
herphunter: mine knew i wouldnt hurt it,but got in its ways
Ms_Terese: I knew it! The prettier the spider, the more likely to bite.
invertepet: Well, it varies. Most species carry not much worse than a beesting in the venom department. Only a few have 'hotter' toxicity.
herphunter: it had its bad days it didnt want to be handled
MR_Jungle_Mist: What kind of venom is present, mainly? Is it comparable to snake venom?
invertepet: No deaths have ever been reported from any tarantula bite.
invertepet: Your basic tarantula has very weak venom. They rely on quantity to subdue their prey.
invertepet: Well, except for a Redknee, they're not prone to biting at all.
Hlynn1975: tarantula venom is an analog to bee venom, plecos and lionfish are also analogs of bee venom (in case you were interested)
invertepet: So basically, a Rose Hair bite will hurt initially, but no significant side effects to speak of.
herphunter: hence why i dont like small spiders,usually its the smaller ones that are more toxic
herphunter: same in scorpions
invertepet: Some species of tarantula do however have 'hotter' venom. Mostly species from Africa and Asia. India, in particular.
invertepet: The Indian Ornamentals (Poecilotheria genus) are generally though of as having fairly strong venom with neurotoxic qualities.
MR_Jungle_Mist: What can you tell us/me about regular local US tarantulas?
invertepet: Most all USA tarantulas are of the genus Aphonopelma. They're also mostly pretty docile, with a few minor exceptions.
Ms_Terese: like the brown recluse that we find in my house every Spring? *shudders*
invertepet: Brown Recluse bites are hard to get. You basically have to roll over on one, step on it or press it against yourself somehow.
invertepet: They're quite shy. Hence the name.
Ms_Terese: <------------------aka "spidey snack"
MR_Jungle_Mist: Bill> To your knowledge, are there some spiders/tarantulas that are not legal in parts/some/all of the US?
invertepet: Yes, some states have anti-tarantula legislation.
invertepet: You have to check with local laws, but Florida and I believe New York are examples of states that have restricted tarantula sales to some
invertepet: extent
Ms_Terese: lol@anti-tarantula legislation.....our tax dollars at work
invertepet: Yes, it's generally thought to be quite silly to restrict tarantulas.
MR_Jungle_Mist: And how the HECK do you pack and ship tarantulas?
herphunter: in deli cups and dishes like reptiles
invertepet: Packing can be tricky, especially when shipping to really hot or cold climes.
invertepet: I use deli and larger deli-style cups of various sizes, with moistened paper towel. I will also occasionally use heat packs or ice packs, depending.
invertepet: I always use overnight shipping. Invertebrates don't fare well over long voyages.
invertepet: They tend to be prone to drastic temperature shifts, being jostled and general rough handling.
MR_Jungle_Mist: Do most tarantulas need a lot of enclosure room to roam around, or do they prefer something smaller?
invertepet: No, many species do just fine in fairly small enclosure.
invertepet: It depends on the species, though - the size of the spider.
invertepet: A T. blondi (Goliath Birdeater) might require something on the order of a 10 or 15 gallon tank, but that's a spider than can attain 10"+ in span.
Ms_Terese faints
MR_Jungle_Mist: What do you recommend for first time spider/arachnid/tarantula owners?
invertepet: I recommend hardy, more docile species... Rose Hairs, Pink Zebras, Redknees, Pinktoes, that sort of stuff.
invertepet: There are tons of species and varieties to choose from!
invertepet: One great beginner species of the Chaco Golden Knee or Stripe. Gets quite large (8"+) and is super-docile. One of the most relaxed species.
Hlynn1975: how do you clean a spider cage, do you need to destroy their web or can you leave it?
invertepet: Many tarantulas don't put much webbing out, and cleaning isn't usually necessary unless it gets mite or fly infested, or moldy.fungus-y
herphunter: how do you heat your spiders,of coarse if you need to heat them
invertepet: Herp, heating depends again on the species. Some need it fairly warm, in which case undertank heaters like herps, work well. But like...
invertepet: you need to be mindful of the temps and only 'cover' a portion of the tank floor so the spider can self-regulate to an extent.
herphunter: i used an under tank for my rosehair
invertepet: But if you live in a temperate climate, sometimes you don't even need heating.
herphunter: we live in michigan,trust me it gets cold
herphunter: i gave mine a hot and cool side,the hot side i kept moist and the cool side dry. he had a hide on each side,and a water dish in the middle
invertepet: One thing I advise against is heating a 'bug room'. I've heard too many stories of heater thermos going out...
invertepet: And the heaters cooking the spiders.
MR_Jungle_Mist: What does a basic spider enclosure have?
invertepet: Well, substrate and a waterdish are the basics. Other than a hide/refuge or room to burrow, everything else
invertepet: is decorative.
MR_Jungle_Mist: regular potting soil for substrate?
invertepet: potting soil is OK for some, I like to mix it with vermiculite to retain moisture. Soil can dry out and be
invertepet: somewhat difficult to rehydrate.
invertepet: Same with Peat... I like to 'cut' it with verm.
invertepet: Although peat moss is a great all-around substrate.
invertepet: It's also a good idea to only saturate a portion of the substrate (usually around the waterdish)
invertepet: You can 'overfill' and keep a 'range' for the spider to hang out on.
invertepet: Soil can also harbor mold spores and tiny parasites. Best to sterilize it before using.
invertepet: Spiders really do well if you use similar husbandry tactics that many herps require.
MR_Jungle_Mist: What do your friends and family think of Invertepet?
invertepet: My mom has seen my bug interest for many moons - when I was younger she'd find all kinds of escapees.
MR_Jungle_Mist: lol
invertepet: Friends love it. It's like coming to a zoo when they visit.
MR_Jungle_Mist: Do you have an actual storefront, or do you do all this at home?
invertepet: I do all this at home, but I occasionally have people stop by.
MR_Jungle_Mist: we've taken home a few locals for a day or so, but haven't kept them for too long.
MR_Jungle_Mist: The ones around here seem extremely defensive
invertepet: Some species in the US can be somewhat nippy. I was just in New Mexico and some Aphonopelma down
invertepet: there are somewhat aggro.
invertepet: Kind of like the locals.
MR_Jungle_Mist: Most ones we come across here give us this look:
MR_Jungle_Mist: http://www.junglemistreptiles.com/temp/MoTarantula14.jpg
Ms_Terese: they rear up on their hind legs the moment they get approached
Ms_Terese: very young one though
invertepet: Heh... That's a male in that pic, by the way.
MR_Jungle_Mist: How can you tell male/female?
invertepet: You can tell by the hooks under the tibia segment of the front two legs, and the palp bulbs
invertepet: Pretty much the two tipoffs for adult males are palp bulbs and tibial spurs. BUT...
invertepet: Some species don't have the leg spurs.
invertepet: So the extra pedipalp bulb (that's shiny and has a bit of a hook) is the mature male trademark.
invertepet: They're (males) also skinnier and longer-legged on the whole.
invertepet: You can see the spur on the spider's right front leg (remember it's a leg, not the smaller pedipalp)
invertepet: It's the front leg on the spider's right that's curled in a bit. You can see the spur on the 3rd
invertepet: segment from the tip.
herphunter: my rosehair died trying to shed
Ms_Terese: died trying to shed??? how?
invertepet: Males can try to shed after reaching maturity, but usually don't make it. The 'mature' molt is usually the last.
Ms_Terese: ouch
Ms_Terese: what is the life span typically?
invertepet: Lifespan depends on the species, but for most ground-dwelling tarantulas it's 15-20+ years.
MR_Jungle_Mist: for females at least.
MR_Jungle_Mist: lol
invertepet: Yes - males live considerably shorter spans.
invertepet: Usually not more than a couple of years (males). Sometimes more for really long-lived spiders.
herphunter: i bought mine as an adult,so i dont know how old he was
invertepet: A male, herp?
herphunter: im guessing
herphunter: if he wasnt an adult,he was close to being one
invertepet: Tarantula legs are (from tip to base):
invertepet: Tarsus, metatarsus, tibia, patella, femur, coxa.
MR_Jungle_Mist: I've heard that some tarantulas' hair is used as an irritant. It floats off their body/legs and irritates the lungs or passageway. Did I hear that correctly, or did I dream that?
invertepet: Yes, those are called Urticating Hairs. People used to make itching powder out of it! (poor spiders)
MR_Jungle_Mist: defensive mechanism?
invertepet: Only New World (Americas) tarantulas have urticating hairs.
herphunter: oh yeah,hairy used to flick me when he was angry
invertepet: They are indeed a defense mechanism and grow in a patch on the dorsal side
invertepet: of the abdomen.
invertepet: When alarmed, a spider will kick or rub them off in hopes they will deter the threat.
herphunter: yup he was bald after a while
MR_Jungle_Mist: LOL
invertepet: Urticating hairs are actually barbed when you see them under microscope.
invertepet: The 'bald look' is not uncommon with many tarantulas, even docile ones.
invertepet: The hairs sometimes fall off or get rubbed off over time.
invertepet: They can be QUITE bad if they get in your nose or eyes.
invertepet: And some species have more insidious urticating hairs than others... Like Goliath Birdeaters!
herphunter: mine would put its back leg up and start sratching/flicking with it
invertepet: Those things never fail to send me into itching fits for days.
herphunter: when really mad he would rear up and show me his fangs
invertepet: What species, Herp?
herphunter: rosehair
invertepet: Yes, even Rose Hairs can get snotty from time to time.
invertepet: There's one web forum where people were posting their 'pissed off rosie' pics.
Ms_Terese: lol
invertepet: Most people find it cute - an otherwise quite harmless spider trying to seem big and mean!
herphunter: kinda wierd,he was scared of big crickets,so i had to buy him really small ones
invertepet: Spider Insecurities?
Ms_Terese: traumatic hatchling-hood
invertepet: Yes! That's probably it.
MR_Jungle_Mist: I'll have to start paying more attention to the locals.
invertepet: Yep, that's what they do - that's the New World tarantula main defense.
MR_Jungle_Mist: we're often found driving and walking with our ID books looking for stuff.
MR_Jungle_Mist: Still have a few spiders that I have no clue what they are.
invertepet: That's one theory as to why Old World (Asia, Africa, etc) spiders are more defensive, or prone to bite.
invertepet: Because they don't have the hairs to kick.
invertepet: If you post some pics I can try to ID them for you...
MR_Jungle_Mist: hang on...let me try and load one up.
MR_Jungle_Mist: spider with a handfull of spiderlings on her back.
Ms_Terese: ah yes, this will be an interesting pic if he can find it
Ms_Terese: freaked me out
MR_Jungle_Mist: uploading..
invertepet: OK
MR_Jungle_Mist: http://www.junglemistreptiles.com/temp/Spiderlings6.jpg
invertepet: Ah, a wolf spider... Lycosa.
invertepet: Nice picture. They can get quite large and are often confused with tarantulas.
MR_Jungle_Mist: Thank you again, Bill.
invertepet: Hey no problem, maybe next time I'll be early. :D
Ms_Terese: Bill, what's your website addy again?
invertepet: My website is: http://www.invertepet.com

John Apple
07-20-2003, 09:36 AM
Steve
Sorry I missed this one, we had a bit of wind and a branch fell on my service line and I had no power that day............................................... ..............man , a missed opportunity to talk bugs

Biglew45
01-25-2008, 03:21 PM
do u have a photo i could see of a silverback boa.

Mooing Tricycle
01-25-2008, 03:24 PM
do u have a photo i could see of a silverback boa.
youd have a better chance at looking on google, or asking in the Boa Forums this thread is five years old just about.