View Full Version : Iowa state law issues

Adamanteus
07-23-2003, 12:54 AM
State Homepage - http://www.state.ia.us/

State Legislature - http://www.legis.state.ia.us/

State Statutes/Code - http://www.legis.state.ia.us/IAC.html

Cat_72
05-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Anyone know what "certain types of snakes" are included?? From what I heard on the TV news, it seemed to only be venomous?

Iowa Senate OKs exotic animal ban
By: Dan Gearino, Capitol News Service
04/04/2007
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly
DES MOINES - Sen. Joe Seng, a veterinarian, can safely claim to be only legislator who knows how to catch an ostrich.

"You don't grab them by the neck or anything like that. You sort of tackle them around the waist," said Seng, a Davenport Democrat.

His expertise came in handy Tuesday when he helped pass a bill that bans new ownership of certain wild animals. The measure, which passed 48-0, says people who already have wild animals need to register their pets with the state.

The wild animals covered by the bill include lions, tigers, cougars, leopards, ocolots, elephants, bears, monkeys, alligators, crocodiles and certain types of snakes.

Seng said the bill is in response to safety concerns from local animal-control officials.

"Locally, if a person decides to buy an alligator, there is no law saying they can't, unless it's a local ordinance," he said.

The bill has exemptions for zoos, circuses, fairs, animal shelters, veterinarians and research facilities.

Iowans who already own animals covered by the bill would need to pay a registration fee. The fee would be based on the size of the animal, ranging from a high of $500 for an elephant down to $100 for certain types of snakes.

The bill now heads to the House.

Dan Gearino can be reached at (515) 243-0138 or dan.gearino@lee.net.

Link: http://www.midiowanews.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=18168831&BRD=2700&PAG=461&dept_id=554314&rfi=6

Cat_72
05-28-2007, 12:19 AM
This is what I find listed in the bill.....and there's a lot more herps than venomous snakes that I see....

2 23 (8) A member of the order crocodilia, including but not
2 24 limited to alligators, caimans, crocodiles, and gharials.
2 25 (9) A member of the family varanidae of the order
2 26 squamata, which are limited to water monitors and crocodile
2 27 monitors.
2 28 (10) A member of the order squamata which is any of the
2 29 following:
2 30 (a) A member of the family varanidae, which are limited to
2 31 water monitors and crocodile monitors.
2 32 (b) A member of the family atractaspidae, including but
2 33 not limited to mole vipers and burrowing asps.
2 34 (c) A member of the family helodermatidae, including but
2 35 not limited to beaded lizards and gila monsters.
3 1 (d) A member of the family elapidae, voperidae,
3 2 crotalidae, atractaspidae, or hydrophidae which are venomous,
3 3 including but not limited to cobras, mambas, coral snakes,
3 4 kraits, adders, vipers, rattlesnakes, copperheads, pit vipers,
3 5 keelbacks, cottonmouths, and sea snakes.
3 6 (e) A member of the superfamily henophidia, which are
3 7 limited to reticulated pythons, anacondas, and African rock
3 8 pythons.

Proposed "registration fees" :

12 9 f. One hundred dollars for a member of the order
12 10 crocodilia, including but not limited to alligators, caimans,
12 11 crocodiles, and gharials.
12 12 g. Fifty dollars for a member of the family varanidae of
12 13 the order squamata, which are limited to water monitors and
12 14 crocodile monitors.
12 15 h. Fifty dollars for a member of the family atractaspidae,
12 16 including but not limited to mole vipers and burrowing asps.
12 17 i. Fifty dollars for a member of the family
12 18 helodermatidae, including but not limited to beaded lizards
12 19 and gila monsters.
12 20 j. Fifty dollars for a member of the family elapidae,
12 21 voperidae, crotalidae, atractaspidae, or hydrophidae which are
12 22 venomous, including but not limited to cobras, mambas, coral
12 23 snakes, kraits, adders, vipers, rattlesnakes, copperheads, pit
12 24 vipers, keelbacks, cottonmouths, and sea snakes.
12 25 k. One hundred dollars for a member of the superfamily
12 26 henophidia, which are limited to reticulated pythons,
12 27 anacondas, and African rock pythons

General summary:
14 1 EXPLANATION
14 2 This bill creates new Code chapter 717F, which regulates
14 3 the possession of dangerous wild animals which are defined to
14 4 include wolves, coyotes, jackals, hyenas, lions, tigers,
14 5 cougars, leopards, cheetahs, ocelots, servals, bears, pandas,
14 6 rhinoceroses, elephants, primates other than humans,
14 7 alligators, crocodiles, water monitors, venomous snakes, and
14 8 certain constrictors (pythons and anacondas).
14 9 The department of agriculture and land stewardship is
14 10 charged to administer the bill's provisions, although the
14 11 department may execute Code chapter 28E agreements with other
14 12 government entities. The bill prohibits a person from owning
14 13 or possessing a dangerous wild animal, with certain
14 14 exceptions. It prohibits a person from breeding or
14 15 transporting a dangerous wild animal into this state.
14 16 The bill specifically allows a person to possess a
14 17 dangerous wild animal if the person has possession of the
14 18 dangerous wild animal on the effective date of the bill, but
14 19 subject to certain conditions. The person cannot have been
14 20 convicted of an offense relating to animal welfare and cannot
14 21 have recently been convicted of an offense relating to a
14 22 controlled substance or a felony. The person must attach or
14 23 install an electronic identification device to the dangerous
14 24 wild animal or beneath its skin or hide. The person must also
14 25 register the dangerous wild animal with the department. The
14 26 bill requires the person to pay a registration fee which is
14 27 deposited into a special fund controlled by the department.
14 28 The bill also provides that the person must confine the
14 29 dangerous wild animal according to a number of specifications
14 30 designed to secure it from the public. The person must
14 31 maintain liability insurance. The person is strictly liable
14 32 for damages or injuries resulting from the actions of the
14 33 dangerous wild animal.

Link to full bill: http://nxtsearch.legis.state.ia.us/NXT/gateway.dll?qt=&f=templates&xhitlist_q=snake&fn=default.htm&xhitlist_d=curleg

Bill & Amy
05-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Most of the stuff listed is either very large animals or venomous. I'm truly surprised to see burms made it through without being on the list. Most of it is just registering the animals and not a ban.

Bill & Amy
05-28-2007, 12:57 AM
Another thing, I just want to say the original list and rules were going to be bans and complete registration of all herps. We owe alot to some members of the Iowa Herp Society for their participation in getting it reduced to what has now passed. If it wasn't for them most of us would have to get rid of our animals. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cat_72
05-28-2007, 08:15 AM
Obviously better than what was originally proposed.....but what bothers me is the following line:

While specific animals are noted earlier in the bill, here it simply says, "pythons and anacondas". After so long working with "breed bans"....I know how simple wording like this can be a loophole in favor of law enforcement who want to see someone with PYTHONS have a very difficult time.

And while those who already have those animals can keep them (if following the proper registration and meeting the criteria)....it DOES strictly prohibit anyone new from getting those animals, as well as the breeding and sale of any of these animals.

Call me jaded, but I've seen how laws like this dealing with "dangerous dogs" have been misused and misinterpreted a million times. Don't get me wrong....the folks who helped to work on this have done an awesome job. Its those who end up interpreting it that I'm worried about.

Bill & Amy
05-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Obviously better than what was originally proposed.....but what bothers me is the following line:

While specific animals are noted earlier in the bill, here it simply says, "pythons and anacondas". After so long working with "breed bans"....I know how simple wording like this can be a loophole in favor of law enforcement who want to see someone with PYTHONS have a very difficult time.

And while those who already have those animals can keep them (if following the proper registration and meeting the criteria)....it DOES strictly prohibit anyone new from getting those animals, as well as the breeding and sale of any of these animals.

Call me jaded, but I've seen how laws like this dealing with "dangerous dogs" have been misused and misinterpreted a million times. Don't get me wrong....the folks who helped to work on this have done an awesome job. Its those who end up interpreting it that I'm worried about.

That is just the "Explanation" part of the bill and carries no merit on actual affected animals. There is no "ban" in effect, just registration. This is the only part that affects either on of us. :thumbsup: It doesn't have anything listed that we have.

Bill & Amy
05-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Link to full bill: http://nxtsearch.legis.state.ia.us/NXT/gateway.dll?qt=&f=templates&xhitlist_q=snake&fn=default.htm&xhitlist_d=curleg

Cathy this link isn't working. You're right it does ban new ownership of the animals listed, but ball pythons, boas and burmese pythons are not listed. I have talked to the peope that are friends with Herp Society members that worked on the bill and they reassured me it only affects the snakes listed.

Cat_72
05-28-2007, 12:30 PM
I just clicked on it again, and it works for me.

When the page comes up, try clicking on the "document" tab.

Bill & Amy
05-28-2007, 12:33 PM
I just clicked on it again, and it works for me.

When the page comes up, try clicking on the "document" tab.

It comes up "Service Unavailable". :shrug01:

Cat_72
05-28-2007, 12:35 PM
LOL, still working here, even after cleaning out my cookies.

Ya want me to try to copy and paste the whole darn thing here??

Bill & Amy
05-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Can you try to paste the link again? :ack2:

Cat_72
05-28-2007, 12:39 PM
http://nxtsearch.legis.state.ia.us/NXT/gateway.dll?qt=&f=templates&xhitlist_q=snake&fn=default.htm&xhitlist_d=curleg

Bill & Amy
05-28-2007, 12:44 PM
I give up, I tried it in Internet Explorer and Netscape and it says "Service Unavailable" in both when I click on that link. :ack2: :shrug01:

I guess I will try later.

Bill & Amy
05-29-2007, 10:19 AM
That is just the "Explanation" part of the bill and carries no merit on actual affected animals. There is no "ban" in effect, just registration. This is the only part that affects either on of us. :thumbsup: It doesn't have anything listed that we have.

Sorry, ban on new ownership after bill takes effect.

Precision Pythons
05-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi Everyone, I heard through the grapevine that Gov Culver is considering a statewide ban on all boa/python species? Has anyone else heard anything of this sort or is this just hear-say? Any information is appreciated.

Cat_72
05-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Hmmm.....I have heard nothing about a complete statewide ban, though some localities have tried to enact such.

I'll have to do some checking, though I don't see anything that drastic statewide coming about, unless it gets snuck in as "fine print" in something else....

Cat_72
05-05-2008, 02:31 AM
Well, from what I can gather so far, there is no complete ban in the works, however the bill as proposed eariler in this thread did indeed pass. I'll copy and paste a portion of it here, though it is VERY lengthy....there are many more provisions and requirements that I'm not including, just the main points.

"Dangerous wild animal" means any of the following:
1. A member of the family canidae of the order carnivora, including but not limited to wolves, coyotes, and jackals. However, a dangerous wild animal does not include a domestic dog.
2. A member of the family hyaenidae of the order of carnivora, including but not limited to hyenas.
3. A member of the family felidae of the order carnivora, including but not limited to lions, tigers, cougars, leopards, cheetahs, ocelots, and servals. However, a dangerous wild animal does not include a domestic cat.
4. A member of the family ursidae of the order carnivora, including bears and pandas.
5. A member of the family rhinocero tidae of the order perissodactyla, which is a rhinoceros.
6. A member of the order proboscidea, which are any species of elephant.
7. A member of the order of primates other than humans, and including the following families: callitrichiadae, cebidae, cercopithecidae, cheirogaleidae, daubentoniidae, galagonidae, hominidae, hylobatidae, indridae, lemuridae, loridae, megaladapidae, or tarsiidae. A member includes but is not limited to marmosets, tamarins, monkeys, lemurs, galagos, bush babies, great apes, gibbons, lesser apes, indris, sifakas, and tarsiers.
8. A member of the order crocodilia, including but not limited to alligators, caimans, crocodiles, and gharials.
9. A member of the family varanidae of the order squamata, which are limited to water monitors and crocodile monitors.
10. A member of the order squamata which is any of the following:
• A member of the family varanidae, which are limited to water monitors and crocodile monitors.
• A member of the family atractaspidae, including but not limited to mole vipers and burrowing asps.
• A member of the family helodermatidae, including but not limited to beaded lizards and gila monsters.
• A member of the family elapidae, voperidae, crotalidae, atractaspidae, or hydrophidae which are venomous, including but not limited to cobras, mambas, coral snakes, kraits, adders, vipers, rattlesnakes, copperheads, pit vipers, keelbacks, cottonmouths, and sea snakes.
• A member of the superfamily henophidia, which are limited to reticulated pythons, anacondas, and African rock pythons

21-77.2(82GA,SF564,SF601) Prohibitions. Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a person shall not own or possess a dangerous wild animal, cause or allow a dangerous wild animal owned by a person or in the person's possession to breed, or transport a dangerous wild animal into this state.
21-77.3(82GA,SF564,SF601) Continued ownership-requirements of the individual. A person who owns or possesses a dangerous wild animal on July 1, 2007, may continue to own or possess the dangerous wild animal if the person is 18 years old or older and meets all of the following:
77.3(1) The person must not have been convicted of an offense involving the abuse or neglect of an animal pursuant to a law of this state or another state, including but not limited to the provisions of Iowa Code chapter 717, 717B, 717C, or 717D or an ordinance adopted by a city or county.
77.3(2) The department, another state, or the federal government must not have suspended an application for a permit or license or revoked a permit or license required to operate a commercial establishment for the care, breeding, or sale of animals, including as provided in Iowa Code chapter 162.
77.3(3) The person must not have been convicted of a felony for an offense committed within the last ten years, as provided by the Code of Iowa, under the laws of another state, or under federal law.
77.3(4) The person must not have been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony for an offense committed within the last ten years involving a controlled substance, as defined in Iowa Code section 124.101, in this state, under the laws of another state, or under federal law.
21-77.7(82GA,SF564,SF601) Continued ownership-registration fee.
77.7(1) The person who continues to own or possess a dangerous wild animal must pay the department an annual registration fee as follows:
a. $500 for a member of the order proboscidea, which are any species of elephant.
b. $500 for a member of the family rhinocero tidae of the order perissodactyla, which is a rhinoceros.
c. $300 for a member of the family ursidae of the order carnivora, which is limited to bears.
d. For a member of the family felidae of the order carnivora, all of the following:
(1) $300 for a member of the subfamily pantherinae, limited to leopards other than snow leopards, lions, and tigers; and for a member of the subfamily felinae limited to pumas, jaguars, and cougars.
(2) $200 for a member of the subfamily felinae limited to bobcats, clouded leopards, cheetahs, and lynx.
(3) $100 for a member of the subfamily felinae limited to caracals, desert cats, Geoffroy's cats, jungle cats, margays, ocelots, servals, and wild cats.
e. For a member of the order of primates other than humans, all of the following:
(1) $300 for a member commonly referred to as an ape, belonging to the hylobatidae family such as gibbons and siamangs, or to the pongidae family including gorillas, orangutans, or chimpanzees.
(2) $150 for a member commonly referred to as an old world monkey, belonging to the family cercopithecidae, including but not limited to macaques, rhesus, mangabeys, mandrills, guenons, patas monkeys, langurs, and proboscis monkeys.
(3) $50 for a member commonly referred to as a new world monkey belonging to the family cebidae, including but not limited to cebids, including capuchin monkeys, howlers, woolly monkeys, squirrel monkeys, night monkeys, titis, uakaris, or to the family callitrichidae, including but not limited to marmosets and tamarins.
f. $100 for a member of the order crocodilia, including but not limited to alligators, caimans, crocodiles, and gharials.
g. $50 for a member of the family varanidae of the order squamata, which are limited to water monitors and crocodile monitors.
h. $50 for a member of the family atractaspidae, including but not limited to mole vipers and burrowing asps.
i. $50 for a member of the family helodermatidae, including but not limited to beaded lizards and gila monsters.
j. $50 for a member of the family elapidae, voperidae, crotalidae, atractaspidae, or hydrophidae which are venomous, including but not limited to cobras, mambas, coral snakes, kraits, adders, vipers, rattlesnakes, copperheads, pit vipers, keelbacks, cottonmouths, and sea snakes.
k. $100 for a member of the superfamily henophidia, which is limited to reticulated pythons and anacondas.
l. $10 for swine which is a member of the species sus scrofa Linnaeus, including but not limited to swine commonly known as Russian boar or European boar of either sex.
77.7(2) The department shall collect either an original registration fee or a renewal registration fee. The renewal fee is one-half the amount of the original fee

21-77.6(82GA,SF564,SF601) Continued ownership-registration form.
77.6(1) The person who continues to own or possess a dangerous wild animal must notify the department using a registration form prepared by the department not later than December 31, 2007.
77.6(2) The registration form shall include all of the following information:
a. The person's name, address, and telephone number.
b. A sworn affidavit that the person meets the requirements necessary to own or possess a dangerous wild animal as provided in this chapter.
c. A complete inventory of each dangerous wild animal which the person owns or possesses. The inventory shall include all of the following information:
(1) The number of dangerous wild animals according to species.
(2) The name of the manufacturer and number of the manufacturer's electronic device implanted in or attached to each dangerous wild animal.
(3) The location where each dangerous wild animal is kept. The person must notify the department in writing within ten days of a change of address or of the location where the dangerous wild animal is kept.
(4) The approximate age, sex, color, weight, scars, and any distinguishing marks of each dangerous wild animal.
(5) The name, business mailing address, and business telephone number of the licensed veterinarian who is responsible for providing care to the dangerous wild animal. The information shall include a statement signed by the licensed veterinarian certifying that the dangerous wild animal is in good health.
(6) A color photograph of the dangerous wild animal.
(7) A copy of a current liability insurance policy as required in rule 77.4(82GA,SF564,SF601). The person shall submit a copy of the current liability policy to the department each year.

casketmaker
01-07-2010, 02:09 AM
Why did I move to Iowa? I need to move somewhere that does not restrict every aspect of your life. In this little Iowa town a cop can actually arrest you for giving him the stink eye. I was almost arrested because I said "are you serious" to a cop who was going to arrest my 12 year old son for walking down the street with a TOY gun. He said he can arrest me any time he wants for anything I do and all he has to say is that I am interfeering with official duty. I have to get out of here.

Pixtaker
01-08-2010, 06:50 PM
You should get his name and badge number and report him to his boss. Even in small towns cops aren't above the law.

Why did I move to Iowa? I need to move somewhere that does not restrict every aspect of your life. In this little Iowa town a cop can actually arrest you for giving him the stink eye. I was almost arrested because I said "are you serious" to a cop who was going to arrest my 12 year old son for walking down the street with a TOY gun. He said he can arrest me any time he wants for anything I do and all he has to say is that I am interfeering with official duty. I have to get out of here.

Twizted Paths
01-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Wow. I am sooo glad I never did move there when my now ex wanted me to.

ShelbyGT
07-10-2011, 07:13 PM
I hope to move out of Iowa someday, I live in the city of Council Bluffs and pet stores here are not allowed to sell ANY kind of constricting snakes, even cornsnakes! I find this ridiculous. And I would like a retic one day, which wont happen if I stay in Iowa :<

burtotnwin08
01-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Serious question I hope someone can help me with. If I live in Iowa, how do i go about obtaining a permit to own a water monitor? and another question, if water monitor is on the list, how is "nile monitor" not? I am not interested in owning large snakes or venomous snakes at all but would like to be able to own a water monitor. Any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!