PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Rat/Mice food

cavu
04-16-2002, 09:40 PM
I can't beleve that rat pellets cost $24 a bag.  Thats what I paid today.  I have 6 colonies of mice ( 1 buck & 4-5 does per colony + the 20 or so feeders I keep to feed) and they eat about a bag a month.  I feed 10 adult Corns and Kings an average of 1.5 mice per week (figured year around).  The way I have it figured, it would be cheaper to buy frozen mice and save myself the frustration of getting someone to feed and water my mice when I am out of town.  What do you think?

franklinedwards60
04-16-2002, 10:13 PM
yes rodent chow is about that price varies a dollar or two plus or minus. Unless you buy buy the truck load. That is why I feed mine a mix of rabbit pellets, cracked corn, black sunflower seed, and Wild Bird seed. This might help in your cost. The mix would be as follows,   Say 10 cups rabbit pellets, 5 cups cracked corn, 2 cups wild bird seed, and 2 cups black sun flower seeds. This is just an example of the mix.
Or you can check out my prices for frozen rodents. Frank

bpc
04-17-2002, 07:53 AM
Mike, where do you live?  Wow! that's high.  Mazuri is expensive but I think the last time I priced it here in FL it was $17 for 40lbs (one bag at a time).  FRM is now making a rodent chow it works well from what I've seen and it's only $12 for 50 lbs.  Another brand I haven't tried yet is Harlan Teklan I think it's around $12 for 40lbs.  Look around you should be able to find another option.  Worst case senario - medicated sow pellets (pig food) works great also.  I used that for 2 years before I found another reasonable option.  Hope this helps.

cavu
04-17-2002, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the advise.  I will check into both suggestions.

Mike Blackston

stevejokes
04-18-2002, 09:24 PM
F-R-M (flint river mills) makes a rodent block,they are labelled as pellots...that is 10.90 for 50 pounds,my mice do just as good as when i feed Mazuri..plus i add a good mix of seeds and some lettuce