PDA

View Full Version : Gardening

Lucille
02-25-2011, 11:24 AM
I have been a gardener for a lifetime, so I want to start this thread about survival gardening. I also grow roses and daylilies but this thread is mostly about food gardening. Please add your own thoughts/experiences.

Try to mostly grow what grows where you are. I grew blueberries for a while but they needed much more coddling than the other plants in my garden. They are gone now. Plants like tomatoes and peppers bear heavily here and are easier to grow, they are better choices. Muscadines in the south are amazing and easy if you want jelly or wine.

I have what I think is a good size garden but nowhere near the size of some people's gardens. But you can get a lot of food out of a relatively small space if you organize what you are doing. Plus, if you are too ambitious, plant giant acres of land and then you don't have time to keep up with it, your gardening space will turn into an ugly weedy mess. Take some time to decide exactly what is right for you.

If you are young, plant trees. I planted figs, satsuma oranges, a lemon tree and now that I am older they are bearing and providing food. I live in a burb, you can plant a tree just about anywhere you have a little patch of land.

Blackberries are easy to grow in the South. A genuine home made blackberry cobbler with Blue Bell ice cream is always appreciated by my family.

I bought a canner once, I'm not sure if I ever used it because I didn't have time to learn how to use it safely. I am thinking of buying another one.
Storing food is a good idea.
Caution: Wear gloves when harvesting and processing hot peppers. I still have the burn spray that I tried to use to lessen the searing pain of a garden harvest that included habaneros and the like.
Speaking of burns, start off easy. I have a sunburn right now that's so bad I'm gonna peel, but I've been out in the back yard all week doing stuff and didn't pay any mind when the sun got too hot.

Learn to make peace with bugs if you can. Of course if you have locusts or Japanese beetles or some other bug that decimates your crop you have to do something, but lately the only bug I kill using insecticides are the fire ants.
I found over the years that if I planted a little more than I needed, the birds got some, the bugs got some, and I got some, and as long as I got enough I didn't mind sharing. I have some green tree frogs and garden toads and I think they live back there because I have bugs.
I used to grow strawberries and after the birds and bugs filled their plates I didn't get hardly anything so I just stopped growing them since the blackberries require little care and are heavy bearers and I get a larger percent back after the birds and bugs get theirs.

Consider planting a few heirloom varieties. Modern vegetables were developed to be resistant to diseases,which can be very important if you are depending on bringing in a crop, but there are heirloom vegetables that are worth growing and delicious. Plant both.

Darkice
02-27-2011, 03:58 PM
I have 2 gardens in my backyard. They are 20ft by 20ft each. I grow about 3 times what we can consume and all the extras go to friends and family. I plan on redesigning my backyard as soon as the ground thaws. I want to make 6x3x2ft high boxes all along my fence. (gives the kid more room to play)

I would like to get into canning and I have everything I need from my mom but just haven't started yet. Right now we just freeze enough to get us through winter.

This season im going to grow:

3 kinds of beans.
2 kinds of corn
cabbage
2 kinds of carrots
kohlrabi
3 kinds of lettuce
cantaloupe
2 kinds of radish
cucumbers
snap peas
tomatoes

That’s all I can think of right now. will most likely be more things if I have room.
This will be the first year for corn.

The prices of fresh vegetables are climbing and getting ridicules. We hardly ever buy them from the store. In 2 more years my apple and pear trees will start to produce. Can’t wait.

Forgot to add. I also have 5 hens for the eggs. Can't have roosters where i live but if things get out of hand and food becomes scarce i will get one and keep it in my garage so i can make more chickens.

Next year i'm hoping to get at least 5 deer to fill the freezer. Will be the first year that i will process them myself. Its a nasty job but it's not worth paying a butcher $100 for each one i bring in.

Darkice
02-27-2011, 04:01 PM
We might also do peppers this year. I dont like them that much. I will add them to stir fry then pick them out after they get cooked hehe. I like a little of their flavor but to actually bite into one almost kills me.

Southern Wolf
02-27-2011, 09:41 PM
If you're thinking of doing a garden... look into companion planting. That will help with your insect problems. Not every insect in your garden is a bad insect. If you can attract more beneficials then they will eat the bad insects... which will help you use less or no chemicals and have a larger crop.

Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
03-03-2011, 08:05 AM
I've gardened for pretty much my entire life~ but since I moved here to Alabama my gardens have been dismal at best~ many fruits have been complete failures. This year I've taken the composted hay/manure from my little barn and put it in the garden to help add nutrients to the soil. I suspect part of my problem is that I have always been lucky enough to live on pretty fertile land but here it's just not enough for a good garden and needs some supplemental nutrients.

With that in mind~ rather than disposing of the rat litter on the back of the property and trying to hide it~ I"m building cinder block pits to keep it in (on the back of the property where I won't smell it!) and hopefully compost it into a good soil amendment. I've been reading and it looks like I won't have enough green in it so it will take longer....and I have NO INTENTION of attempting to turn that mess so again....it will take longer! But I'm hoping if I put it in the pits~ water regularly and wait for a couple years I will have compost. Anyone else using the rat litter to create garden supplements? How's it working for you?

Southern Wolf
03-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Cheryl.... bunny pelletes is the best supplement for your garden. You can even put it straight on it (dont have to compost it). Might want to raise some bunnies :thumbsup:

Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
03-03-2011, 03:30 PM
bunnies are a sore subject here. I have two bunnies. I bought them at the weekend swap~ a male and a female. I let them go in the pen with the silkie chickens and the peafowl. I was expecting that in a few weeks they would either have escaped and be gone or I would have lots of little bunny friers......

We think I'm running a home for old geriatric bunnies
The bunnies won't make baby bunnies~ been 9 or 10 months now.....lots and lots of bunny sex...but no baby bunnies. The bunnies that were half wild and terrified of us when I got them have learned to run to us and beg for a handout when we feed the peafowl....they are WAY TOO CUTE, and WAY TOO FUNNY to kill and eat, and they don't make baby bunnies......

stupid bunnies

susang
03-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Cheryl.... bunny pelletes is the best supplement for your garden. You can even put it straight on it (dont have to compost it). Might want to raise some bunnies :thumbsup:

You can also create a worm bed under your bunny hutch, worm castings are excellent fertilizer.
We know live in the city, but in the past have farmed. We now have raised beds and we get a fair amount of produce. Even last year with are bad growig season we canned over 50 jars of tomatoes and spaghetti sauce.
We grow various berries-raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and blueberrys, also kiwis and figs.
This year we a re foucing on tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and herbs.