PDA

View Full Version : Hot Hot Hot

Sssnaker boy
08-15-2003, 10:46 AM
i just bought a ball python (im so excited) and i have about a 29 gl. tank and i have a 100 watt heating bulb. when i turn it on the thermometer goes up to about 95-100 degrees F. and is that too much or should i always leave the light on?

Rob BryertonRKK
08-15-2003, 11:42 AM
Hi, yes that is too hot. I suggest getting an undertank heater and a thermostat. They are much better than lights. You need a temp. gradiant. The whole enclosure cannot be 90*-100* constantly you will kill your snake.
When you get your UTH and Thermostat try it out while your BP is in another container until you get the temp right and the enclosure doesn't have high temp spikes that may hurt your animal.
An aquarium isn't an ideal enclosure for a BP but you can make it work. Back in the "old days" I found that a 20 gal long or 55 gal were the best at having a temp gradiant in the aquarium dept. Get a small UTH if you stay with the 29 or get a 20L and follow the directions so you don't crack the glass. Make sure you have a thermostat and don't set your aquarium in sunlight.
Congrats on your new Ball Python.
Rob:)