PDA

View Full Version : Intrested

animekid15
08-28-2003, 10:30 PM
Im Intrested In Getting A Ball Anything I Should Know I Wana Know All I Can Before I Get One

Clay Davenport
08-28-2003, 11:34 PM
Balls are great snakes to keep, my collection hasn't been without at least one for 13 years.
To get a good foundation about their care, I'd suggest you get a copy of "The Ball Python Manual". It's an inexpensive but well written basic guide to ball python needs etc.
Here is a link to the book on Amazon.com Ball Python Manual (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1882770285/qid=1062126431/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-7001667-3395339?v=glance&s=books)

I don't intend to make an "everything there is to know about balls" post here, but if you have specific questions feel free to ask and we'll do our best to answer them.

jega
08-31-2003, 11:14 PM
The only thing that I can think to tell you before you read the manual is research research research. I cannot stress enough the importance of finding a reputable breeder and make absolutely positively sure that your new bp is an established eater. As long as you get everything right in your enclosure (which you will learn how to do from the manual) and as long as you make sure of it's feeding habits, you shouldn't have a problem. They are very undemanding animals to be honest and they are not as hard to take care of as some may say. Good luck!!!

NEWReptiles
08-31-2003, 11:16 PM
That manuel has quite a bit of very outdated info in it.

I would advise you to find good info elsewhere.

jega
08-31-2003, 11:46 PM
Yes realvenum is right. Some, i repeat, some, of the information in the bp manual is outdated. For example the part about not handling your bp very much at all. That had been proven wrong. As long as you let your snake acclimate properly there should be no problem even with extensive handling because it has been proven that bp's do become very "friendly" snakes and are curious animals. My snake enjoys her daily handling sessions. The things you need from the bp manual are correct in that book. For example the information about breeding and housing and the information about diseases and signs and so on and so forth are very accurate. It's your decision of what info you decide to get but the bp manual is very handy and very informative.

NEWReptiles
09-01-2003, 12:09 AM
To the best of my knowledge, It also states that Ball eggs take 90 days to hatch

Clay Davenport
09-01-2003, 01:12 AM
It says the eggs hatch in 53-60 days, averaging 57 days (n=22 clutches).
The Barkers wrote the section on breeding, I doubt they'd make a mistake of that nature.

mykee
10-15-2003, 04:32 PM
?!