PDA

View Full Version : Reptaid?

Katie.Shinkle
05-27-2011, 01:35 AM
Anyone have any experience using this stuff? I have a bearded dragon (baby) that goes on and off food, pretty sure he's stressed as I've never had this problem. I've since covered his tank to keep him from seeing me, and thought it might be beneficial to treat with Reptaid (at least, from what I'm reading it's supposed to do). Would LOVE to hear your experiences with it! Thanks!

tomb9712
05-29-2011, 12:47 AM
It does work very well if you use it correctly. You have to follow the dosing and treatment length. Never used it on stress though. It did wonders for parasites.

Katie.Shinkle
05-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Thanks! It wouldn't be for treating stress obviously, but to increase appetite.

millipede
06-01-2011, 07:57 PM
I would recommend reptiad, but do you have any idea what may be causing the stress? Is he a recent arrival?

redhood23
06-01-2011, 08:08 PM
can you use it for ball pythons? I have a male green ghost that will not feed at all.

Katie.Shinkle
06-01-2011, 08:29 PM
I would recommend reptiad, but do you have any idea what may be causing the stress? Is he a recent arrival?

I got him earlier this year but just recently moved, so I'm guessing it's mainly that.

millipede
06-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Ball pythons refuse to eat for many reasons...force feeding reptaid may make the problem worse. Are you feeding live or f/t?

millipede
06-01-2011, 08:42 PM
I got him earlier this year but just recently moved, so I'm guessing it's mainly that.

If so, maybe he can recover from it on his own with increased temperatures and food variety, unless it's been going off and on for some time.

Katie.Shinkle
06-01-2011, 09:34 PM
It's been since we moved here (3 months or so?). He won't eat outside his tub, or if I'm near his tank, but by the time I'm out of view and he's confident enough, most of the roaches are out of the bowl and under the paper towels. He's stubborn Haha.

tomb9712
06-01-2011, 09:36 PM
It really depends how big the ball is. If it's less then 200 grams I would say yes, 300 - 500 less effective, over 500 not all that effective. I used on balls so i say this from experience.

can you use it for ball pythons? I have a male green ghost that will not feed at all.

redhood23
06-01-2011, 09:38 PM
It is a 1000 gram male. went off feed about 6 months ago and has dropped alot of weight.

tomb9712
06-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Yeah I doubt it would work on a ball that big. The amount you'd have to give him would be a task to get him to take it down. A trip to the vet might be in order.

millipede
06-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Yeah I doubt it would work on a ball that big. The amount you'd have to give him would be a task to get him to take it down. A trip to the vet might be in order.

They make reptaid for larger reptiles called 'Reptaid XL'. I used it on my iguana.

tomb9712
06-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Yes I'm aware of it, but with a ball that size you'd still have to give him far more then would be easily administered to him. Lizards will take it fairly readily but a ball python will get insanely stressed trying to stick a dosing needle down his throat for the amount of time per day it would take to give it enough to make any sort of difference. I've tried it it didn't work out too well.

millipede
06-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Yes I'm aware of it, but with a ball that size you'd still have to give him far more then would be easily administered to him. Lizards will take it fairly readily but a ball python will get insanely stressed trying to stick a dosing needle down his throat for the amount of time per day it would take to give it enough to make any sort of difference. I've tried it it didn't work out too well.

If the python hasn't eaten in that long, it might just be a behavioral problem. Of course it would be a good idea to get a fecal and blood work done to check for a problem, but it's likely nothing will be found and they will need to force feed. If so, they can put the reptaid dose in the mixture.

millipede
06-03-2011, 02:13 PM
You can also try holding the snake's head sideways and inserting a small rodent in it's mouth, small enough so that it looks like it can be stuffed in with ease, but only attempt to place it in the mouth. Then immediately put a dark blanket over the snake and close the enclosure.