PDA

View Full Version : Python escapes in UPS truck

Clay Davenport
09-09-2003, 12:09 AM
Python reaches destination

Friday, September 05, 2003

By SEAN C. McCULLEN
Staff Writer

BRIDGETON -- The county's -- and arguably the country's -- most famous python is now home safe and sound.

The owners of the 7-foot-long Burmese python, which drew nationwide media attention after a UPS deliveryman discovered the large snake was slithering loose in the rear of his truck here Wednesday, picked it up from the Cohanzick Zoo Thursday afternoon.

The python was given its new name -- ChewBoxa -- courtesy of its unusual, and some would say inhumane, shipping experience.

Tina Gettings, 22, and Chris Altizer, 24, both of Fayette Street, found it comical that city animal control officer Bill Knipe told the News the python had chewed its way out of the box in which a New Mexico man had overnight mailed it.

"Pythons don't chew. He pushed his way out of the box. Pythons are like Houdini -- if they find a weakness, they'll find a way to get out," Altizer said.

Nathan Thaye, of Las Cruces, N.M., overnight mailed the python to Altizer Tuesday after the two had reached an agreement on the Internet two weeks ago.

Altizer was to breed the python with his 2-year-old albino python, and then send some of the offspring back to New Mexico in exchange.

The problem was the 1- to 2-year-old python was sent in a small cardboard box without proper ventilation. Adding to the confusion of the situation, UPS policies prevent customers from shipping most animals, a spokesman said.

Altizer was relieved he was able to pick up the Burmese python from the Cohanzick Zoo, where it was being held until authorities figured out how to handle the situation.

"I'm happy that I've got (the snake) back. But I'm angry about the fines and about the way he shipped (it)," Altizer said.

Altizer is facing fines up to $5,000 for failing to obtain permits to own regulated species, according to Mark Leonard of the state Division of Fish and Wildlife.

In the interest of protecting indigenous New Jersey wildlife, as well as residents, the state requires permits for any exotic pets, Leonard said.

Leonard, who visited Gettings' and Altizer's home, said it was a no-brainer to allow them to pick up their python.

"He seems quite knowledgeable. I don't think he'll have any problems taking care of (it). And all of the other animals seemed healthy and well-maintained," he said.

Altizer called Thaye Thursday afternoon.

According to Altizer, Thaye was apologetic for sending ChewBoxa in the small box and creating the unwanted attention from wildlife authorities.

"If he would have shipped it properly, we would not have had any problems," Altizer said, referring to the fines he is now facing.

Gettings noted the couple was in the process of obtaining permits from the state for their albino python, as well as two red-tailed, Colombian boa constrictors, two geckoes and a Savannah monitor.

When asked if he thought Thaye should be charged for improperly shipping the python, Altizer said: "Go for it! If I'm going to get some fines because this guy is going to screw up, then yeah, I think he should get fined."

Bev Greco, shelter manager with the Cumberland County SPCA, said local officials have contacted the national SPCA about notifying authorities in New Mexico. She expects the information will be forwarded today.

Greco said she could not believe the story when she first heard it.

"I'm flabbergasted by it. I can't believe that anyone would try to ship any living animal in the manner that this gentleman did, but especially one that could present a danger to the public," Greco said.

"I really can't believe the snake survived," she added, noting a Burmese python must be kept in warm areas.

Altizer was shocked to learn the python was OK, too.

"I was extremely agitated by the fact that (it) could have been in shipping and could have been dead or dying," he said.

In spite of the fact that ChewBoxa could grow to be 20 feet long, Altizer said his neighbors are fine with him owning three snakes and several lizards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.nj.com/news/bridgeton/local/index.ssf?/base/news-5/106276471241770.xml

Clay Davenport
09-09-2003, 12:36 AM
Here's an earlier article on the same incident.

http://www.nj.com/news/bridgeton/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1062685517109630.xml

I particularly liked these excerpts from this article:
A 7-foot-long python was recovered here Wednesday after it had chewed its way through a box in the rear of a UPS delivery truck as it neared the end of its overnight trip from Las Cruces, New Mexico, police said.
"I don't know the anti-cruelty laws about shipping animals, but I would think that would be considered inhumane," Catalano said. "If you're going to ship an animal, you should make sure it has air, food and water."

So now pythons chew their way out of confinement.
And we better start packing a lunch for the snakes we ship. Be sure to put in a couple of dead rats and a water bowl in the box or the SPCA will think you're inhumane.

Darin Chappell
09-09-2003, 09:21 AM
I also liked the following:

"If he would have shipped it properly, we would not have had any problems," Altizer said, referring to the fines he is now facing."

Uh . . .NO! If you had the necessary permits for the State in which you lived and were not holding animals ILLEGALLY, you would not have any problems, clown. All this guy did was get you CAUGHT!

Also:

"When asked if he thought Thaye should be charged for improperly shipping the python, Altizer said: "Go for it! If I'm going to get some fines because this guy is going to screw up, then yeah, I think he should get fined."

That's right; who cares about the industry as whole? Who cares if they completely shut down the internet trade? Who cares if the only reptiles you'll have access to are the ones crawling in your flower bed? After all, you got caught in an illegal act, now everyone should be exposed for shipping with UPS, FedEx, etc., right????

Morons . . .all of them are morons!

Especially the people worried about pythons not being warm enough while being shipped in the summer, and wanting water available in the box! Do you think it might spill, cause the interior of the box to become sauna-like, or anything, Einstein??

I'm sick of all of them! :angry:

kingmike
09-09-2003, 11:22 AM
I am seriously awed by the ignorance of people. There are so many things in that small story that scream moron it is almost dumbfounding. " Chewed it's way out" "Food and water in a cardboard box" " Contacted SPCA". In a lot of ways that is just really sad. Idiots like these people are going to cost us this wonderful hobby.

NEWReptiles
09-09-2003, 11:38 AM
UPS story (http://www.bobclark.com/bcforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16216&FORUM_ID=1&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=Stupid+People%21%21+%2ASomewhat+long+r ead%2A&Forum_Title=Bob+Clark+Main)

Darin Chappell
09-09-2003, 12:46 PM
The one thing that caught my attention was the supposed prosecution for shipping with UPS and such companies. Supposedly with a maximum fine of $5,000 and/or one year in jail as the sentence possibilities.

I don't believe that is accurate at all. n I don't believe you can prosecute a customer simply for violating your company's policies. Are those possibilities referring to sentences under Lacey Act violations instead?

Clay Davenport
09-09-2003, 02:52 PM
I was thinking the same thing Darin. If that report is accurate, it has to be Lacy Act violations.
It might be possible to impose a fine for violation of company policy of there was some fine print that you had to agree to before using the service, although I seriously doubt that even. Perhaps a penalty applied to ones account, but not an actual fine in the legal sense of the term.
Regardless, there is no way one can get jail time unless they have violated a state or federal law etc. You just can't be sent to a state run facility unless you violate the state's laws, and the policies of a company simply do not apply.

DThomas
09-09-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Darin Chappell
The one thing that caught my attention was the supposed prosecution for shipping with UPS and such companies. Supposedly with a maximum fine of $5,000 and/or one year in jail as the sentence possibilities.

I don't believe that is accurate at all. n I don't believe you can prosecute a customer simply for violating your company's policies. Are those possibilities referring to sentences under Lacey Act violations instead?

The fine is for not having the proper permits issued by the State of New Jersey. He could be fined for the burm and the rest of his collection they discovered.

Clay Davenport
09-09-2003, 04:12 PM
The fines Darin was referring to was from a post on Bob Clark's forums, not the fines in this case.
The first quote was
As far as shipping with FedEx, I've got an uncle that's a mgr at one of FedEx's largest call centers. He told me that they have a strict rule on no shipping of live animals. He also said that in the last year they have prosecuted 5 people that have shipped reptiles. He said it's just not worth the risk of getting in trouble. I remember him telling me about a large boa that was shipped in a large shipping tube. The snake got loose in one of the cans that all the packages are put in to get shipped from depot to depot. The snake was eventually caught by a local animal control and destroyed because they deamed it a dangerous animal because it kept striking at everyone.
Then the same poster stated a few posts later:
From what I found out today from FedEx, it's a minimum of $5000.00 or up to 1 year in jail.

Darin Chappell
09-09-2003, 04:33 PM
I did call Airborne Express today to see if they accepted the shipping of snakes. They said they do not anymore. I then asked the lady about what would happen if someone did anyway. After a long pause, she said that there would be "fines" added on to the account to be paid before further shipments would be taken, and any damage done by the animal or caused by trying to capture the animal should it escape, would be relayed back to the sender.

Nothing about legalities, though. I didn't think so.

Clay Davenport
09-09-2003, 04:57 PM
After a long pause, she said that there would be "fines" added on to the account to be paid before further shipments would be taken, and any damage done by the animal or caused by trying to capture the animal should it escape, would be relayed back to the sender.
This is just my opinion and nothing more, but I'd be willing to bet the part about the fines is bull, she just made that up, or else the pause was her asking a supervisor and he made it up just to discourage you.
Although, if there was damages incurred from shipping a prohibited item, I could see them charging the shipper for them.

herpetological
09-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Lacey act only applies to ENDANGERED appendix I species. Burmese are not appendix I. Ceylonese and Indians are. You can ship with FedEx, UPS and Airborne if you obtain approval. Boxes must be clearly labeled and you must show them proof of how you will pack. USPS will take anything but, snakes. Depends on your local office. Too many times people skirt the issue and do not mark the box or put airholes in just so they can get the box out. These are the same characters that do not know how to pack! Comes back on all of us as a whole! Think people!!!!