PDA

View Full Version : city deer

Shadera
08-05-2011, 05:38 AM
Ugh, I hate deer that are used to running around in the city, and unfortunately the city does little to curtail the problem.

I had a really nice raised bed with about 100 strawberry plants in it, I'd just put it in this spring and was finally letting the plants set a few berries. They were huge and doing well. This morning I'm getting my coffee and look out the window like I usually do, and drop my spoon. :censored: deer mowed off the tops of my strawberry plants last night, leaving just the stems. Can't be hurting their tender little mouths with my rough garden plant stems. Every single leaf, gone.

I've tried several things, and the deer just aren't phased. Living so close to this area, they're used to the stuff. I've tried hanging bars of strong scented soap around, predator pee, stuff that moves/blinks, and trying to make the yard less attractive to them by blocking entries and exits so they don't feel comfortable. Nothing is discouraging them, and I'm tired of working so hard to raise things for us only to have the deer take absolutely everything in one fell swoop.

Anyone else have issues with living in an urban area and dealing with deer that are wiser than your average whitetail? I thought about making frames with chicken wire to cover important plants, but will they just mow through it? Fencing is unfortunately not an option - I'd rather deal with the deer than my neighbors.

garweft
08-05-2011, 10:24 AM
A deer that stands and looks at me while I stand 10 yards away drawing a bow isn't what I would call smarter..... :rofl::AR15firin:deer:

You can try covering them with chicken wire but if there is nothing around they want they will stomp and tear up the fencing to get to the food. Aside from putting in a sturdy fence around the whole garden area there isn't much that is guaranteed to work.

Shadera
08-05-2011, 11:05 AM
So you're saying you wanna come hang out? :D