PDA

View Full Version : Pip, The Dwarf Colombian

Mike Greathouse
10-12-2003, 09:42 AM
http://reptiliandreams.com/misc/pip.jpg
http://reptiliandreams.com/misc/pipb.jpg

This little fellow was born June 5th 2003 as part of a normal litter of boas.<br>At birth, he was only 7" long, while all of his siblings were in the 15" range.<br>Now at 4 months of age, he measures in at just under 10 inches.<br>He has never missed a meal (of course he can't manage anything larger<br>then a pinky mouse) and has increased in girth, but very little in length.

I have produced and raised runts before, but this animal is quite different.<br>It is my belief that he is a dwarf.<br>Has anyone else here ever produced a boa like this?

Pip is a male. I would be very interested in finding someone who has a similar female to explore the genetic possibilities in a few years.

Thanks,

ksshane
10-21-2003, 12:39 PM
Cute little guy... I would like to see him in a few years... See how big he gets.

Watch.. he will turn into a monster, and end up being a 10-13 footer...lol

Jared@SS
10-28-2003, 01:56 PM
That's a weird looking corn snake baby! Just kidding. He sure is tiny. I wonder how big her will get. Are you going to try to keep him small by resricting his diet?

Mike Greathouse
10-28-2003, 02:06 PM
No, I'll let him grow as much as he is able. He has been on a steady diet since birth. The only difference is the size of the prey. He just switched from pinkys to fuzzies.

I'll let him become whatever it is that he is meant to be. If it's in his destiny to grow large - so be it. Personally, I don't see that happening. His girth has steadily increased, but his length has not changed all that much. I really believe that he is a true dwarf.

I'm thinking about taking him to the Tampa show to show him off a bit and get opinions from other breeders. Any of you that come to Tampa, be sure to stop by and say hello. I'll be sharing a table with John Schmitt of Suncoast Herpetological.

Thanks,

Dragondad
12-23-2003, 07:04 PM
what ever happened to him??

Mike Greathouse
12-23-2003, 07:24 PM
Pip is now 6 1/2 months old and is doing very well. He now measures in at 13 1/2" long and a whopping 40 grams. He has continued to eat steadily and his girth has continued to increase. Proportionally, he looks like a normal boa, he is just considerably smaller.

I'll get some updated pictures of him taken over the holiday and post them here.

Thanks for asking.

Mike Greathouse
12-28-2003, 07:52 AM
As you can see, he is still quite small.

http://reptiliandreams.com/misc/pip1.jpg
http://reptiliandreams.com/misc/pip2.jpg

Thank you,

Reptscue
12-28-2003, 02:04 PM
Mike,
Sorry, I don't see any of the pictures.

Mike Greathouse
02-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Pip is now 9 months old. He has continued to feed well, but except for some additional girth, he is not really increasing in size. Here is a picture with one of his siblings for comparison. The female sibling is what I would consider to be of normal size for a 9 month old boa.

http://reptiliandreams.com/hold/erispip2.jpg

galaxip
01-06-2005, 10:46 PM
How's Pip doing?
You have GOT to breed this animal, even if it is to a sib just to keep any possible gene aliv3.

Mike Greathouse
01-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Pip is doing great. He has continued to bulk up - he's just not getting much longer. I have held back his sister for a potential breeding. Of course the physical act may be difficult because of their size difference.

I may have to try my hand at artificial insemination - won't that be fun!

I'm currently working on a page for Pip on my website. Once it's completed and posted, I'll make a post on it here.

Thanks for inquiring.

Jake The Snake
01-25-2005, 04:28 PM
are you willing to sell Pip? I have been looking for a lttle red tail that wont eat rabits. LoL J/K Nice babie though. Can you send some pics of her eating? I live that boa. You should sell him on reptibid.com

Mike Greathouse
01-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Jake,
Sorry, but Pip is a keeper. If and when I prove him out and develop a line of Boas that only grow to 3 1/2', I'll make sure I drop you a line. Wouldn't that be an awesome thing: all the great personality of a boa in a handy carry along size. Hey - I can dream!

I don't have any pictures of him eating and he's not due to feed for a couple days yet, but I'll see what i can do for you at that time.

Thanks for your comments.

harrellharrell
05-25-2005, 09:47 PM
I want to be on the list, happily the top of the list, for any pint sized babies that might come out of a pairing with this guy. That is just outrageous! Its like my dreams come true. A drawf Colombian Boa. I would love to see any pics you get of him. Let me know when you get that page on him done.
Anthony

Mike Greathouse
05-26-2005, 05:17 AM
I'm currently working on a complete make-over of my web site (including Pip's page). I'll try and post some updated pictures of him this weekend.

Thanks,

Mike Greathouse
05-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Here's a couple pictures of Pip taken today.

His current measurements are:

Length: 32"
Weight: 410 grams

His birthday is 6/5/03.
He'll be 2 years old in ten days.

http://reptiliandreams.com/misc/pip052605a.jpg

http://reptiliandreams.com/misc/pip052605b.jpg

Thanks,

harrellharrell
05-26-2005, 08:25 PM
What ever happend with the female that Lucille sent you? Plans to breed? Or is it still too soon to tell?

Jake The Snake
05-26-2005, 08:33 PM
That is so awesome. a mearly 3' 2 year old boa. Nice colors though, I can't wait to see if you prove him out

jglass38
05-26-2005, 10:42 PM
Mike, that is amazing! So cool...

J

Mike Greathouse
05-27-2005, 05:39 AM
http://reptiliandreams.com/misc/lucille.jpg
Anthony,
Here is a picture taken last evening of Lucille (the reptilian one).

She is still in quarantine, but my plans are to pair Pip up with both his sister and with her.
I don't have precise measurements on her yet, but she is very close to Pip in length.
Pip is probably about double Lucille's weight however.

It's a very exciting project.

Ginger Ambrose
05-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Amazing. It is incredible the things that nature can provide.
Pip, is just a darling looking little guy.
Hope he and Lucille are happy and fruitful.

Ginger Ambrose

harrellharrell
05-27-2005, 11:31 AM
This is SO EXCITING!!! I cannot wait for this project to prove out! I haven't been this excited about a boa project that wasn't my own since, well I don't think, ever!
Definitely keep us updated on it, Mike. A+ Potential. We've definitely needed a new boa morph of this caliber for a while. :bow01: :beer:
Anthony

Jake The Snake
05-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Can you get some good pics of him eating? I really wonder at about what size he will reach sexual maturity at. Maybe he will never but lets sure hope not. This would be the hottest thing on the market since.....I don't know, cheetos? Would it be considered a new species or a morph?

ghostofcesarchavez
05-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Fascinating... Wouldn't that be something--dwarf Columbians!

Mike Greathouse
05-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Pictures of him eating will be a simple thing - he's a little pig when it comes to dinner time. As he is approaching two years of age, his growth has begun to slow even more. He continues to increase in girth, but length-wise, he appears to be slowing down. I don't expect him to get much over 3' to 3 1/2' in length.

As far as sexual maturity, males are often ready and willing to breed at two. If I feel he is ready, I'll try him this fall at 2 1/2 years of age.

Dwarf boas would be considered a morph.
Many people are unable or unwilling to work with boas because of their ultimate size. Imagine being able to enjoy the wonderful disposition and natural grace of the boas in a compact size.

Legislation is often geared towards exotics that exceed the six foot mark.
A genetic line of 3 1/2' Colombians could open the doors for many people to be able to enjoy these amazing animals.

It's a dream I have.

ghostofcesarchavez
05-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Might I add, I LOVE the photo of him with his sister!

harrellharrell
05-27-2005, 04:06 PM
Mike, you just said pretty much what I was going to. My wife won't even handle the boas after 5 foot or so, but this could be the beginning of something new.
I hadn't thought of the legislation angle though. The world will be better for them.
Thanks, Mike.

robertmcphee
06-05-2005, 12:38 AM
That female is a Nicararaguan/Central American boa, isn't it?? How would that prove out any morph? Not trying to be a pain in the ass, but come on how can proving a small colombian to a "dwarf" Nic prove anything out. The offspring will just be crossbreeds.

Bob

Dennis Hultman
06-05-2005, 01:15 AM
That female is a Nicararaguan/Central American boa, isn't it?? How would that prove out any morph? Not trying to be a pain in the ass, but come on how can proving a small colombian to a "dwarf" Nic prove anything out. The offspring will just be crossbreeds.

Bob

If you read what Mike posted, it is not the only pairing he is doing.

I would prefer as much as anyone to have local specific but in this case I do believe I would like to see the results just on the dwarf possibilities.

robertmcphee
06-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Fair enough.

Bob

Mike Greathouse
06-05-2005, 04:41 AM
Bob,
Dennis is correct. The primary pairing to prove out Pip will be with his sister. The pairing with the Central American is secondary. That female's ssp was unknown to me until she arrived here.

BTW, Happy birthday Pip - He is two years old today.

Mike Greathouse
06-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Here are a few shots of Pip enjoying his favorite pastime.
His primary diet consists of small rats with an occasional mouse thrown in.

http://reptiliandreams.com/hold/Pip11.jpg

http://reptiliandreams.com/hold/Pip14.jpg

http://reptiliandreams.com/hold/Pip15.jpg

http://reptiliandreams.com/hold/Pip16.jpg

http://reptiliandreams.com/hold/Pip17.jpg

http://reptiliandreams.com/hold/Pip18.jpg

http://reptiliandreams.com/hold/Pip19.jpg

Jake The Snake
06-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Nice pictures!!! I'm hoping that was a f/t rat!! lol

LakesideBoas
06-14-2005, 10:01 PM
That last pic looks like, "I want another one!"

Dennis Hultman
06-15-2005, 01:38 AM
Great pictures! Keep us updated.

oregonboas
06-21-2005, 02:42 AM
This has been a great read! I too would love to be notified of any offspring to be sired by this little "Half Pint" There are some counties in my state that have some real B/S rules about Boas, thank god I am not in one of them. A dwarf line would be killer. Thanks for your continuous updates.

CARLiTO_
07-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Awesome snake

but...

Why do u want to breed Pip to a central american bci?

Wouldn't u be crossing locales? or is that not important?

Mike Greathouse
07-24-2005, 10:46 AM
The primary breeding for Pip will be with his sister.
However, she is a normal sized boa and the results may not prove out the dwarfism.

The secondary breeding will be with the dwarf Central American.
The primary purpose of that breeding will be to prove out the dwarf genetics.

The basis of the project will remain with the South American bloodlines.
Ideally, I'll get something from the breeding with his sister to work with.

This will be a long-term project, to say the least.

Thanks for your interest.

CARLiTO_
07-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Hey, that's good to know.

Someone in Canada also had a "dwarf" boa.

U should contact him and share info.

Here a link. (http://www.reptilescanada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3134&highlight=dwarf)

Mike Greathouse
07-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks Carlito - I'll check it out.

Dave68
07-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Very Cool, what a cute lil guy, I would love to see another up to date size comparison shot with the sibling in the photo, until I saw the first one with Pip and his siter I could not really even begin to picture just how small he was. Thanks for all the updates.

Lee Herps
07-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Can you post an updated photo of him with his sis? This is very interesting to me.

Mike Greathouse
07-27-2005, 10:28 AM
No problem - I'll try and get one posted this weekend.

bbbxcursion
08-14-2005, 04:06 PM
How much does pip weigh?

Dennis Hultman
08-14-2005, 05:05 PM
How much does pip weigh?
“Length: 32"
Weight: 410 grams”

Mike Greathouse
08-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Although he hasn't picked up any length since the June measurements, Pip has continued to bulk up. He is now tipping the scales at 675 grams.

http://reptiliandreams.com/hold/pip081405.jpg

Thanks,

mikeydadog
08-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Awesome looking little bugger i say!!! good luck with your project i'll be sure to be watching it develop.( purely a self serving interest) lol I WANT ONE !!

beastie
08-20-2005, 04:32 PM
have you forgotten the other step in proving a gene like this??

have you rebred pip's parents??

bc

Dennis1
08-21-2005, 12:21 AM
What a coincidence,
My brother in law just moved up here from fla last winter,He brought with him a pair of red tails,I let him keep them in my dining room untill he moved(was a real pain in the but)and the female was pregnant, They moved nextdoor but they left the snakes for a week or so untill they got settled
One sunday i think it was mothersday i was across town visiting my relatives
and my wife got a call from her brother telling us the female had her babies and they were all over my house....lol(we were still catching babies a month later)
Anyway we caught a really small one a few weeks later and i thought it was going to die because it was half the size as the other 30+ babies we found
But we went ahead and fed it and to this day it out eats any of its other siblings but does not grow very much at all!
I dont know if its a male or female i will ask tomorrow if i can catch up with him, I will snap a couple pics asap and post them also
You know its funny because the only thing i dont like about his snakes are they are so darn big! I dont like snakes bigger than me...lol
It would be nice to have a dwarf red tail

Dennis1
08-21-2005, 05:07 PM
The first pic is of him and the smallest sibling he has
I estimate Tiny is 15 inches max and his sib. is 22 inches
The second pic is just tiny by himself

Dennis1
08-21-2005, 05:12 PM
And one more of the both of them
He thinks its a male

bbbxcursion
08-23-2005, 03:00 AM
I am having the same thing with one of my Boas, the damn snake just won't grow! I feed two times a week, but not much difference in size. I have another Boa that's the same age, same feeding plan, same sized cage, and I have raised since a baby-and it's twice as big. I bought them both within 2 weeks of eachother also. I'll have to weigh the tiny one though........

bbbxcursion
10-26-2005, 12:13 AM
So how is Pip?

Mike Greathouse
10-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Pip is doing very well. I'm just starting my wintertime light cycling in preparation for breeding season. He just shed today and he looks great. My fingers are crossed for a successful breeding with him.

Thanks for asking.

bbbxcursion
10-27-2005, 02:55 AM
Good luck with Pip and thanks for the update! :)

Southwick Herps
10-28-2005, 03:30 PM
any pics with him and his sibling on the way? Id love to see size comparisons at this point.

Mike Greathouse
10-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Pip just shed and is doing wonderfully. I'll try and post some pics with his sister in the next day or two.

Thanks for asking.

bbbxcursion
03-30-2006, 09:34 PM
so how's Pip doing? Have not heard anything for some time now

Mike Greathouse
03-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Pip is doing great.
He has been actively breeding for the past two months.
I'll get some updated pictures up soon.

Thanks,

Laura Fopiano
03-31-2006, 12:39 AM
Pip is a very intersting animal to say the least.....I would love to see more pictures of him!

ffollett
03-31-2006, 07:28 PM
I have been to your site to check him out a number of times and can't wait to see what happens with his offspring. We produced 3 babies last year that really remind me of him. One female and 2 males. While most of the others from the litter are on small rats, or are just getting ready to switch, they are still eating pinkies. Of those only one looks like they will be moving up to pups anytime soon.

Junkyard
03-31-2006, 09:32 PM
Awesome Mike!

Vinny D
04-01-2006, 11:02 PM
i have heard of these dwarf colombain BCI's before. i think on kingsnake i saw 1 for sale. but i think they are awsome looking, and they really dont look like most colombain BCI's do. awsome snake.

jglass38
04-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Pip is doing great.
He has been actively breeding for the past two months.
I'll get some updated pictures up soon.

Thanks,

Mike that rocks! I have been keeping up with the story and can't wait to see some babies!

boalove
12-22-2010, 12:20 PM
I am very interested to see an update on Pip, it's been nearly 4 1/2yrs since the last post. I would love to hear how he's doing.

Thanks..

scitest
12-29-2010, 06:49 PM
same here..

crotalusadamanteus
12-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Might be sorta hard since Mike's banned permanently. You could try the Digital Herper though. That's his forum.