PDA

View Full Version : Hova-bator incubator

cavu
05-09-2002, 09:27 PM
OK, I now have two swell new Hova-bator incubators.  Where do I put the damp beding material?  In the plastic tray?  When I have eggs, do I place them on the screen or do I despense with the screen?  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, MIke Blackston

Casey Hulse
05-09-2002, 10:08 PM
We place our eggs in sandwich size deli containers w/2, 1/8" holes in the lid and 2 in the sides. Use damp vermiculite as a medium(use equal parts BY WEIGHT vermiculite and water). Check moisture occassionally but it is most likely going to stay about right for the entire incubation period. Place on the screen. Good luck Casey

HerpVenue
05-14-2002, 10:03 PM
As for me...
I bought one of those walmart rubbermaid bins...A BIG ONE.
I cut a quare on the top.  A square just big enough to let you see through the glass.  I also drilled four holes....to let you attach the top of the incubator to the underside of the cover.
I then taped insulation all around the tub.  The kind of insulation that comes with your frozen herps.  I put perlite at the bottom...vermiculit on top of that.....it is working excelent for me..................so far

p.s.  you probably won't need the screen

HerpVenue
05-14-2002, 10:53 PM
Mike.....I just made this page just to show you how I did mine.
Took five minutes. spam_That includes the reboot because my computer had the fatal blue screen of death.

Anyway here is the link to the incubator Incubator Link <click here> (http://ritchiereptiles.homestead.com/Incubator.html)

or

http://ritchiereptiles.homestead.com/Incubator.html

Dembinski Reptiles
05-15-2002, 05:45 AM
Hey Ritchie,

Pretty clever. I may give your system a try, but I have a few questions. 1) What's the measurements on the tub that you used. 2) air circulation ? 3) What eggs or temps are you currently incubating at 4) condinsation ? 5) wouldnt putting a towel over the top run a risk of fire ?

Thanks,

Joe Dembinski

Dembinski Reptile's

Pennebaker
05-15-2002, 10:08 AM
Ah yes, Ritchie you rock!
I've been brainstorming something similar for a few weeks now...now I dont have to think anymore.
So the hovabator lid is strong enough to heat that whole area?
You just made my life a little easier.  Since I am on my 9th hovabator of the season with a bunch of gravid girls staring at me.

Thanks
Dana

cavu
05-15-2002, 12:37 PM
Thanks Ritchie.

I looked at your system and it looks like it will work just fine.  Right now I only have 10 CalKing eggs in the hova-bator at about 88 degrees.  I put the damp (1 to 1) vermiculite on the plastic tray and placed the eggs on that.  As I enlarge my breeding program I will try your system.  How deep did you make the medium in the tub?

Thanks, MIke

HerpVenue
05-15-2002, 01:04 PM
1. spam_measurements -- I forgot to measure...I basically got the one that would fit the top of the hova bator incubator.-- spam_In the future if I really need a super huge one...I suppose I can get a bin that is big enough to hold two (2) hova bator incubator tops. spam_One would be on...the other as a back up. spam_Or maybe both on...who knows. spam_I do not plan...I just improvise.

2. air circulation -- The top of the incubator came with holes. -- the holes are exposed -- air still gets in there even though I have it covered with insulation (loosely covered)

3.eggs & Temps -- spam_Burmese Python eggs 88-89 f

4. Condensation -- there definately is condensation. spam_On the sides of the tub and on the cover.
spam_4a how do I prevent the condensation from dripping on the
eggs? spam_ Well the ones on the sides is not a problem. spam_The ones on top drip onto a hard plastic thing that I have angled over the eggs. spam_Kinda like an umbrella / roof of a house thing.

5. spam_Risk of fire -- again not to sure on the answer. spam_The top has a lot of surface area where you can loose lots of heat. spam_Before I covered it up...I noticed my incubator was basically running all the time. spam_After I covered it up...it was able to regulate the temps a little better. spam_--Although some people say having the incubator running all the time is a better way to regulate the temp. spam_I do not know about that one.

You do not have to cover the whole top...I suppose covering just parts of it would work. spam_It is just a lot of surface area without any insulation.

6. spam_I put 1:1 perlite:water mixture as a base. actually it is more like 1:1.125 a little more wet than 1:1 ( Also I figured the more medium I have the more stable the environment) spam_On top of that I put 1:1 vermiculite. spam_(because it seems the vermiculite is the medium of choice) spam_I am hoping on bringing out the positives of both mediums.

p.s. spam_I am not an expert..I don't even play one on tv. spam_But so far it is working.