PDA

View Full Version : 10-foot python swallows woman up to waist

jenn_jeffery
11-21-2003, 04:03 PM
10-foot python swallows woman up to waist

The Associated Press

Click here to find out more!
RANGAMATI, Bangladesh -- Villagers searching for a missing woman found her body swallowed headfirst up to the waist by a 10-foot-long python, police said Friday.

Basanti Tripura, 38, was collecting wood in a forest when the python attacked her Tuesday in Rangamati district, police said.

The snake crushed the woman in its coils and had swallowed half her body before villagers discovered her. They retrieved the body after killing the snake with iron rods and sticks, the police official said.

Rangamati is a region of forests and rugged hills 135 miles southeast of the nation's capital Dhaka.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/1103/21python.html

Darin Chappell
11-21-2003, 04:23 PM
I read that too, but it's obviously a false report.

First, pythons don't crush anything in their coils!

Second, a ten foot python in India (retic? burmese?) would really still be a juvenile. Not very likely to attack a grown woman unprovoked.

Third, there is no way it could get half of her in its mouth! I can't believe it would even try, but neither the hips not the shoulders would fit. Further, a young snake like that would have trouble getting anything but the smallest parts of a human into its gullet.

In a word: BOGUS!!!!

But, thanks for posting it here! :D

:toiletcla

JungleHabitats
11-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Either two things come to mind ... the husband didnt want to have a wife lol or the snake was MUCH bigger then 10 ft.When i use to keep large burmese 10-18 ft long and a 16 ft retic. they fed on goats & the biggest rabbits i could find.I would think a 10 ft burmese "might could get the head of a small woman" in there mouth the shoulders would be a totally different story IMO. I have seen photos of a african rock in the wild in africa eating a gazelle ( i think it was or some sort of pronged deer ) and that rock was well over 12-14 ft and the animal was only a small baby not more the 6 months old i would say. unless there were pictures available i would dismiss this as a "Myth" and even with pictures i would still be wary of the validity of the truth. As we all have seen doctored pictures of humans being eatin by "Man Eating Snakes"

jenn_jeffery
11-21-2003, 05:23 PM
I was honestly wondering--didn't REALLY think it could be true, just from the size of the snake mentioned. I have NO idea where pythons reside however....

My first thought when I read the article was "at least it wasn't a captive snake" which would have been even worse news for the herping community.

M n R-Reptile
11-22-2003, 03:41 PM
Could be true remember OUR women here in the U.S. are three four times as big as most Women from over there.
So it is possible.