PDA

View Full Version : How many documented cases are out there of big snakes swallowing people.?

herpcondo
11-22-2003, 05:16 PM
I saw the thread on the 10ft snake "swallowing" a woman up to her waist and i am wondering if there are any actual documented cases available..?
The best i have seen was based on a big blown up picture that was on the office wall of Tom Crutchfield when i use to visit and buy from his facility... It was a pic from WWII of a large snake with a 10-13? year old child swallowed completely. you could clearly see the head, shoulders etc,,, a pretty cool pic. don't know how authentic it really was,,, but made for a good conversation anyway,,,

Glenn Bartley
11-30-2003, 09:41 PM
Here is one for your enjoyment. Almost sounds as if the kids actually witnessed the real thing, but who knows. I wonder if there is any follow up to this?African Rock Python Swallows Boy?????? (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/11/24/103769798
5131.html)

Glenn Bartley
11-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Here is a link to documentation of two different predatory attacks on humans by Green Anacondas. The attacks were unsuccesful, but it sure has to get you wondering how many may have been succesful over the years. If I remember correctly the author is a bonafide herpetologist.Green Anaconda Predatory (?) Attacks on Humans (http://pages.prodigy.net/anaconda/strike.htm)

Glenn Bartley
11-30-2003, 10:02 PM
Make sure to page all the way down on the link about the Green Anaconda attacks as it has still footage of the one that followed the assistant before attempting to attack.

herpcondo
11-30-2003, 11:25 PM
Hey Glenn,,,
Thanks for the couple of links,,, the one about the anacondas is pretty intresting,,, and compelling... so i pose the question,,,
if a large (13ft or above in size,, ) snake does get "hungry" enough do they possibly see us as prey..?
now before i start a uproar about large snakes feeding on "scents" and prey recognition.. etc,, and how there are tons of very docile large snakes in captivity,,, etc,,, i just wonder if "hunger" will ever overcome the prey recognition,, and scent stimuli to force a large snake to "feed one something out of its regular scope of "prey items"?
It does happen with alligators,,, ( ie all the documented cases of dog attacks in the past in fla) and with other reptiles,,, (ie lizard feeders such as grey bands taking mice etc..) just something to ponder...?!

I wish i had the picture that was hanging on the wall in Tom Critchfields office,, it was quite compelling and a really good picture with a lot of detail....