PDA

View Full Version : RBI Radiant Heat Panels

GHC Exotics
01-19-2012, 09:00 PM
I have never really used heat panels, always went a basic method such as bulbs or flexwatt... the closest thing that I have ever really used came original in our 4ft. boaphile cages... and needless to say, I was not impressed, and they do not work for much besides colubrids.
That being said, I have been reading up on RBI Radiant Heat Panels, and they seem to be a decent product, with promising heat results. My questions are...
For those who have used them, are they safe to use in a plastic caging? We use alot of "boaphile" style cages, most of them are in the design of being in one unit, w/ 3 sections. Or would they melt or cause issues to the plastic cage itself?
Do they heat as well as a traditional style? Meaning do they create a warm enough cage for most animals requiring a 85-95 degree cage?
Any info or thoughts are appreciated!

BrianC
01-19-2012, 10:38 PM
I was to use radiant heat panels, I would use Pro-Products panels from Bob Pound.
They're UL listed unlike the RBI panels.

GHC Exotics
01-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Ive read a little bit on them also, though they do not advertise their different sizes or prices online... which is a little annoying as far as shopping around goes, other than actually having to call in and speak to them directly, but as far as quick look references go its not awesome. Though Ive heard that they dont put out a much ambient heat as the RBI panels?? Just trying to figure out some price ideas and such, this would be a big spending project in the sense that I would be eventually needing apprx - 15 to 25 of them for our exhibit... and either way its not going to be cheap at all, but neither is having to adjust bulb sizes constantly throughout the year to accomidate with the season, In our shop if its extremely hot outside, it gets hot quick in the exhibit area, and you can also tell when its cold outside... more on the hot than cold though.

matt b
01-20-2012, 11:38 AM
i have a heat panels in my AP cages, seem to work out pretty good. just make sure you use a thermostat, they can get pretty hot

GHC Exotics
01-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Matthew, What kind of heat panel do you have?

matt b
01-20-2012, 01:05 PM
I'd have to double check, I have 3 animal plastic cages that already had the heat panels installed
When I bought them. The only problem I have had with them is that they have an on/off switch and it messed up on all of them, so I just rewired it and bypassed the switch. But other than that they do pretty good

~Just Curious~
01-21-2012, 03:16 AM
I bought one from Reptile Basics once, just trying it out before taking the plunge and buying them for all my cages, but my problem was the opposite of it getting too hot - rather it warmed up well close to the panel, but then the heat wouldn't reach farther down. While it might have been 120 right near the panel, I could barely get it over 80 degrees on the substrate after running it full power. No good there...

It was the 80 watt they recommended to me for my 4'x2'x2' critter condos.

This was winter and that room in the house could get around 75 degrees at times, so I chalked it up to the overall room temp getting too low and the 2' height of the cage.
Also just adding - it came to me with a minor cosmetic issue, the red light on the front that tells you when it's running never worked. I called them up and they offered to have me ship it back for a replacement, but I didn't want to spend more money on it at that point. Still the 10 year warranty was very nice anyways.

So my experience with them was poor, but I think they might work well in a room that doesn't get very cold or for for a 1' tall enclosure anyways. I guess if the cage has to be taller then it might work for an animal with elevated basking spot/perch.
I really did like how "safe" it was compared to other methods, so it was a shame that it didn't work out.

BTW While I didn't use it in a boaphile plastics cage, I don't believe it would ever get hot enough to melt them or cause problems. Boaphile plastics use their own heat panels and RBI's heat panel FAQ is fairly proud about how they don't reach overly high temps. It also mentions being safe in PVC caging http://www.reptilebasics.com/radiant-panel-faq
Hope that helps~

GHC Exotics
01-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Interesting, I know the panesl that come in the boaphile cages absolutely suck, they barely warmed up directly on the panel itself. Its very difficult to see which way to go because there is so many up and down stories.... not sure which way to go really

matt b
01-21-2012, 11:37 PM
cant really go wrong with heat tape

GHC Exotics
01-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Heat tape doesnt really work in this situation really, its been attached before and just doesnt work. For one, if you do it under or behind the actual enclosure, it doesnt make it through to the animal and doesnt get very warm, inside the cage on the other hand gets a specific area warm but not any other area, plus it wouldnt go to well with any of the monitors claws on it. Really just looking at things that warm up a much larger ambient area, rather than just a spot. But yeah, we tried the heat tape thing, and it just didnt work very well in this situation, unlike how well it works in rack systems.

matt b
01-22-2012, 08:59 PM
look into the large heat mats, not really sure exactly what the dimensions are on your cages but the large heat mats or maybe even the style of heat mats they use for hogs.
but i have the 6 inch heat tape on the bottoms of the out side of my vision cages and a heat lamp in the lamp hole, with the two combined it works out pretty well

Snake-Queen
01-28-2012, 01:08 PM
I have 3 radiant heat panels from Reptile Basics.

All three are on thermostats. 2 are for RTBs and one is used for my ATBs. I have never had an issue with them not heating enough.

Tim Cole
01-30-2012, 11:29 AM
I have 9 RBI heat panels being used in visions, neos, and animal plastic cages and they all produce plenty of heat. Even in a room at 55'. I have all of them on thermostats.

My King Cobras are in 6ft slant front neos in a room that is brumating for colubrids at 55'. Their cage floor temp under the panel is 78'.

Focal
01-30-2012, 12:13 PM
I am currently keeping my room around 75 degrees and my 40w and 80w panels do not even use 40% power to achieve a 88-90 degree hot spot. I use 4'x36"x18" boamasters. Last year, the ambient room temp was around 70 degrees and I don't think it had to use more than 50% power unless it was reheating after being opened. I use herpstat thermostats that tell me the % when used on pro.

allreptiles1966
04-26-2014, 09:31 AM
I am currently keeping my room around 75 degrees and my 40w and 80w panels do not even use 40% power to achieve a 88-90 degree hot spot. I use 4'x36"x18" boamasters. Last year, the ambient room temp was around 70 degrees and I don't think it had to use more than 50% power unless it was reheating after being opened. I use herpstat thermostats that tell me the % when used on pro.

I think,in the long run it's best to heat the room. I keep my boa room at 85. Use no panels,just heat tape. Never an upper ri or a wheeze. If the room is well insulated it holds heat well. My biggest room in my basement used one oil radiator and kept it at 83 during the winter. Cost about $80 ish per month.

hadenglock
04-27-2014, 10:52 AM
I was to use radiant heat panels, I would use Pro-Products panels from Bob Pound.
They're UL listed unlike the RBI panels.

:iagree: