PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Beardies?

katfly
12-04-2003, 04:07 PM
Help!! I am selling my beardies and have no idea what to do. They have to be shipped some distance. Who do I ship them through? How long should it take to ship them (i.e. whats the longest they should be in a box?)? How come every shipping company I call tells me that they don't except reptiles? What do I do? I don't want to spend more then they are worth. Any help would ease my mind.....I'm freaking out!!!!!!! Arghhhh....

Mickey_TLK
12-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Katie

I didnt realize from your email that you only wanted to ship some dragons one time it appears.

I would just go down to airborne express with them packed, and pay the walk up fee. Keep the box small, mark it well, and be prepared to argue with the counter and ask for a manager if need be. Make sure to styro line your box, and ship with a heat pack as its cold pretty much everywhere this time of year. Again keep the box as small as safely possible.

Airborne DOES ship live lizards, but I think they may have a size limit on them. However i assume a biearded would be ok (been a while since I used them).

Another option is to see if anyone else who is local to you has an account to ship herps that may be willing to help you out.

Mickey Hinkle
The Lizard King Reptiles

katfly
12-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Thanks, however I called the 800# for airborne and the guy on the phone looked it up (he had me on hold for a while) and asked what kind of lizard. I told him a bearded dragon then waited a little more. He came back on and said that they don't ship lizards and that was it. So if I do go to the counter and talk to a manager to ship him will I really get turned away? I don't want to ship through USPS and Airborne is the most reasonable price wise.
What time should I ship him at too? Early in the morning or late in the day? This is so confusing....thanks for the help though.

Mickey_TLK
12-04-2003, 05:05 PM
Well

I wasnt aware they no longer ship lizards, but if thats what they are saying so be it.

Now your options get a bit more fuzzy, and I dont really like to tell people to bend the rules, so I wont...lol.

You dont have anyone else in your area that can help? Someone with an account to ship with UPS or something, would be your best bet.

As far as what time to ship, I generally take my shipments towards the end of the day, so they are in the box for the least amount of time possible.

Sorry to hear about you troubles shipping, sadly thats the way it is theese days.

Mickey Hinkle
The Lizard King Reptiles

herpcondo
12-04-2003, 05:13 PM
Hey Katie,,
I ship thousands of dragons a year,, and i use UPs and Airborne express,,,,
I agree with Mickey,, Make the package small as possible,,, and it has to be foam lined,,, and heat packs are a must,,( i see you are Way up north) I would then go down to the local UPS customer counter and have the package sent that way,,, ( UPS does not usually ask what is in the box) and they do ship Lizards as i have a reptile shippers account with them,,, If you use airborne,, they are probably gonna ask "what is in the box?" and i label all my boxes through them as "parts" and i have never had a problem,,,
I mean what do they expect i am shipping with pre printed labels that say"Sunset Dragon Ranch" on them..? My best advice would eb to use UPS for a one time,,as there tracking system seems to work better ,,, and they are easy to ship through,,, and don't want to know what is in the box,,,,, when you ship make sure they do check the box for overnight delivery and for Airborne they check the "noon" box,,, as if it is not checked it will be by 5:00 pm.... hope this helps,,, and if there is anything i can do to help ,, drop me a line,,,

Neil Gubitz
12-04-2003, 06:52 PM
I think you guys missed the whole point of her problem.... this is her first time shipping anything (I think).... here it is step by step....

Get a box that's about 12x12x12.... line it with 1/2"-3/4" styrofoam on all sides including top and bottom.... put the dragons in separate deli cups or small brown paper bags and TAPE THEM shut.... do NOT staple them shut.... make sure there is a napkin in each deli cup or paper bag for the dragon to hang on to (and deficate on).... shred up a bunch of newspaper and put a layer on the bottom of the box.... get yourself a 40-hour heatpack and place that on top of the thin layer of shredded newspaper (making sure the heatpack is working, by shaking it).... put another thin layer of shredded newspaper on top of the heatpack.... put in the deli cups (or paper bags) on top of that, and put more shredded newspaper on top of that.... then place the top of the styrofoam on top of it all.... seal up the box including every side that air can get in.... do NOT put any airholes in the box.... there should be plenty of air for the trip....
Go to your local Airborne dropoff place and DON'T TELL THEM THERE ARE LIZARDS IN THE BOX!!!!.... When they ask, tell them "parts" or "gumdrops", or anything but animals.... ALWAYS ship the box Next Day Air for delivery by Noon at the latest.... always deliver the box AS LATE IN THE DAY AS YOU CAN, so the animal spends as little time in the box as necessary....
Use this method, as you should have NO problems.... good luck!!

Neil

katfly
12-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Hey thanks again. But won't a 12x12x12 box be too small for a 20 inch long lizard? What size will work? I don't want to get anyhting too big. Thanks in advance.

Neil Gubitz
12-04-2003, 07:14 PM
Ooops.... I didn't realize you were talking about an adult....

15" long by 11" wide by 7.5" deep should do the trick.... those are the "medium" boxes sold by "Superior Products" out of CA.... I use them all the time to ship larger stuff....

Neil

katfly
12-04-2003, 07:19 PM
THANK YOU ALL, OH SO MUCH!!!!