PDA

View Full Version : Need input on selection!!!!

Linda
12-09-2003, 01:46 AM
Hi, wanna add another snake to the household pets, but having a hard time deciding which one. I have 1 ball python, and 1 spotted python now, but looking to add hopefully a boa this time. Any ideas on which one? I'm looking for something that stays under 6 foot, and that is easily handled (I know this is individual temperment), but a species that is know for there good temp. I have a 5-year old that likes to handle the snakes, and a husband that doesn't want anything bigger than 6 foot in the house, or I'd have a red-tail now, THANKS for the info, and look forward to hearing from you'll, Linda Burnett.

ms_terese
12-09-2003, 11:49 AM
There are actually a wide variety in your size range. Solomon Island boas, Dumerils (on the larger side of your limit, though), Central American / Nicaraguan, and Brazilian Rainbow.

I currently have Solomon Islands, Central Americans, and Brazilian Rainbows and have never had temperament issues, though I've been told I'm just lucky on the Central Americans. I understand they have a reputation of being snippy, but I've not seen that personally.

paulh
12-10-2003, 07:27 PM
I think the Dumerils boa and Central American/Nicaraguan boa are likely to go over your limit.

Both Brazilian and Colombian rainbow boas are in the right size range. Brazilians are bigger, prettier, and more expensive, but both are good tempered if raised from babies.

Rosy boas are also the right size and temperament and should be among your finalists.

There are also several species of sand boas from Africa and Asia that might fit you if you like burrowers.

Clay Davenport
12-11-2003, 12:19 AM
True Hog Island boas are a great choice as well. They are beautiful snakes with some very interesting characteristics.
Pictures of mine can be seen here: Hog Island Boa Page (http://www.arbreptiles.com/boids/hogs.html)

Brazilian Rainbows are also beautiful snakes, and they would be my second choice that would fit your criteria.

Linda
12-12-2003, 01:49 PM
Hi Clay, I checked out your site with the info on the hogg islands, just wanted to ask how big do the males get? I know they say 4-6 foot long, but how big around? Any pics of adult males? THANKS, Linda.

Clay Davenport
12-12-2003, 03:59 PM
They are basically in proportion to the common boas, smaller length and correspondingly smaller girth. If you've seen a normal, not over fed 5 foot common boa, that's about the size of an adult Hog. Females tend to get larger than males, so if you're just looking for a single animal as a pet you should probably get a male. However, considering the status of these snakes, I always encourage anyone looking to keep them to consider attempting to breed them at some point.
My male is two years old a little better and is 3.5' long. I would estimate about 2" in diameter.
I don't have any pictures of adults myself, but I'm sure a search in Google would turn up a few.

psilocybe
12-22-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by ms_terese
There are actually a wide variety in your size range. Solomon Island boas, Dumerils (on the larger side of your limit, though), Central American / Nicaraguan, and Brazilian Rainbow.

I currently have Solomon Islands, Central Americans, and Brazilian Rainbows and have never had temperament issues, though I've been told I'm just lucky on the Central Americans. I understand they have a reputation of being snippy, but I've not seen that personally.

I have seen some pretty aggressive Cent. Americans (also known as Mexican boa constrictors), for some reason those guys have some temperment issues. I spent a good 20 minutes dodging strikes from a 6 ft. specimen of a friends, the snake focused on me, even when i backed off, it still focused on me! That's alright though, i like to tangle with the beasties, they keep me in practice, haha. I personally love Brazillian Rainbows, they are a great snake and fit your size specificati9ons.

Larry
01-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Linda,

Why not consider a male BCI? I know that may get bigger then you are looking for, but not by much (IMHO, I have a hard time noticing a big difference between a 6' and a 8'), they are very docile, and relatively inexpensive.