PDA

View Full Version : respitory infection

wyblep
12-20-2003, 10:23 AM
Hello everyone I have a problem I just purchased a pastel male ball and when I got him he looked fine but I think he now has a cold he is wheezing and I noticed somesnot comeing out of he nostrils is this something that can go away I do not have many reptile vets in my area but one said they can see him on Monday I have raised his temps to 85 degrees ambient and 90 degrees hot spot I was told that this will help him do I need meds? I have him in a rack system in 28 qt rubbermaids please any help would be greatly apprieciated thanks again Paul

David Boggs
12-20-2003, 10:49 AM
Paul, it sound like you are doing the correct things so far. Make sure his water dish does not create condensation on the box you have him in. The increased temperatures tend to make more humidity. A wet invironment will led to fungual infection. Use a small water dish if you see condensation. I have found increasing the temps sufficient to clear up most respiratory infections (RI) by itself. You will need to "cook" your snake for about a week. Do not try to feed him during this time. If his throat is not puffing out and he is not sitting upright just to breathe you can be pretty sure you caught the RI in the early onset and your snake should recover without meds. Be sure to monitor him for dehydration. Dry heat sucks the moisture out of a snake quickly. If you notice his eyes looking wrinkled (like raisins) increase the humidity slightly. Try to keep him at 60% humidity and monitor him several times each day. If you still feel a vet trip is warranted then by all means take him to the vet. I have never had to take a boid to the vet for RI. The methods I have described always work for me. Hope this helps, David

wyblep
12-22-2003, 11:49 PM
Hi there thanks again for the advice I took him to the vet todat they said he did have a RI I caught it pretty early but they still gave me meds it was batril I have ti give him 1 injection every day for 14 days they told me this should work well the vet bill was 95.00 but I really did not want to take the chance with him he means way to much to me he is supposed to be breeding for me right now he weighs 765 grams do you think I might still be able to breed him this year or should I just wait until next year? thanks again Paul