PDA

View Full Version : Which cage company to go with?

MGReptiles
12-27-2003, 04:30 PM
Which one of these cage companies would you guys and gals go with? Customer service has alot to do with it.
-Matt Graybeal
BARRS
Animal Plastic
Percision Caging

Mickey_TLK
12-27-2003, 04:42 PM
Boaphiles all the way for me

Mickey Hinkle
THe Lizard King Reptiles

The BoidSmith
12-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Matt,

Is your selection just limited to those three because of personal preference? From what I heard Moonstruck Exotics is building excellent cages at very competitive prices. Not only that, but I contacted for pricing and they replied that same day! There is no doubt I'm going to give them a try in the near future.

Regards.

gila7150
12-27-2003, 05:03 PM
I'll agree with Mickey....Boaphile would be my first choice.
Moonstruck's cages look nice as well but I have no personal experience with them. Of course, Vision and Neodesha also make good cages depending on what you're using them for.

Of the three you listed, I've seen Animals Plastic's racks only and they are really nice.
I own 2 arboreal type Barrs cages which work great for what I'm using them for.

Again, if I could afford to switch all my caging over to Boaphile I'd do it in a second!

ChadOsborne
12-27-2003, 06:47 PM
I own over 100 Barrs cages! I have some that are over 15 years old. I don't know what you plan on keeping in them but barrs cages rock.

Chad Osborne

Pug
12-27-2003, 06:53 PM
Doesn't it really depend on whats going inside the cage though? I personally prefer Animal plastics, especially the 48"x24"x15" cage with a 30" x 12" wire vent on top for my dragon. AP also has a lot of new sizes so finding the perfect fit is pretty easy. I do wish I had gotten something other than a vision for my hognose, she always climbs up the front fascia of my vision cage, but is never able to climb down on her own. :(

redtailboas
12-27-2003, 09:31 PM
Boaphile plastics would be my choice. 421D's are a great size as well.

diamondback1
12-27-2003, 09:51 PM
My vote would go to Animal Plastics out of the three choices but to Boaphile overall.

MGReptiles
12-27-2003, 10:24 PM
Yeah it is limited to the one I have listed. There will be colonies of geckos, Redtails(thanks Clay) BP;s fat tails. Bophile is just to expensive..I figure there stuff is great but the price sucks...
-Matt Graybeal

gila7150
12-27-2003, 11:52 PM
Bophile is just to expensive..I figure there stuff is great but the price sucks...

I'm a bit confused. Here's a price comparison on 4' cages for your boas.

Barrs - Don't make them
Precision Cages - $150 + $36 shipping = $186.00
Animal Plastics - $255 (not including shipping)
Boaphile - $229 (shipping included

So the Boaphiles are $43 more than Precision and $26 less than Animal Plastics.
I'd recommend the Barrs cages for your geckos.

E2MacPets
12-27-2003, 11:58 PM
Animal Plastics has terrific customer service. I am affiliated with them but have been in the process of a major upheaval in my personal life so that aspect of my business has been put on the backburner. Mark is a terrific gentleman and I have no doubt he would do right by you.

JungleHabitats
12-28-2003, 12:07 AM
Jungle Habitats
420JSC 48”x24”x12” w/ lights & Heat $295.00 shipped
Comes with 2 lights , 11" flex watt heat , 2 locks , cage liners & expandable options on both ends for no additonal charge .and with a 1" aluminum angle frame you will never have to worry about doors that bind when stacked and shipping is included in the price .

MGReptiles
12-28-2003, 12:20 AM
Yeah that is what I was thinking for the geckos tooo but he only makes them in white...I ordered 2 of the 24 x 24 x 12 for 4 leos each, and there being shipped Monday. As far as the boas and BP's ill have them in a rack while there young and then into 3 or 4 footers for each one and for the boas probably 6 foot or bigger from AP. Does anyone have there larger cages, any sagging? Thanks for all the replies guys I really appricate it.
-Matt Graybeal

rhacoholic83
12-28-2003, 06:50 AM
I have 4 of the Boaphile 24 x 18 x18 arboreal cages with helix heat panels installed. They rock!! Lightweight and the perches he includes are awesome. They have a notch so they don't rotate and he roughed up the surface of the PVC so my chondros had a good grip on the perch. My boaphiles rock... But a lil too expensive too in my opinion.

As for Moonstruck's , The price seriously can't be beat and their customer service so far is great. I made an inquiry on Friday got a response later in about an hour. I ended up ordering a few cages from them as well.

Now I almost bought the 421D boaphiles over the moonstuck's, but I went with the moonstucks because of the two plexiglas doors instead of the single door on the boaphile. Just my two cents. I prefer the dual doors on a 4 foot cage.

Simon Lin

HerpVenue
12-28-2003, 11:38 AM
CAGES
I have BARRS
I have Precision (lots of them)
I have Boaphiles.
I like them all.

BARRS and Precision to me seem to be the same.
Except Precision is just more aesthetically pleasing.
And Precision comes with more extras or upgrades more customizable. (heat pads, Lights, dividers, holes etc)

Boaphiles are also plenty customizable. And Jeff is also a terific guy like the owners of the first two companies are.

Moonstuck. They seem to be an up and coming cage maker. I have correscponded with them ever so briefly and I was rather pleased. I think I will try them out in the future.

For my everyday ball Pythons and Redtail boas. I would keep them in a BARRS or a Precision. Even some of my Burms are in them.

But If I had HUGE Retics and or Anacondas. Those I would keep in a boaphile. Nothing against BARRS or Precision. But the boaphile metal hinges just give me a lot more confidence than the plastic ones from BARRS and Precision.

So basically what I am saying is......all the cage makers are good. I guess you just gotta balance out your needs, wants, financing and whatever else you need and decide for yourself. I do not think you can go wrong with any of them.

RACKS
I have Boaphile Racks
I also have Natures Spirit Racks
I also have my own homemade Rack wich can house 80-96 animals in shoeboxes
Each Rack was bought or made because of the needs and wants that I had. Each rack had the specifications I needed or wanted.

So you just gotta examine what it is you need and go from there.
You can't go wrong with racks from either of these two.

Tim Rash
12-28-2003, 12:41 PM
I only have 12 BARRS cage's so far for my Arboreal's but I love them. You can't beat the price for a cage that good.
Tim

dwedeking
12-28-2003, 01:15 PM
We have two of Moonstruck Exotics 4' boa cages. Everything was exactly as described and they are working out really well. Customer service was top notch.

I have one rack from Boaphile and one on the way. Really excellent construction and I like the "plug n play" feature (nothing to wire, just plug it into the controller). Customer service has been great.

I think the real thing lacking in the cage industry across the board is turn around time. The company that can get same day or next day shipping will be leaps and bounds above the competition. I routinely pass up on animal purchases because I'd have to wait for caging.

Ponderosa Snake
12-28-2003, 10:40 PM
I inquired about the cages then I ordered 2 of them. I wanted to test drive them for awhile before I ordered more. One cage was going to have a divider installed. I sent money via Pay pal on Oct. 19 2003. After Moonstruck Exotics received my payment they said the would contact me on the progress. I inquired a few times after the 3 weeks time had elapsed. I was having a few e-mail issues (sometimes taking several days to receive e-mails) so it didn’t concern me that hadn’t heard from them.

I sent Neil and Lisa an e-mail on Nov. 21 asking if they had been sent and if so could I have the tracking number. Moonstruck sent a reply on Nov. 24 “I am switching to ups for my shipping ( from fedex) way to many losses. Ups is saying they will be better(we will see!) They have to come by and inspect my packaging for credit on a damage claim. Sorry for all of the delays, but will next week work?” I said next week would be great. I inquired again on Dec. 4 2003 about the cage status. They sent this response “Charles, one cage went out yesterday Ups tracking# 1zy71f450399182054 The one with the divider is going out monday...Thanks again for your patience.”

I didn’t receive my first cage till Dec. 16 2003. The cage had brown box tape on it which when removed left brown adhesive on the cage. Not a serious problem. It was also missing the heat tape (double checked their Kingsnake ad to make sure I wasn’t mistaken about it coming with heat tape). I e-mailed about my concerns. They responded the same day “Hi Chuck, I am sorry for the tape sticking. I tried a new kind, and apparently it’s not the one I want to use.Try a little rubbing alcohol on it, but make sure not to get any on the doors!! It will cloud them up. My heat just arrived yesterday, so I will send heat, cords and clips with the divider cage, which will go out thursday at the latest. Sorry for all these delays, I am ready to pull my hair out with all these problems, but it is getting much better (growing pains I guess) If you need other cages in the future, I will make sure it goes a lot smoother, and I will give you a discount for the trouble.” As of Dec. 28 2003 I am still waiting on the divided cage and the heat tape for the first cage.

The cages themselves are well constructed. It would be nice to have a knob or something on the doors so you could open them (have to use the key to open). I wouldn’t have a problem doing more business with them if they could guarantee delivery times. Luckily I wasn’t in a real hurry to get these.

I attached a picture of the cage with to tape adhesive.

brucestephenson
12-28-2003, 11:28 PM
Just to let you know my experience with Vision cages and leopard geckos with their similar size cages. The babies and small geckos can easily escape between the sliding glass panels. The dam in front is very problematic with the animals hiding in it - if you are an enthusiastic cleaner you can accidently wipe over a hiding gecko causing injury to it.
However, the Visions are great for other applications that would not be affected by these two things and I have purchased MANY Visions. Please think about this with other sliding glass cages with dams.
When I get back into geckos, I will go back to sweater and shoe box racks. I have not chosen a manufacturer. I have been a big breeder in the past of leopard geckos.

MGReptiles
12-28-2003, 11:28 PM
It sounds like im going with Animal Plastics. They have some excellent customer service, even email at 11:00 at night . Thanks for all the votes and input guys. The quality of the cage is the main concern but customer service is right up there with that. AP seems to have it going on, Ill keep you guys posted.
-Matt Graybeal

MGReptiles
12-29-2003, 12:21 AM
One more thing can anyone tell me how the PA cages hold heal using flexwatt. Thanks again-
-Matt Graybeal

brucestephenson
12-29-2003, 12:44 AM
I don't know about their heat retention, but I highly recommend buying a HELIX temperature control system. It was one of the best reptile things I have ever purchased.

JungleHabitats
12-29-2003, 12:55 AM
Use flexwat just a heat rope and i have heard from someone that has it and says they dont like it and have replaced it w/ flexwatt
maybe they have decided to offer flew watt now im not sure
good luck

Animal Plastics
12-29-2003, 09:48 AM
Here is a link to a discusion about our heat cable, I think you will see that most people thinks it works great

http://www.bobclark.com/bcforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18424&FORUM_ID=10&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=Animal+Plastics+Heat+Cable%3F%3F%3F&Forum_Title=Husbandry+%26+Equipment+Forum

There was one gentleman that did not like the heat rope, but there was a lot more to that story.

Thanks

Animal Plastics
12-29-2003, 09:50 AM
Sorry, I forgot my name above

Mark Mertens
Animal Plastics

Mike B.
12-29-2003, 05:49 PM
Ive got a rack that has belly heat from animal plastics and it uses the heat rope routered into the bottom. I have no complaints about it at all, it does get extremely hot but if you are using a good proportional thermostat you wont have any problems. It will heat my entire rack to 88 degrees on the warm side and my snake room is constantly at 68-69 degrees all year. Im not positive who the manufacturer of the heat rope is but one of the best Green Tree Python breeders builds racks that have ezheat heat rope routered into the bottom of the racks also, and if hes trusting the rope for his neonates then I wouldnt think theres any problem.

brucestephenson
12-29-2003, 08:19 PM
My melamine racks were purchased from Greg Maxwell I'm pretty sure under the name CageMaster some years ago and they had the heat cable. I used the HELIX thermostat system to great effect as the heat cable must never be used without controls. It gets extremely hot. I bred many leopard geckos, but I sold them all to Tom Crutchfield back in the good old days.
Greg Maxwell has morphed into a leading authority on breeding Green Tree Pythons. He has one of the best websites of all time.

ALukE
01-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Never even heard of those other two. AP cages, racks, and overall quality can't b beat. Plus their customer service is awsome! If ya got a problem, Mark won't send you glue to solve it!:D

Bci Joe
01-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Boaphile all the way.

Got rid of my melamime, even got rid of my Visions!!!

BOAPHILE ALL THE WAY.

SWAG
01-27-2004, 01:54 PM
In the thread on Moonstruck Exotics I have a fuller account of my interaction. Point in short- excellent customer service when something "went wrong" (and thats where it matters.) In terms of the cage itself, I'm currently acclimating a WC papuan python in it. These snakes have the capacity to severely test a cage, and its holding up fine. That what gets my seal of approval.

MGReptiles
01-30-2004, 03:50 PM
I just got my first Animal Plastic cage today and man these cages are awsome. I see why the poll was in there favor now. There customer service is top of the line, I know what they were doing every step of the way. A+ Mark and Ali...
-Matt Graybeal

ALukE
01-30-2004, 04:15 PM
Ummmm, I don't even think this is a contest. I've never experienced BARRS or precision, but I can say AP can't be beat or immitated. Sure, there are those that try, but they will soon fail in an attempt to compete with all that AP has to offer. AP's state of the art caging and many soon to come new extras will turn plenty of heads! Just dont be fooled by wanabes or crappy immitations!
Thanks,
Andy Luksetich

MGReptiles
01-30-2004, 04:36 PM
According to there website there going to start making incubators....
-Matt Graybeal

JungleHabitats
01-30-2004, 06:47 PM
.....:bluegrab:

E2MacPets
01-30-2004, 07:27 PM
I guess its a good sign when a company is willing to adapt. Its just unfortunate that it takes competition in order for a company to become innovative.

ALukE
01-30-2004, 08:20 PM
Man i wish i lived in Morganton, NC.

Andy Luksetich

Dave Lawson
01-31-2004, 03:11 PM
I have have freedom breeders, neos and Barrs. I got my first herp cage at a Tampa show a few years ago and since then I have bought several at each show I did that they were at. Each of the cages I have from all thre companies are great but with the Barrs it is so very nice to just pick it up and dunk it clean, try that with a big neo or 6' freedom breeder.

lolaophidia
02-01-2004, 12:38 PM
For racks- Animal Plastics with the heat rope are great. I purchased one earlier this year (requested heat on only 4 shelves even) and once I got a plug back on it that was damaged in shipping, I've had no complaints. Mark was very responsive when I contacted him about the missing plug and when I ran into problems locating the right model rubbermaid tubs for the rack.

Boaphile cages are still my favorite. I love the hardware and the fact that they are so light weight. Very easy to clean, hold humidity, and the installed heat tape option works well for me. I wish they were a little less expensive so I could move more of my snakes into them!

Lora Vencill

Steve Craig
02-02-2004, 01:44 PM
For my collection of Kingsnakes, Ratsnakes & Corns, Barrs cages are perfect. Feather weight, easy to clean, stackable, excellent price. Visions are nice also, but I was worried about security with smaller snakes.
Steve Craig

JESSICA
02-05-2004, 07:36 PM
HI,
I SIGNED UP TO CHECK OUT THE (BOARD OF INQUIRY)ABOUT MOON STRUCK .
BUT, WHEN I SAW YOUR QUESTION ! I THOUGHT I WOULD ADD MY 2 CENTS,, I ORDERED 4 CAGES FROM MOON STRUCK THE 1 WEEK OF DEC. I FIRST RECEIVED 1 CAGE ON TUES 2-3-2004.AND , IT HAD A CRACK BETWEEN THE DOORS. THEY NEVER ANSWERED ME ABOUT THAT. I STILL DIDN'T HEAR BACK FROM THEM AS TO WHERE MY OTHER 3 CAGES ARE.
THEY TOLD ME IT WOULD BE 3 WEEKS BECAUSE OF THE HOLIDAY WHEN I ORDERED THEM. I THINK THIS IS A LITTLE TO MUCH.

I WAS TALKING TO MIKE AT ISIS REPTILES AND SAW HIS CAGES. HE GAVE THE NAME AND # OF JOHN ROYLANCE, AT
SNAKE RACKS.COM
I SPOKE WITH JOHN AND WITH THE FEED BACK FROM, MIKE AT ISIS REPTILE. I WILL TRY THEM.
JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE,

JESSICA

puppypirate
07-02-2004, 10:13 PM
As a High school teacher with a new snake colection though it be a small one and a cage shortage I will go with whichever company decides to help me out with a donation.:)

JungleHabitats
07-02-2004, 10:21 PM
I wished you live here also .. would love to show you some very nice well built cages ... with some options that are exclusive to my cages that sets them a step above of others. like the Anti-lift KV track systems that works just KILLER in keeping large lizards & snakes in the cage while providing a easy finger touch glide opening and it also has a AWSOME locking system on it ... if you ever get the chance to come to NC ....call me lol ;)

bachman
07-02-2004, 10:40 PM
Boaphile all the way!!!!

Chad Bachman

gmherps
07-03-2004, 08:21 AM
Boaphiles and Neo's are for me.

Randy T.
07-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Jungle Habitats or my own line for me.

If I had to pick one of the three listed I would go with Precision or Barrs. (I own an animal plastics cage, and it is the worst "manufactured" unit I have seen)

JungleHabitats
07-03-2004, 07:42 PM
uhhhm show me a advertisement and ill show where the pot of gold is at the end of the rainbow .. this isnt the BC forums dont let the power goto your head man ... just because i am not Animal Plastics dont come at me with inappropriate advertising slag ... i didnt advertise on the boi i was simply making a STATEMENT its sad you have to try that avenue against me for my post ...:bawling: VERY tacky Jay VERY tacky indeed and to do it twice and call it tacky .... what a crock !!! one warning was sufficient but i guess that wand in your hand made you god today

jenn
07-04-2004, 01:19 AM
I only go with Jungle Habitats and this is why!
http://img72.photobucket.com/albums/v218/jendahl/my%20snakes/DSCF0001.jpg
They say a pix is worth a thousand words. Even if my picuter taking isn't all that good. lol
Thanks Alan for another aswome cage!!!!!

Tim Rash
07-04-2004, 09:32 PM
I love my BARRS. Can't beat the price either.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL24/811641/3955038/54503380.jpg

Tim Rash

SPJ
07-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Jungle Habitats.....very nice cages (even if Alan is currenlty ignoring me:D ) that are top notch construction.

Neodesha......I won't even go there but they are out of business for a reason.

BARR's....very nice cages and good communication. I really like the thank you note in the box. Very ingenious.

Precision cages......still undecided at this time. I paypaled them for a cage on June 17th and have emailed them 3 times since asking when it might be shipped. Still no reply.

Animal Plastics......never bought one but have heard good things about them.

JungleHabitats
07-05-2004, 07:36 PM
check your email i did contact you on the friday the 2nd not sure why you didnt get it but please look again you have mail
alan

SPJ
07-05-2004, 08:01 PM
I never got it.:(
Please send it again.
sjordanides@sbcglobal.net
Thanks.

E2MacPets
07-08-2004, 12:16 AM
With all due respect, this thread is not the right place to be contacting eachother about a future transaction. Take the conversation to PM instead of furthering the accusations that Alan is using this thread to gain customers.

Sand&SunReptile
09-17-2004, 03:16 PM
You forgot the best one!
SNAKE SHACKS!!!!
Casey, as everyone already knows by now is an excellent guy, best in the business. Get your racks very quick, usually within a week of confirmed payment.
Great quality, excellent price.
Mike Fortier.

Dennis Hultman
05-24-2005, 12:06 PM
You forgot the best one!
SNAKE SHACKS!!!!
Casey, as everyone already knows by now is an excellent guy, best in the business. Get your racks very quick, usually within a week of confirmed payment.
Great quality, excellent price.
Mike Fortier.

Mike, I agree with your above statement but this thread is about cages. I do believe Casey does not make them.

Alias47
05-24-2005, 01:01 PM
I don't believe he does either...
BUT I have been meaning to discuss that with him...
Will see him this weekend at the Valpo show...have to bring it up...

MGReptiles
05-25-2005, 06:35 PM
I only deal with Casey for my racks, Ap for my large cages and ACR for my baby rhac caging.. Stay away from boaphile, pvccages.com aka Jim scharphorn...
-Matt Graybeal

jim scharphorn
05-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Seeing Matt descided to tell people to stay away from me I guess I better post why, It is because I posted about Matts lousy customer service, Matt never bought a cage or rack from me or has he ever seen one so he has no right to say stay away from me, I have great customer service and I produce a excellent cage and rack, Matt and a few guys here do not like me because I called matt out for his lousy service, I have heard from allot of people how terrible matts service is but they do not want to get involved here so they do not post it, You do not see any bad deals here on my cages because I take care of my customres and give them no reason to show up here, I also am now working full time building cages when it was just a side job.
Thanks again Matt for your continued slam, Stay away from the bargain basement when you can get the same product elsewhere for cheaper and better customer service.
O ya P.S., Matt you are a dang LIER.

critical bill
05-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Matt and a few guys here do not like me because I called matt out for his lousy service,

Thats not true. You had more than a few people shaking thier head at you Jim. I think youre ranked like number 3 or 4 in negative points and I doubt it got that way from just a few people siding with Matt.

You harrased his mother for christ sake. Youre lucky you got lousy service in exchange for that. 9 out of 10 would have told you to suck wind after a stupid stunt like that.

I have heard from allot of people how terrible matts service is but they do not want to get involved here so they do not post it,

I challenge you to do it! Get them to post here! Better yet, I challenge you to a duel! *smack*smack*.

You do not see any bad deals here on my cages because I take care of my customres and give them no reason to show up here, I also am now working full time building cages when it was just a side job.

They arent writing anything positive about you either Jimbo. No trader points, no nothing. Damned if you do and damned if you dont eh?

Thanks again Matt for your continued slam, Stay away from the bargain basement when you can get the same product elsewhere for cheaper and better customer service.
O ya P.S., Matt you are a dang LIER.

This hurts my eyes, someone please decipher. I cant read jimbo jive.

jim scharphorn
05-25-2005, 08:53 PM
LOL, Good one critical, I bet Matt told you I harassed his mother as well, Again another lie.
You sure can find the bull shi!! in Matt, by the way How does it taste ?

O'YA God Bless.

Jim O
05-25-2005, 08:54 PM
:bandhead0

MGReptiles
05-25-2005, 09:19 PM
LOL are you kidding me.LOL This post is about caging companies. I just posted to stay away from the bad ones or the ones that would treat you badly or the the one that will not talk to you at all. You cannot have my customer service any longer Jim... Please tell me who it is that I have done wrong???? Talk about a liar...

jim scharphorn
05-25-2005, 09:55 PM
You got to be joking Matt, You just posted to stay away from me, I am a cage builder.

You never bought from me.

But I have bought from you 4 times and 3 out of the 4 times was terrible service, you even went as far as to lie that you called me witch you did not, then you posted that I harrassed your mother, again NOT TRUE. You even tried to take me for $5 because you did not know how to refund paypal correctly. then you actually told me that I owed you.

Do I act rude here ? YES I DO, If you post neg. about me do not expect me to be nice.
If I was in the wrong and desrved the neg. then I should not be rude but so far all the negative I have got from some of you is from lies that you believed from Good o'll god bearing Matty .

jim scharphorn
05-25-2005, 10:03 PM
You cannot have my customer service any longer Jim... Please tell me who it is that I have done wrong???? Talk about a liar...

Man you just broke my heart, no more of your customer service, :bawling:
I never had it.

shrap
05-25-2005, 10:27 PM
It always amazes me every time I see people slamming Boaphile for poor customer service. I do not doubt that they have had problems with them, it is just that I have never had a problem with them in over a year doing business with them and several transactions.

All emails are answered promptly, calls answered or returned promptly, orders always arrive on time and always flawless. In fact I just got my latest order yesterday. All 15 cages arrived exactly 4 weeks and 2 days after being ordered.

Like I said, I am sure folks have had their problems. I am not doubting them in any way. It just surprises me because I have never had a problem or been unhappy in any way with them.

MGReptiles
05-25-2005, 10:37 PM
OkI am ignoring the parasite... Hey sharp... I truly wish I didnt have bad experiences with them as I woudl order from then again if they had just treated me with respect and not acted like I was the vein of their existance.. That and the arrogent ads on Kingsnake, even with respect to Ol scharphorn they disrespect every cage manufacture out there...

critical bill
05-25-2005, 10:53 PM
you posted that I harrassed your mother, again NOT TRUE.

Do I act rude here ? YES I DO,

Youve no self control Jim. I think thats the real problem.

All you had to do is respond that you believe your product to be of great quality and craftmanship to defend yourself. Instead you went off on a rant. Now you appear insane and on a cage thread no less. A thread that will no doubt get much attention.

Your last positive feedback was 4/02. I thought by now with the old thread being dead and buried that surely business would start picking up for you. Certainly you shouldnt be condemned for one messed up deal in which you were the buyer.

But now with this flaring up again? Looks like its back to sheet rock and hand jobs, errr I mean side jobs, for you.

Dennis Hultman
05-25-2005, 11:01 PM
:bandhead0
:bandhead0 :bandhead0

critical bill
05-25-2005, 11:21 PM
LOL, Good one critical,

Thank you.

I bet Matt told you I harassed his mother as well, Again another lie.

No actually he didnt. You posted you spoke with Matts mom. You involved her, you upset her, you harrased her. Yes you did.

Are you kicking pvc panels all over the garage yet Sharpnot?

Mickey_TLK
05-25-2005, 11:37 PM
High Horse Adds, and piss poor customer service aside, I LOVE MY BOAPHILES.

I read the same things all the time, customer service sucks (never really been an issue with me, but YES JEFF IS TOUGH TO CONTACT). I think alot of people need to look at all sides of this one. Jeff has tried to address the situation, and has still fallen short obviously. However the customer is partially to blame on this as well. Everone wants CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP, but dont spare on the quality of the customer service.

The cageing business is one of the most competitive markets out there. The margins are SLIM, and not many people are buying up wholesale lots of chages. As such each sale counts, so I see no wrong in Jeff letting people know what hes done to make the cages he builds so well regarded by his customers. Sadly his poor customer service (or atleast the appearance )takes away from that hard work at times.

You know, if you look at alot of the people posting on this thread, they are cage manufactures or friends of manufactures. Jeff hasnt posted here, but a few of us who have purchased from him have.

All I can tell anyone considering buying from Jeff is this. You will get a great cage. YOU WILL GET YOUR ORDER (no fly by night sals there). If your not happy with your order, Jeff will work within reason to satisify your concerns.

You may have to wait a bit for the order. You may have to work a bit to be his customer (not something your used to in this "the customer is always right age"), but as a buying customer I can assure you the wait is worth it IMO. If you dont get a responce from Jeff, give him the benifit of the doubt. Try and contact him again, call, whatever. Spam filters block message, phone messages get lost in the mix, and most of all PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES.

You have to remeber when you take away all the bells and whilstles your still just dealing with a bald fat snake lover, whos business has grown faster then he could have dreamed. Not some no name monster.

Maybe as a small business owner myself, I can "feel Jeffs pain" on issues concerning customer service. Maybe our friendship blinds me from the truth, who knows. I just felt I would say my peace.

shrap
05-25-2005, 11:55 PM
That and the arrogent ads on Kingsnake, even with respect to Ol scharphorn they disrespect every cage manufacture out there...

There is no denying that, bro. Their ads are a definate turn off and disrespectful to say the least.

I love their cage products though. They are the best cages out there in my opinion, and like I said before, I personally have not had the customer service nightmares that many others have had. It is just a shame that their advertising approach and sometimes poor customer service drives people away because they really do make a great cage with some of the best options on the market.

PaulSage
05-26-2005, 02:07 AM
There is no denying that, bro. Their ads are a definate turn off and disrespectful to say the least.

I love their cage products though. They are the best cages out there in my opinion, and like I said before, I personally have not had the customer service nightmares that many others have had. It is just a shame that their advertising approach and sometimes poor customer service drives people away because they really do make a great cage with some of the best options on the market.

I agree. I REALLY like my boaphile racks and cages - so much that I stomach the minor hassles and wouldn't bother trying a different manufacturer. Jeff and Joel are a little hard (okay, a LOT hard) to get in touch with, but when I did have a problem (UPS likes to throw things) they replied to me immediately, offered their assistance and mailed me the screws and instructions I needed to repair the rack.

The only thing I would add about their cages is that I do NOT recommend getting any WHITE cages. Snake poo stains them, and you can't get it out (at least not with any of the dozens of chemicals that I tried). I'm not sure if this applies to other 'white cage' manufacturers though. Anyone know if AP has that problem?

David Bellis
05-26-2005, 03:01 AM
I have had no problem cleaning anything off my white AP cages. I've cleaned up more than a few runny piles of retic poo and they're still white.

Alias47
05-26-2005, 10:03 AM
I just wanted to say...

I have never seen anyone...ANYONE complain about Matt's service EXCEPT Jim Scharphorn...

And I HAVE seen your racks and cages Jim...
Michigan Society of Herpetologists show...in G.R....at Godwin Elementary School...Good thing Casey didn't bring any racks...would have made yours look even worse than they do by themselves.

I think the design is complete crap...
Your racks aren't designed to be interchangeable...with those queer clear acrylic support dowels in two slots...
And the BURNED twisted PVC pipe arboreal cage furniture looks like a plastic lawn chair I threw in the burn pile last year...ugly, charred garbage.

Even if I DIDN'T know you throw tantrums like a child...I still wouldn't have considered buying any of it...

The people that buy from you must not know any better...which is a shame.

Why don't you get some of those 'MANY PEOPLE' that have had bad customer service from Matt to post here...PLEASE...

Just a couple of them...so we can see that you are a truthful person...
And not a complete LIAR (that is the correct spelling, btw)

The only thing bad about Matt is he knows I am weak...and will buy snakes impulsively...

He dangles them in front of me like a steak in front of a famine victim...

critical bill
05-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Michigan Society of Herpetologists show...in G.R....at Godwin Elementary School...Good thing Casey didn't bring any racks...would have made yours look even worse than they do by themselves.

Your racks aren't designed to be interchangeable...with those queer clear acrylic support dowels in two slots...
And the BURNED twisted PVC pipe arboreal cage furniture looks like a plastic lawn chair I threw in the burn pile last year...ugly, charred garbage.

Even if I DIDN'T know you throw tantrums like a child...I still wouldn't have considered buying any of it...

What did I tell you Jimbo? WHAT DID I TELL YOU? You dont slam people for thier opinion on a cage thread when you sell cages.

You have a date with destiny, Jimbo. Ask me for help and I'll introduce you to hope. Through her you might find faith. And by the goodness of all three you may receive charity.

Goosefraba, Goosefraba.....Jimbo.

jim scharphorn
05-26-2005, 11:07 AM
I just wanted to say...

The people that buy from you must not know any better...which is a shame.

Goes to show how much you know about cages, for one the hatchling racks with the dowels are not able to be interchangable because there is no interchangable tubs for them, then there was the sweater box rack that has dowels that are removable to switch tubs out with different ones but someone as qualified as you are would have known this.
Ya casey should have brought a rack then you would be able to sit them next to each other and seen my caddilac compaired to his chevette.

You should have introduced yourself, what were you scared ??

Thanks for mocking my cages, goes to show you just do not like me and that is the only reason you just mocked my cages, you know dang well they are the best.

Alias47
05-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Goes to show how much you know about cages, for one the hatchling racks with the dowels are not able to be interchangable because there is no interchangable tubs for them, then there was the sweater box rack that has dowels that are removable to switch tubs out with different ones but someone as qualified as you are would have known this.
Ya casey should have brought a rack then you would be able to sit them next to each other and seen my caddilac compaired to his chevette.

You should have introduced yourself, what were you scared ??

Thanks for mocking my cages, goes to show you just do not like me and that is the only reason you just mocked my cages, you know dang well they are the best.

I wasn't talking about shoeboxes...I was talking about the sweaters...figured they were removable...but why pay extra for a part that will get thrown away?
Besides...what is the point? Aren't your racks sturdy enough to not need them?

Your 'Cadillac' to his "Chevette"...really don't think so...your Caddie must be the one going to the crusher at the local scrap heap...because it isn't even good for parts. Besides...Casey is a GREAT guy...not only are he and Darla two of the nicest people you would ever care to meet...his service and dedication to his customers is top notch.
Why would I even consider purchasing ANYTHING from someone with your attitude and antisocial tendencies when I can get a better product from someone who I actually enjoy seeing and talking to?

HAHAHAHA I know dang well they are the best??!?!?!? Keep on living in your own little world...it bet it's nice there...where you are right...and the cows are purple...
Actually I have to thank you...this DID make me laugh...

Believe me I was tempted to introduce myself...but I decided that this was a family event...to support the MHS...and you and I having a pissing match in the middle of it would be neither prudent nor worthwhile...

And I was definitely NOT scared of you...kind of sawed off little runt...and old enough I would feel bad getting into an altercation with you. Besides you were there with your wife...and grandkids...at least thats the way it appeared...and I had my two boys with me...I am man enough to respect your family...and my own...and to respect the dealers, customers and the MHS not to start an argument with you that has absolutely no point...and will never be resolved...well other than...I don't like your product...I don't like you...and I will NEVER buy a thing from you in my life...so it is truly YOUR loss...You are a businessman...aren't you supposed to be trying to GAIN customers instead of alienating them every chance you get?

Oh...and if your intention was calling me out after that fact...I get to Michigan quite often...you are more than welcome to it...although I don't know what good it would do...other than to slow your business (even more than it is...if THAT is possible)while you heal. :dgrin:

Dennis Hultman
05-26-2005, 11:42 AM

Casey has not insulted your racks. He has done nothing but respond to your infantile outbursts and even offered to replace your rack. If you want some more attention bring your thread back to the top of the BOI. I don't see there is a need to pollute yet another thread.

jim scharphorn
05-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Alias47 sweaters...figured they were removable...

So wich is it, you figured ? or they are not removable ? seeing your back peddling now.

Alias47
05-26-2005, 12:23 PM
I am most certainly not back peddling...

I did figure they would HAVE to be removable...but it isn't like I went over and kicked the darn thing to find out...
And I certainly didn't build that crap...so wasn't sure...especially when dealing with such an intelligent individual as yourself...heck they could have been super glued in place...or screwed in...at least they weren't directly in front of any of the tubs... :rolleyes:

I did find your racks endearing...reminded me of those birdhouses kids bring home from the boy scouts or 6th grade shop class...
Most birds wouldn't find them a suitable or sturdy home...with the bad joints and glue runs...but it's the thought that counts.

jim scharphorn
05-26-2005, 12:38 PM
I just wanted to say...

Looks like controdiction to me, correct me if I am wrong.

And now you ad glue runs, LOL you did not even get close to the cages to be able to tell how my dowel worked now you say glue runs, LOL

Just goes to show that there is 4 or 5 people on this circle of BOI that do not like me and they show it by slamming me.

critical bill
05-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Just goes to show that there is 4 or 5 people

the figure is more like 45, but who counting. I say it again, there is no way, NO WAY, you could achieve the spot youve taken on the negative points ladder by just 4 or 5 people in disagreement with you. NO WAY!!!

on this circle of BOI

This circle of BOI? HEH HEH HEH....

Oh Jimbo, are you feeling like the circle jerk boy in the center? I would imagine you've found yourself in a very sticky situation.

shrap
05-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Just goes to show that there is 4 or 5 people on this circle of BOI that do not like me and they show it by slamming me.

4 or 5 may show it by slamming you, but a much larger number show it by simply not purchasing anything from you and ignoring your existence.

Mickey_TLK
05-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Well I figured since I was 100% sure Jeff hadnt read a word of this thread, I should call him and inform him of it, and its contents.

Jeff is likely NOT going to come here and addresss this issues raised about his business, just not his style. Im sure that alone tends to piss some people off here, so be it.

Jeff was unaware that his advertising was looked on soo poorly by potential customers. He feels hes sorta in a bind on how to advertise. Its true some of the things he says in his adds are meant to get under his competitors skins, but others are there just to point out the truth.

How would you feel if you worked hard to perfect a great product, only to have everyone jump on the band wagon. Granted that is life, but Im betting many of you would try and point out who was the originator and so on a so fourth.

Maybe he will tone down the "disrespect" that people catch in his adds. As I told him, and have told others I dont mind his adds. I honestly find them to be upfront a funny. Thats more my style I guess. But hopefully he can take a good look at the way he represents his products in adds, and accomplish the points in a less critical fashion.

Anyways, this is my last post on this point, as its not even my business. Just figured Id help a friend out a bit.

Alias47
05-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Looks like controdiction to me, correct me if I am wrong.

And now you ad glue runs, LOL you did not even get close to the cages to be able to tell how my dowel worked now you say glue runs, LOL

It's not a contradiction (correct spelling again...)
I simply stated it's a poor design...if the dowels are part of the structure...and are needed for support...why wouldn't you make the structure STRONGER and eliminate them entirely?

If you happened to READ the post...and if you are entirely able to understand polysyllabic words...you would have seen that the birdhouses were what was being spoken about...I did look VERY closely at them...they definitely are not up to my expectations...an amatuerish attempt at rack building...and shoddy craftsmanship at best.

Although with this immediately defensive posture...I would have to wonder if maybe you HAVE sent some racks out with glue drips and bad joints...

jim scharphorn
05-26-2005, 06:23 PM
As usual , stabs from one of the master stabbers himself,
You know dang well my product is not a piece of junk, the racks are made out of 3/8 PVC and do not need the dowels, I think they look more classy with them, as well as many other people. 3/8 sure is better then 1/4, it is like paper to card board.
But thanks again for your continued bad mouth of my very nice product.

Jim O
05-26-2005, 06:28 PM
:bandhead0 :bandhead0
:bandhead0 :bandhead0 :bandhead0

jim scharphorn
05-26-2005, 06:37 PM
JimO, I realize your banging your head for me so I just have to ask, how do you go from 0 rep points to 89 rep points in roughly 2 to 3 months ? i bet it is for hanging with the slam dogs ?

MGReptiles
05-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Whats a slam dog?

Jim O
05-26-2005, 07:41 PM
Not sure what exactly you mean Jim but I have gone out of my way in being fair to you. The problem is you never know when to stop and only harm yourself. And hence, the :bandhead0's

Jim O
05-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Whats a slam dog?
Yeah. What is a slam dog?

critical bill
05-26-2005, 08:04 PM

I dont know, but I'll have two with mustard and onions please.

critical bill
05-26-2005, 08:31 PM
how do you go from 0 rep points to 89 rep points in roughly 2 to 3 months ?

There are many ways. You can post funny stuff that makes a person laugh. You can post informative stuff that helps others. You can even be rude, REAL RUDE, and receive positive points. You can be down on your luck, sharing your thoughts, ranting about PETCO, and receive positive points.

If you act like a poo poo head all the time no one will have anything positive to say.

i bet it is for hanging with the slam dogs ?

You say there are only 4 or 5 people who slam you on threads? Take a screen shot of your rep points and post it. If I see your reputation has been destroyed by only 4 or 5 people I will apologize and I will never again post anything concerning you.

Dr Owens
05-26-2005, 08:35 PM

Let me try to help...

After extensive Googling I have been unsuccessful in my quest to find the definition of "slam dog." However, I thought that it might be possible to "ferret out" the definition of a previously unknown term that originated from such a peculiar and disturbed mind...

What I did learn through my “research” was that "slam," as a slang term, is defined as follows:

Slam: Excellent. Good.
Example: That dessert was slam, Melba.

I also learned that "dog" (again, as a slang term) could be defined as:

Dog: a close, trusted friend- man's best friend.
Example: Tony and Lester Joe are my dogs- I'd trust them with anything.

Armed with this new-found knowledge I came to the conclusion that Jim must have been referring to you guys as his "excellent, trusted friends"…which seems to be quite a compliment. :)

However, this conclusion when viewed in the context of the conversation at hand appears to be a fallible hypothesis at best. Therefore, I too am left wondering…

Jim, just what in the hell IS a “slam dog?” :shrug01:

(Oh wait…there I go again…expecting some sort of intelligence thought behind a post without considering the source. I hate it when I do that... :bandhead0)

Bill_Leverton
05-27-2005, 07:16 AM
Let me try to help...

After extensive Googling I have been unsuccessful in my quest to find the definition of "slam dog." However, I thought that it might be possible to "ferret out" the definition of a previously unknown term that originated from such a peculiar and disturbed mind...

What I did learn through my “research” was that "slam," as a slang term, is defined as follows:

Slam: Excellent. Good.
Example: That dessert was slam, Melba.

I also learned that "dog" (again, as a slang term) could be defined as:

Dog: a close, trusted friend- man's best friend.
Example: Tony and Lester Joe are my dogs- I'd trust them with anything.

Armed with this new-found knowledge I came to the conclusion that Jim must have been referring to you guys as his "excellent, trusted friends"…which seems to be quite a compliment. :)

However, this conclusion when viewed in the context of the conversation at hand appears to be a fallible hypothesis at best. Therefore, I too am left wondering…

Jim, just what in the hell IS a “slam dog?” :shrug01:

(Oh wait…there I go again…expecting some sort of intelligence thought behind a post without considering the source. I hate it when I do that... :bandhead0) Thanks Dr.O :) Now that "Slam Dog" Has been defined Where do I sign up ?? or is it automatic being part of The "Fauna Cult" :) Now back to the subject at hand... Everybody has their own opinion on who is the best...Personally I build my own.But Ive seen them all except Jims and they are all good cages over priced but good .Jim O got his points for being Jim O Direct to the point and taking No Do Do and standing his ground all this equals "Respect" Respect is how you get those Ratings hope that answers your Question :)

Alias47
05-27-2005, 08:14 AM
As usual , stabs from one of the master stabbers himself,
You know dang well my product is not a piece of junk, the racks are made out of 3/8 PVC and do not need the dowels, I think they look more classy with them, as well as many other people. 3/8 sure is better then 1/4, it is like paper to card board.
But thanks again for your continued bad mouth of my very nice product.

Actually...if you read throught all my posts...I rarely badmouth ANYONE...even if they are deserving of it...but thank you for the title of MASTER

I personally do not like your product...I feel they are not aesthetically pleasing to me in the slightest...my racks from Casey look good and hold up great...plenty strong...never had an escape...and I keep some very small colubrids in some of them...

The dowels do NOT look classy...they look like clear acrylic toilet paper holders stuffed into the front of the rack...

I guess you could always keep a roll handy...since you are full of it.

Chris@TSE
05-27-2005, 08:47 AM
Bottom line: Your product may be nice, who knows....... But one thing is for certain: You're an ass. You could have the best product in the world, but since you have done your best to show people here what you truley are, limited few will actually purchase from you. Just imagine, if you were not such a (insert expletive here) you may actually do qutie well. Perhaps someday you'll grow up and learn to have respect for your peers. Until then, have fun making an ass of yourself like always. Nothing changes, and some would have thought you would learn by now.... HA!

kare
05-27-2005, 12:33 PM
In reference to the question of what rack to use;
Chris at TopShelf Exotics-weren't you ordering different cages/racks from several people? and going to figure out who you wanted to go through to complete your new set-up area? I think it was a post this past winter-did you ever determine -from your hands on experience- which was preferable? I know I like Barrs and Boaphile cages.

Chris@TSE
05-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Yes, and to be quite honest, we chose to construct our own. With all the damaged products and empty promises given my many cage manufacturers in regards to shipping dates, etc. It was simply just a hassle. One manufacturer decided not to reply to our inquiries until weeks after a deadline when we requested a refund. Another simply forgot about us..... And another sent us the same damaged product three or four times!

I'd rather not name names, lets just say I was so disgusted I was nearly motivated into producing our own for resale! Someday maybe, someday.........

Zx7trev
05-27-2005, 04:57 PM
I have used the BARRS caging with my carpets to great success. They are super light, easy to clean, and were very affordable. They also arrived ontime, and in a very short amount of time. (Unless you order custom, they usually have stock premade and ready to ship). They actually overcharged me once by accident, and they fixed it within a day of me noticing it on my bill. Good people.

Shawn

Lucille
09-27-2005, 08:18 AM
I see by reading this thread that people have definite preferences in caging.

I built acrylic cages which are beautiful, but have additional caging needs; I want secure caging that displays nicely, and as I get older I like the lightweight features of many of the new cages which make them easier to move and clean.

I am slowly purchasing Vision cages, I like many of their features. I am impressed also with several of the other cage companies mentioned on this thread, it seems that the industry is evolving and producing better and higher quality cages to fulfill the needs of customers and their reptiles.

I do have a comment about the thread itself: I like the specific comparisons of cage features, costs, delivery times and customer service and so on, all which might influence a cage purchase one way or the other.

I think some of the slamming is unseemly, especially when done by companies who are trying to establish a rep for integrity and class.

MGReptiles
09-27-2005, 11:21 AM
I see by reading this thread that people have definite preferences in caging.

I built acrylic cages which are beautiful, but have additional caging needs; I want secure caging that displays nicely, and as I get older I like the lightweight features of many of the new cages which make them easier to move and clean.

I am slowly purchasing Vision cages, I like many of their features. I am impressed also with several of the other cage companies mentioned on this thread, it seems that the industry is evolving and producing better and higher quality cages to fulfill the needs of customers and their reptiles.

I do have a comment about the thread itself: I like the specific comparisons of cage features, costs, delivery times and customer service and so on, all which might influence a cage purchase one way or the other.

I think some of the slamming is unseemly, especially when done by companies who are trying to establish a rep for integrity and class.

Well put:)