PDA

View Full Version : Shedding Issues

herpspaz
12-30-2003, 01:10 AM
My Ball has had shedding problems the past two sheds. the first time, he was on paper towels, this time, we had switched to Aspen.

He's got a big dish of water that he can fit into, and a big rock to rub on, yet he still has blotches of unshed skin. (his shed doesn't come off in once piece anymore).

We've tried the moist towel in a pillow case overnight thing, and it helped but he still had a few pieces stuck. we also tried rubbing it with a q-tip and warm water...

Is this a symptom for something more serious? or is there something we're doing wrong??

-Karin

NEWReptiles
12-30-2003, 01:22 AM
The Aspen may not be holding the humidity all that well.

I use care fresh or Cypress. I have 1 piece sheds 95% of the time.

herpspaz
12-30-2003, 02:46 AM
I had thought about switching to Cypress, but was afraid that it would hold in TOO much humidity... (I use it for my white lipped python, and it's super humid in there...around 80%).

Will give it a shot though, and switch him over to cypress.

how humid do you usually keep your enclosure for your ball?

Thanks!
-Karin

NEWReptiles
12-30-2003, 03:28 AM
I try my best to keep it about 65-70%

herpspaz
12-30-2003, 08:37 PM
Oh, i didn't realize having it that high would be ok, for some reason I always thought they should be kept at a lower humidity, more like 40-50%. (i don't remember if i read that somewhere, or heard it from someone...)

have switched over to cypress last nite, so hopefully his next shed will be better.

thanks!
-karin