PDA

View Full Version : question about gecko lighting

geckogeek
01-05-2004, 03:49 AM
ok i have a question and would like some other opinions on this ive seen the "moon light bulbs for geckos" and i was wondering instead of buying one of those if i could just use 1 of the black lights i have laying around

thanx
trey

LittleGuy
01-05-2004, 09:29 PM
I have a blacklight and I know that they have very bright ultraviolent rays that we cannot see but it hurts to stare at them. If you are wondering about bulbs for the day I just use a 40 watt basking bulb hooked up to a rheostat to bring down the brightness. As for night the geckos depend on belly heat so I would use heat tape or a heat pad for them. Not a heat rock for those can get very hot and create burns.

herpspaz
01-06-2004, 01:39 PM
black lights won't work cuz they don't emit the same amount of heat as these HEAT bulbs do.

I use the moonlight bulbs myself and think they're great. I leave em on 24/7 in the winter, and let the natural lighting from the windows regulate the day time lights. In the summer, i turn them off at nite.

a UTH is good, but I'd be careful about leaving both the heat lamp and the UTH on at the same time, can get VERY hot!

geckogeek
01-06-2004, 04:23 PM
ok i think i will just break down and buy the night bulb

Geega
03-18-2004, 05:43 PM
I use 100 watt infrared red bulbs. They are not very bright but they keep the tank temperature around 80 degrees.