PDA

View Full Version : Chat working for anyone else..?..

MR_Jungle_Mist
01-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Just wondering if anyone else can get into the chat room. I tried earlier but figured it was me, and I just tried again just a few minutes ago and it's not opening for me again. Anyone else?

dself40
01-11-2004, 12:43 AM
It wont let me in either...I have tried and tried it will only load up the banners but not the room.:(

Hlynn1975
01-11-2004, 12:55 AM
I'm glad it's not just me. I was just going to start a thread like this.

MR_Jungle_Mist
01-11-2004, 12:58 AM
...putting my hand up in the air, desperately trying to catch Rich's attention like a 10 year old needing to go to the bathroom...

We need a reboot when you have a moment please!

Thanks!

dself40
01-11-2004, 01:01 AM
Man you are nuts...lol..
:D

WebSlave
01-11-2004, 02:30 AM
Dang it all........

I've been having some odd problems cropping up on a daily basis since I moved to this new server. The one I put my hosted domains for other people on seems to be solid (knock on wood) but mine seems to be infested with gremlins.

I tried to restart the java engine as well as the chat system. The java engine started up OK, but the chat engine fails to start.

Now what?

I'm about ready to lose my cool about this server crap.

Sorry about this. Man, that's ALL I need right now is to go through another server move...... :hot:

JungleHabitats
01-11-2004, 03:07 AM
here have some FRESH Oreos & milk .... we can live a few minutes without CHAT ... uhmm maybe lol hope its nothing major bad messed up for ya ...
.. oh yeah .. have you been feeding the server after midnight ? you said GREMLINS !!!!! just shine a flashlight in the server ... it worked on TV lol

WebSlave
01-11-2004, 01:48 PM
Chat room is back up.

The guy that installed the java engine for me used a different type than I had been using. So I think I will go back to the original one I have been using with no problems.

Let me know if this drops out again.

Missymonkey
01-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Everytime I visit the chat site it pops up a little message saying that I need Microsoft Java Virtual Machine to run chat, and would I like to download it? I say yes please. Then I get sent to a microsoft site that says that I don't have Microsoft Java Virtual Machine and sucks to be you because you can't view the chat site.

Is this because I am running stupid Windows XP? Holy mother of Moses I hate XP!

MR_Jungle_Mist
01-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Melissa-

A few message down there is a thread with something like "can't get into chat?" or "having problems with chat" or something. Have a look and click on the link there to see if that download helps you at all. It's worked for me and a few others. Might be the solution to your problem as well!

MR_Jungle_Mist
01-11-2004, 09:55 PM
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22016

Don't as me why I put "problem's" to show the plural of problem. I must have been out of coffee that day or something.

WebSlave
01-12-2004, 01:25 AM
I have heard some people had to update their Java in their browser, but it is not a Windows XP issue. I have two computers running XP and both access the chat just fine.

It could also be a security issue, as I believe if you set your browser to the maximum setting for security, it blocks ALL java scripting. So check your security setting in your browser as well.

I assume the chat software is still running? If it fails again, I am going to change out the Java engine on the server.

Missymonkey
01-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks everyone, I downloaded Java and now I can chat... yahoo!
(naturally I am the only one in chat now, go figure :) )

dself40
01-13-2004, 10:23 PM
Anyone else having porblems getting in the chatroom tonight?It wont lewt me in.Keeps sending me back to the page like when you log out of chat?

MR_Jungle_Mist
01-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Give me a quick sec and I'll have a look...will reboot so I'm starting with a fresh Windoze attitude!

WebSlave
01-13-2004, 11:48 PM
I was just on there and didn't see a problem. Had three other people logged on. Got to talking about guns with Kenster and I stayed longer than I had intended. He knows my weak spot...

dself40
01-13-2004, 11:50 PM
Yea I think its my freakin puter.I guess I may have to take it to town and get it looked at.As bad I hate to goto town...lol..Oh and I just got in.Sorry for the belly acking...lol

MR_Jungle_Mist
01-14-2004, 12:18 AM
It works wonderfully! If you weren't on, you missed a heck of a good time! We laughed, we cried, we shared some reptile encounters that made memories.... but, since you weren't there I guess you missed it all!

Don't you wish you would come to chat now!?Muaaaaahahahahahaha!!!!!!

:crazy03:

PS - great new smilies, Webslave!

Missymonkey
01-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Ok, I had it working for a couple of days but now I seem to have more problems. I have the set-up and all the Java is working. I simply do not have ANY text. It won't tell me whose in the room, there is no text like "welcome there are 2 people in 16 rooms". Zippo, all the text boxes are blank. And I was really starting to have fun with chat too.

Sugguestions anyone?

dself40
01-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Missy,
I think its the chat room I went in there a few minutes ago and it did the samething to me.Loaded up but didnt show anything just a bunch of empty boxes...lol..I could type in the box but it wouldnt show up..

Missymonkey
01-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Ah, I see.

thanks

WebSlave
01-17-2004, 11:42 PM
Dang it!

I just went in and restarted the chat engine. It appears to be working again. PLEASE let me know if this happens again. It may be that the new and improved version I went to is just buggy. I did back up the old files so I can go back to it, if I need to.

Sorry.....

Missymonkey
01-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Ok, I still have the boxes and all the stuff that is suppose to be there except for the text. However this time I can see the participants names. I can still types, however once I hit enter it dissapears into internet oblivion.

hm, such a quandry...:confused:

WebSlave
01-18-2004, 04:30 PM
I just logged in there and it is working fine for me. Did you update your browser with Java 2 yet?

Java Upgrade Page (http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp)

Missymonkey
01-18-2004, 04:47 PM
I downloaded it only last week so it should be current.

I just tried chat again and it seems to be working for me again.

Thanks so much,
missy

41mag
01-23-2004, 04:24 PM
i cannot get in again.just the header.is it just me?or is it all the SNOW on top of me?

WebSlave
01-23-2004, 05:08 PM
I had to restart the chat engine again.

I also sent an email to the guy I hired to do some of this admin stuff. He loaded in a different java engine and I have asked him to replace it with the one I was using previously.

I am beginning to get highly irritated.....

Nothing like trying to get interest built up in something and having it flop on its face every couple of days.....

41mag
01-24-2004, 11:13 AM
so i just entered the (empty:)) chat room & a window pops up & tells me i'll be "kicked off for flooding".wth is flooding?

dself40
01-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Jeff I have no clue on the flooding but we was in the chat lastnight and early this morning and it crashed or something it keep kicking us out.Part of the computer world I reckon.And Webslave I am not complaining at all man I love this site and what you do here is awesome everything takes time to perfect!!!

WebSlave
01-24-2004, 01:33 PM
We are trying something with the chat board to see it if temporarily fixes the problem until I can find the install instructions for the other java server module. Every morning at 4 am EST, the chat system will be restarted. The current Java module being used may have a timeout mode that kills idle processess. So yeah, if you are on at 4am, you will get kicked out when the system resets itself.

As far as the "flooding" problem, next time someone gets that message could you cut and paste it for me so I can send it to the developer? Might be a bug in his software or it could be another problem with that java software.

Sorry about the hassles.....

41mag
01-24-2004, 02:33 PM
must be that i flooded myself right out.i cannot get in even to talk to myself anymore.

Hlynn1975
01-24-2004, 07:33 PM
I can't get into the chat either. It loads everything up to the point where it tells me how many people are in the room but it doesn't load the names of the people.

Hlynn1975
01-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Well, the chat room worked for a few days. Now it's not loading the names anymore. And what I type doesn't show up.

WebSlave
01-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Maybe I should just give this all up and go live in a cave with some Tibetan monks. Some place where there isn't a computer for hundreds of miles in any direction.......

JungleHabitats
01-29-2004, 10:53 PM
Would it be possible to room with you on the place ? I am having a mental breakdown myself lol i wish i could just for once send myself via email to the SOB's that sit on there duffs and write virus programs ...

Take a deep breath ... step away from the computer and put down the sledge hammer :smash:

WebSlave
01-30-2004, 12:38 AM
Actually, I'm thinking seriously of taking the .50 caliber out and shoot it some tomorrow to "relax". I was going to shoot up my older computer, but I replaced the power supply and that fixed it. Dammit...... :AR15firin