PDA

View Full Version : Leash Training Crocodilians

Chiappini92
05-13-2012, 02:13 AM
Does anyone out there know how to leash train a crocodilian? You know like the old fashioned times. I really want to get into the exotic pet trade but cant from my home state of Massachusetts. I was thinking about getting a place in Florida and learning how to tame big animals starting with alligators because they seem to be the easiest so I would want to learn if leash training one is wise and still legal. I was also thinking about getting a female dwarf caiman but I heard there pretty nippy. Do people usually tie up the mouths when they take them out for walks?

Le Plat
05-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Yes it can be done, id stick with gattors, but no its not wise.

hadenglock
05-15-2012, 10:16 AM
yes you can put a leash on a crocodilian, no it cant be leash trained, ethically and legally i do not think this is a good idea, nor practical. Dwarf caiman are going to be your best choice if you want a tame crocodilian. they only get roughly 5ft, and most coming in the trade are farm bred. They can be nippy as babies, but pretty much all species crocodilians are. Ive seen dwarf caiman owners be the most successful in keeping a tame crocodilian, mostly because of their smaller size.

Chiappini92
05-15-2012, 04:51 PM
yes you can put a leash on a crocodilian, no it cant be leash trained, ethically and legally i do not think this is a good idea, nor practical. Dwarf caiman are going to be your best choice if you want a tame crocodilian. they only get roughly 5ft, and most coming in the trade are farm bred. They can be nippy as babies, but pretty much all species crocodilians are. Ive seen dwarf caiman owners be the most successful in keeping a tame crocodilian, mostly because of their smaller size.

Well I have seen other videos of owners walking there crocodilians and its actually been a common practice among exotic owners for decades, possibly centuries since the Egyptians kept crocodiles and worshipped them as pets. My question is would a dwarf caiman be alright at Florida temperature? Or will it need extra lighting since its from South America initially. I'm thinking about starting a project where we could make small domestic caimen by selective breeding.

hadenglock
05-15-2012, 06:16 PM
as common a practice it may be, its unethical and dangerous ( not just physcially but society often looks down upon things they do not understand, and with the way the reptile industry is now, its asking for trouble) imo. These animals have been around for millions of years with only instincts to drive them to surivive, the idea of having them being trained to walk on a leash like a dog for a couple of years does not negate their natural behavior. You can keep caiman in florida all year round outside as long as it doesnt drop below 40 you should be fine. If you do start this caiman breeding project be aware that truly domesticating an animal takes hundreds of years (even longer) these are still wild animals your dealing with regardless of how long theyve been in captivity or if they were bred in captivity. You should treat them as such to avoid problems.

BrianC
05-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Get a dog if you want something to take for walks.

Chiappini92
05-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Get a dog if you want something to take for walks.

I just got a dog already. I want to know of more impressive animals I can bring out on a leash, like a South American Caimen.

Le Plat
05-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Short of dwarf crocs, dwarf caiman are the worst options. They do not calm. Gators on the other hand will.

Chiappini92
05-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Short of dwarf crocs, dwarf caiman are the worst options. They do not calm. Gators on the other hand will.
Okay so would my best choice be an American Alligator?

hhmoore
05-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Here's my answer. American Alligators are more likely to be considered "tame"...but their size is prohibitive. Dwarf caimans are a very manageable size, but they lack other "pet" qualities. Spectacled caiman are in the middle.
Now, on to the real issue. If you are talking about leashing a crocodilian inside your facility, that's one thing. Taking it out in public is another; and, frankly, it's a bad idea. I doubt that would be approved under the FL permit, and you may find yourself facing charges and/or paying fines. While some people would think seeing a guy with an alligator on a leash is pretty cool, others would have a far different reaction. Even if nobody says anything, somebody will probably call the police (voice of experience, here - many years ago, I had my permitted alligator out in my backyard...saw nobody around, and still got a visit from the police because they got several phone calls).

Oh, and one more thing.
Keep in mind that if anybody gets injured by your crocodilian while it is leashed, you will likely get sued. People do stupid things, like reach for animals, all the time; so don't think it won't happen. If you tape it's jaws shut, many would consider it cruelty....and argue that if the animal is that dangerous, you shouldn't be dragging it out on a leash (or loose in your facility) in the first place.

hadenglock
05-17-2012, 01:30 PM

they've always calmed down for me, granted they arent dog tame, but what do you expect? The dwarves ive seen would come for food through reward training and could be moved from one area to another with no issues. So maybe im just lucky.

Le Plat
05-18-2012, 08:57 PM
they've always calmed down for me, granted they arent dog tame, but what do you expect? The dwarves ive seen would come for food through reward training and could be moved from one area to another with no issues. So maybe im just lucky.

If ud like to try my girl ur welcome to but she will change ur mind freakin quick.

hadenglock
05-19-2012, 10:03 PM
If ud like to try my girl ur welcome to but she will change ur mind freakin quick.

^ LOL

Methos75
05-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Why is anyone even entertaining rthe TCs question, its obvious from his comment that he wants something more imprssive to walk than a dog, that he is just one of these no account punks who make others look down on us Reptile keepers. Why even acknowledge trash like this? He is no different than the ones who feed kittens to snakes, and post the vids on youtube.

Chiappini92
06-01-2012, 03:50 AM
Why is anyone even entertaining rthe TCs question, its obvious from his comment that he wants something more imprssive to walk than a dog, that he is just one of these no account punks who make others look down on us Reptile keepers. Why even acknowledge trash like this? He is no different than the ones who feed kittens to snakes, and post the vids on youtube.

Why dont you shut the fuck up? For your information I love kittens why do you think I have 3 cats? I worship cats more than I do humans. I have a dog and I love her to death but I need more. I wish to become a Beast Master, like the great Carl Hagenbeck. No one opposed him and his career did they? That was when humans are real, now there all worried about nothing. Seriously all you motherfuckers think im crazy but animals are more than just Beasts and I wish to prove that to the world. The only reason people look down upon reptile keepers is due to all the money you spend on electricity, food, and the animals themselves. Because thats all you humans care about is money and safety and laws and responsibility and all that bullshit. YOU PEOPLE are all trash because you people see them all as heartless creatures that are still wild and dont believe in proper taming or domestication or even true friendship. I would never revert to doing something so barbaric as to feed kittens to snakes and rise above it. Im offended to even be considered one of those people. Im a realist and I wish to combine humans and beats together and live in harmony once again and not have to live these stupid, selfish, and pointless lifestyles.

Methos75
06-01-2012, 04:17 AM
Just so I get this all correct, you want to show that these animals aren't just mindless beast and that we can life in harmony with them by placing on an wild animal that symbol of human subjugation, control, and slavery over them called a leash?

AbsoluteApril
06-01-2012, 11:40 AM
hmm I'm sure you guys can try to express yourself without profanity and attacks on each other right? We are adults?
If you want to continue to fight, take it to PMs.
-April

hadenglock
06-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Why dont you shut the fuck up? For your information I love kittens why do you think I have 3 cats? I worship cats more than I do humans. I have a dog and I love her to death but I need more. I wish to become a Beast Master, like the great Carl Hagenbeck. No one opposed him and his career did they? That was when humans are real, now there all worried about nothing. Seriously all you motherfuckers think im crazy but animals are more than just Beasts and I wish to prove that to the world. The only reason people look down upon reptile keepers is due to all the money you spend on electricity, food, and the animals themselves. Because thats all you humans care about is money and safety and laws and responsibility and all that bullshit. YOU PEOPLE are all trash because you people see them all as heartless creatures that are still wild and dont believe in proper taming or domestication or even true friendship. I would never revert to doing something so barbaric as to feed kittens to snakes and rise above it. Im offended to even be considered one of those people. Im a realist and I wish to combine humans and beats together and live in harmony once again and not have to live these stupid, selfish, and pointless lifestyles.

You're right i do think you're crazy, and youre not doing anybody a favor (animals or humans) by trying to accomplish what you're doing because its impossible. Go away troll

Chiappini92
06-05-2012, 03:31 AM
You're right i do think you're crazy, and youre not doing anybody a favor (animals or humans) by trying to accomplish what you're doing because its impossible. Go away troll

Ya know what? I thought about what you said for a couple of days and I am not a troll. I'm a real human being with a compassionate love for animals. I can see past their nature and see them for what they truly are. What I'm trying to achieve is not impossible and has been done since before humans even kept reptiles underneath lighting and UVB and all that bullshit. Actually if we ever wish to actually domesticate reptiles we should stop spoiling them with lighting and everything and try and make them become healthy at normal temperatures. I know it sounds crazy but it can be done. You think the majority of alligator owners use expensive lighting on their animals? Hell no! They use the natural environment.

Methos75
06-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Ya know what? I thought about what you said for a couple of days and I am not a troll. I'm a real human being with a compassionate love for animals. I can see past their nature and see them for what they truly are. What I'm trying to achieve is not impossible and has been done since before humans even kept reptiles underneath lighting and UVB and all that bullshit. Actually if we ever wish to actually domesticate reptiles we should stop spoiling them with lighting and everything and try and make them become healthy at normal temperatures. I know it sounds crazy but it can be done. You think the majority of alligator owners use expensive lighting on their animals? Hell no! They use the natural environment.

You really just need to stop posting, because its painfully obvious that youy have zero idea what your talking about at all and I for one feel sorry for any Reptile your keeping, sorry enough that if I could find out your info I would forward it to Animal Control or an similar agency. Reptiles are not being spoiled lighting and UVB, and proper heat sources, and so on. These are needed for them to be at optimal health and to survive. It looks as if you know zilch about Reptile Physiology at all, if you did you would not even say such baseless crap. You cannot rewrite Evolution, and "make" them able to live without these things. People for decades tried such cruel nonsense with Turtles, and I the process Millions of them lived short painful lives before dying in agony.

You say you have compassionate love for these Animals, no you don't. If you did, you be trying to replicate their Natural Environment the best you can and giving them proper care. Not trying to force a leash on them, to bend their bodies to your will and trying to get them to live without the vitals they need, and so on. These are not the actions of one who cares for these animals, these are the actions of one who is evil and seeks to do them harm. A Caiman is not meant to be leashed up, Lizards aren't meant to be kept in cold dank prisons without the benefit of basking lights, etc.

Chiappini92
06-06-2012, 02:49 AM
You really just need to stop posting, because its painfully obvious that youy have zero idea what your talking about at all and I for one feel sorry for any Reptile your keeping, sorry enough that if I could find out your info I would forward it to Animal Control or an similar agency. Reptiles are not being spoiled lighting and UVB, and proper heat sources, and so on. These are needed for them to be at optimal health and to survive. It looks as if you know zilch about Reptile Physiology at all, if you did you would not even say such baseless crap. You cannot rewrite Evolution, and "make" them able to live without these things. People for decades tried such cruel nonsense with Turtles, and I the process Millions of them lived short painful lives before dying in agony.

You say you have compassionate love for these Animals, no you don't. If you did, you be trying to replicate their Natural Environment the best you can and giving them proper care. Not trying to force a leash on them, to bend their bodies to your will and trying to get them to live without the vitals they need, and so on. These are not the actions of one who cares for these animals, these are the actions of one who is evil and seeks to do them harm. A Caiman is not meant to be leashed up, Lizards aren't meant to be kept in cold dank prisons without the benefit of basking lights, etc.

Listen I'd shut your fucking mouth if I were you, or else. I'm not in a good state of mind at this point in my life and I'm willing to do drastic things in order to prove my superiority and that includes doing things I simply cant say on this website because I know pussies like you would be afraid of me. I don't just keep any reptiles, I've only had geckos so far. Secondly, ask anyone I know and they'll tell you I love animals way past the point of insanity. Trying to keep them away from me would cause me to do drastic, ugly things that I also could not mention on this website. Now I'm sick of you humans always telling me I cant do shit. It just fuels the beats within me even more. Clearly I have a connection with animals most humans don't. That gives me an advantage right there and I know I cant rewrite evolution but how were we able to domesticate such animals as cats and dogs? Surely there were people who called such selective breeders "crazy" and "stupid" but did that ever stop them? NO as such NO ONE should be able to stop me. If the Russians could tame foxes within 50 years, I can definitely do so with crocodilians and loom up pictures of people keeping them in the olden days. Hell I even have a picture of a little girl riding on a pet alligator from at lest the 50s/60s and guess what she had them on a leash. Ever watch the Magic School Bus when you were a kid? Yeah they had an episode with reptiles, which included a rich woman having one on a leash. I know its possible I've seen it done before in media. If you guys are going to say I'm an asshole and rash me than go ahead and rash me and I'll rash you back even harder. I'm trying to start something great here and humans have to ruin it as usual. Well listen all I have is one thing to say; if you don't have anything nice to say than DON'T say anything at all and leave it at that? Okay? Thank you for your cooperation.

hhmoore
06-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Goodbye.
And if you return from your month away with content like that, you'll be removed again (for much longer).

Methos75
06-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Dude, seriously you had better check yourself. You have no idea who your trying to threaten here, but I'll give you a few clues, my last job for the last decade included the words SF in it, I wore ACU's, jumped from helios, and have personally taken well over 30 lives. Your a fool and just some punk kid, nothing more. Your no one to fear.

hhmoore
06-06-2012, 10:14 AM
People sure do learn slowly around here, sometimes.....

Helenthereef
06-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Like this?

Inret
06-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Dude, seriously you had better check yourself. You have no idea who your trying to threaten here, but I'll give you a few clues, my last job for the last decade included the words SF in it, I wore ACU's, jumped from helios, and have personally taken well over 30 lives. Your a fool and just some punk kid, nothing more. Your no one to fear.

You know, your COC might not want you talking about "well over 30 lives" like that on a public civilian forum on the internet where anyone can see it, especially with your (assumably) real first and last name attached to it. :censored:

I don't own crocs and I doubt I ever will, but someone earlier in the thread mentioned taping jaws shut and I may as well ask since this really isn't enough to start a thread about. Out of sheer curioisity. Is there no other way to keep their jaws together? I know crocs don't really have a head for something like a dog muzzle to work out, but I'm surprised no one has bothered to make an old fashioned "cage" style muzzle work out for them. Or have they? It seems like they would be more comfortable than having tape pulled off their skin. :(

This is all speaking in absolute ignorance though. For all even I'm not thick enough to want to take a croc to the park on a little walk to look cool.

hhmoore
06-14-2012, 03:53 PM
someone earlier in the thread mentioned taping jaws shut and I may as well ask since this really isn't enough to start a thread about. Out of sheer curioisity. Is there no other way to keep their jaws together? I know crocs don't really have a head for something like a dog muzzle to work out, but I'm surprised no one has bothered to make an old fashioned "cage" style muzzle work out for them. Or have they? It seems like they would be more comfortable than having tape pulled off their skin.
Generally, electrical tape is used - it doesn't really stick to the crocodilian, but it sticks to itself - effectively binding the mouth. This is the easiest on, easiest off, and least damaging way to secure their mouths when it is necessary to do so.

allesuberschildkroten
09-05-2013, 05:03 AM
Ever watch the Magic School Bus when you were a kid? Yeah they had an episode with reptiles, which included a rich woman having one on a leash.

Ok I know this is old, but did anyone catch this reference? It just made me laugh and laugh :rofl::rotflmao::laugh:

SobekSerpents
10-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Listen I'd shut your fucking mouth if I were you, or else. I'm not in a good state of mind at this point in my life and I'm willing to do drastic things in order to prove my superiority and that includes doing things I simply cant say on this website because I know pussies like you would be afraid of me. I don't just keep any reptiles, I've only had geckos so far. Secondly, ask anyone I know and they'll tell you I love animals way past the point of insanity. Trying to keep them away from me would cause me to do drastic, ugly things that I also could not mention on this website. Now I'm sick of you humans always telling me I cant do shit. It just fuels the beats within me even more. Clearly I have a connection with animals most humans don't. That gives me an advantage right there and I know I cant rewrite evolution but how were we able to domesticate such animals as cats and dogs? Surely there were people who called such selective breeders "crazy" and "stupid" but did that ever stop them? NO as such NO ONE should be able to stop me. If the Russians could tame foxes within 50 years, I can definitely do so with crocodilians and loom up pictures of people keeping them in the olden days. Hell I even have a picture of a little girl riding on a pet alligator from at lest the 50s/60s and guess what she had them on a leash. Ever watch the Magic School Bus when you were a kid? Yeah they had an episode with reptiles, which included a rich woman having one on a leash. I know its possible I've seen it done before in media. If you guys are going to say I'm an asshole and rash me than go ahead and rash me and I'll rash you back even harder. I'm trying to start something great here and humans have to ruin it as usual. Well listen all I have is one thing to say; if you don't have anything nice to say than DON'T say anything at all and leave it at that? Okay? Thank you for your cooperation.

Was this guy serious? So much funny stuff packed in all that....

Luco
03-29-2019, 05:04 PM
Sorry this is a dead post but I thought I’d add this comment for any fellow/new keepers considering leashing. My family has been keeping crocs since I was young. My father kept an American alligator, he was very “tame” like how most hatchling gators you purchase are for a number of years. I believe after about 3-4 years my dad tried putting a reptile harness on him and from that very moment he never trusted humans again became very defensive.

Brokbakman
03-29-2019, 09:43 PM
Hahaha this can't be real ? This had to be someone playing a joke ��, right ? Did he really reference the magic School bus in his argument. Hahaha made my day.

melanoleuca
03-19-2020, 10:40 AM
Okay so would my best choice be an American Alligator?

Yes definitely. I've reviewed some news stories on alligators being snatched from people in Ohio and the two stories I reviewed they were both tame house pets who were reported by others for mere possession. The one guy called his "Wally Gator" and said it got along well with his dog and cat. He had it for years and bought it as a baby at a reptile show. It was supposedly five foot long but in the picture it looks smaller than that.

The other gator was kept for twenty-five years and was only five feet long.

You can Google the stories.