PDA

View Full Version : Need help with first leopard gecko!

tonebone
01-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Hello, this is my first leopard gecko I have owned. I have had him for about 2 weeks. He is housed in a 10 gallon aquarium, for heat I am using a spot lamp with a 60 watt bulb. He has 2 rocks with holes for hiding in. The heat is maintained at 88-90 during the day and stays at 70-72 at night time. The problem I am having is he is constantly hiding, even at night time he is stayng inside the rock. Wen it is time for him to eat he waits for the crickets to wander inside his hiding spot. The only time he leaves his hiding spot is to poop and drink water. Am I doing something wrong???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lemur_6
01-13-2004, 05:24 PM
Sounds very normal to me. Just give him some time to get used to his new home. Leopard geckos are actually quite adventuresome, he might actually be roaming about and checking out his tank while you're not looking.

Also is the entire tank 70 degrees at night? That's kinda cold IMO, might want to get a heat pad or a infrared lamp to keep the warm side at least 80 deg F.

-Dave

MGReptiles
01-19-2004, 07:37 AM
I second that , get some flexwatt or a heatpad. Try www.beanfarm.com or www.herpsupplies.com . My ambiant room temps never drop below 75 degrees. Also make sure you have a dimmer or thermostat on the heat pad and some thermometers.