PDA

View Full Version : New feature

WebSlave
01-20-2004, 02:01 PM
My programmer implemented some code that will display when there is someone actually in the chat room. It is displayed down at the bottom of the forum home page in the section entitled "Currently Active Users:"

There is a line at the bottom of this section that will display how many users are currently in the chat room whenever this screen is refreshed. This may help somewhat to get people to meet up in there. But bear in mind, it will not catch someone who simply logs in, looks around, and logs back out. You may have to hang out in there for a few minutes so people can notice that there is someone wanting to chat.

I am also checking into getting public events that are posted on the internal calendar here to be displayed somewhere visibly. Several people are talking about setting up scheduled chats on specific topics, so I think the calendar would be a good place to keep track of all this. But it also need to be publicly displayed so a lot more people will become aware of those chats.

I'll let you know how this progresses.

Thanks.

WebSlave
01-21-2004, 10:48 AM
I had to remove that line showing how many people were in the chat room. Sorry. When I went to this new server, the guy doing the move for me loaded in a different java server engine from what I had been using. I believe it is the cause of the intermittent lockups we have been getting there. Unfortunately, with that line I had here on FC, the chat room locking up was affecting display of the forums home page as well. So I have to disable that until I get that java engine problem straightened out.

:bandhead0

NEWReptiles
03-13-2004, 11:50 PM
I hope this feature will be added again down the road if at all possible.

It would be great to see how many people are in there without popping in sometimes.

WebSlave
03-17-2004, 05:19 PM
The chat user display has been re-enabled. It is shown at the bottom of the main page of the forums in the line that displays the number of active users online in the forums.

Hope this helps everyone out to see when someone is in the chat room waiting for company.

Thanks.