PDA

View Full Version : 2004 - where is the future with Leo morphs . . . .

Monte
01-20-2004, 10:41 PM
. . . I've been thinking about this for awhile. Where are some areas in color/design that we haven't gone yet with leos? Here are some that I can think of:

- Blues - RT is supposed coming out with light blue colors
- Tigers - that' s one that I and a few others are working on - line bred traits to bring horizontal connected bands across the backs.
- Tangerine patternless. I think a few have toyed with that.
- Melanistic - I see them being worked on every now and then. I am in the hoping stage, myself, with this project, looking for a good male.
- dwarf. I know this could be a dangerous project, but it would be very neat. I don't know how ethical it might be, though.

Are their any other colors that might be on the horizon? Recessive traits? Just curioius of what other people's opinions are.

Thanks

Golden Gate Geckos
01-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Monte, personally I like your melanistic idea. I would LOVE to see a solid black leo. And don't forget the solid reds!

Intense Herpetoculture
01-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Personally, I've been thinking of ways to create the following:

Orange Blizzards

Black and Orange Banded leopard geckos

Ok, so maybe I don't have too many ideas, but it is a start.

robin d.
01-20-2004, 11:42 PM
im working on a tangerine patternless- i think i have a pretty good start

and working on an orange and black banded leo- my female i have is a great start if only i could find a similar male

ima outcross rainwaters and hopefully make some killer tangs maybe tang stripers...

i am, still wondering what could possibly come out of some unusualy WC leos... maybe that is the key to melanistics i dont know
i was also thinking what about breeding bliz's for more spots being like a dalmation blizz or something
i thikn the idea of a blizz that stays dark would be cool... i mean come on dark and mean??? LOL

what about a red leo with black stripes? hehe
or even an orange leo with solid black stripes

MGReptiles
01-21-2004, 06:42 PM
I like the idea of red with black stripes, that would be awsome. Imagine what the starting prices for those babies would be...

diablohogs
01-21-2004, 08:14 PM
glow in the dark blizzard geckos .
this involves small amounts of plutonium tho...not exactly safe. plus you'd have to hold them under a lamp for a few minutes everytime you wanted to show them off and i doubt they would like that.

another possibility:

Tie Dyed

for this you will need:
1 blizzard leopard gecko
1 easter egg dipper
1 box of food coloring (various colors)
and alot of patients and creativity.

just kidding guys....

E2MacPets
01-23-2004, 05:25 PM
http://www.e2macpets.com/showoff/Ghost.jpghttp://www.e2macpets.com/showoff/Ormond4.jpg

Which of these males should I cross to my blizzard female this year?

Whiter blizzard or orange blizzard? Hmmmm

E2MacPets
01-23-2004, 05:27 PM
http://www.e2macpets.com/showoff/mork1.jpg

Aaronhoare
01-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Heres what i think a cool project would be:

Take thouse dark blizzards that hatch out and get one that stays black (midnight blizzard) breed it to a tremper albino breed the double hets.

Eventually you would get a black blazzing blizzard now thats a mouth ful and would be one killer gecko.

This year Im workin on jungle trempers and patternless albinos mainly

diablohogs
01-23-2004, 08:22 PM
that reverse striped tangerine albino is awesome. im jealous. nice orange on that guy.

as far as a blazing midnight blizzard... not very likely.

dark blizzards are a result of the presence of melanin (black pigment) and an albino is amelanistic which means melanin free. its my belief that all blazing blizzards will be light because of the absence of melanin.

im going to go out on a limb here but i truely believe that blizzards are the true leucistic. but i will start a new thread express my views on this subject very soon after i've gathered enough information to provide a strong enough argument.

robin d.
01-24-2004, 12:09 AM
chad,
i got to agree with you. i also think blizzards are true teusistics..what are patternless??? maybe some vanishing pattern hypo shoot i really dont know but i dont they are true leusistics either

diablohogs
01-28-2004, 11:47 PM
id call them a Blonde phase or Vanishing pattern albino (though the eyes arent red). beats me. but leucism is a skin mutation not a pigment mutation. the fact that they have a marbeled pattern as young shows that they cant be leucistic. unless they are some sort of vanishing pattern leucistic where the mutation becomes stronger as they age.

Lemur_6
01-29-2004, 09:17 AM
I've also noticed that leucistic snakes (texas rats), when compared to albino snakes, seem opaque and milky, while the albinos seem transluscent (especially in babies). Maybe that might help judging what is leucistic and what isn't.

-Dave

1derfool
01-29-2004, 09:21 AM
I've got several blizzards with a black spot or two. I intend to keep some of their spotted offspring as well, dreaming that in time I'll have a black spotted blizzard (Holstein Morph :rotflmao: ) It might give the snow leos a bit of competition.

I did have a striped patternless male who kept his stripes even into adulthood. After a bit of searching I found someone with a similar female and we collaborated on a breeding project. Unfotunately, none of the 3 babies they produced were striped, all normal. Both parents have died since that first breeding season, so there goes that project.

(1derfool, a.k.a. Leopard fan)

KelliH
01-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Here's my spotted blizzard pair. My "dalmations" lol.

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/7spottyblizzards-med.jpg

Golden Gate Geckos
01-29-2004, 12:48 PM
dark blizzards are a result of the presence of melanin (black pigment) I disagree. I call blizzies "mood geckos" because their coloration will vary depending on their mood, temperature, and color of substrate they are kept on. The happier and warmer they are, the lighter their color. Also, if you have one on a dark substrate and put them on white paper towel, in a day or two they will lighten up.

There is a specific name for those black spots (hyperpigmentation) you will find on some of them ... but I can't remember what it is! Any help?

diablohogs
01-29-2004, 01:59 PM
marcia,
so what your saying is you can take the darkest of blizzards... put them on some white paper, warm em up, and somehow coax them into a good mood and they will become white?

true as that may be i feel that what you are seeing when they become dark is either melanin or tyrosine under the skin possibly contracting and expanding under conditions such as mood and temp, however darker blizzrds can only lighten up so much and lighter ones will only darken to a certain degree.

as far as the spots... in kenyan sand boas and western hognose (and im sure others) you have whats called Paradox that typically shows up in albinos. its basically an albino with a few black spots.

for a look at a paradox albino check out the paradox albino hognose that
Chad Fuchs (http://www.cfsnakes.com) has. there pretty neat.

Golden Gate Geckos
01-29-2004, 07:12 PM
That's it! Paradox... that's the term I was looking for! These spots on Blizzards are often referred to as a paradox, too.
so what your saying is you can take the darkest of blizzards... put them on some white paper, warm em up, and somehow coax them into a good mood and they will become white? No. What I said was they will get lighter.
what you are seeing when they become dark is either melanin or tyrosine under the skin possibly contracting and expanding under conditions such as mood and temp If blizzards are truly leucistic, you could assume that they are Tyrosinase-positive, or not able to synthesize melanin, but capable of synthesizing tyrosinase which results in lavender-brown skin color. We know that blizzards have melanin in their eyes, but it is debatable whether they have it in their skin. however darker blizzrds can only lighten up so much and lighter ones will only darken to a certain degree This may be generally true, but mine will go from a grey-brown to almost white, and back again.

diablohogs
01-29-2004, 07:48 PM
This may be generally true, but mine will go from a grey-brown to almost white, and back again.

i wonder if this remains true when you add albinism into it and make it a Blazing Blizzard.

Golden Gate Geckos
01-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Sounds like a good experiment for 'where is the future with Leo morphs....

diablohogs
01-30-2004, 05:23 PM
I have an idea.... cross a tremper with a bell...breed the hets together and hopefully you will produce a double albino. Now outcross the double albino to a rainwater. Once again you will cross the offspring and hopefully produce a triple albino (triple mutation, that’s a lot of hope). This will make for one truly compatible albino. When you’re finished post a picture. Thanks.

Lemur_6
01-30-2004, 07:52 PM
I'd like to see a lavender gecko (mostly lavender, a little yellow maybe, and dark indigo/black spots). Could probably be possible through selective breeding, but could also take quite a while.

-Dave

KelliH
01-30-2004, 08:40 PM
That is a cool idea about creating the "triple albinos" and I thought about doing that a few years ago when I first got the Bells, but.. I thought it may be realy hard to tell which ones were Bell/Rainwaters, Bell/Trempers, etc... Though I guess you won't know til ya try :-)

E2MacPets
01-30-2004, 08:56 PM
http://www.e2macpets.com/showoff/contrast.jpg

Golden Gate Geckos
01-30-2004, 09:39 PM
Steve, these are beautiful geckos! Can you tell us about them?

E2MacPets
01-30-2004, 10:14 PM
The male is 2 years old from HighQualityReptiles from their red stripe bloodline and has never been bred.

The female is a Blizzard (unproven "banana") from VMS Herp and she is 3 years old and a proven breeder (last year she was bred to a bell albino).

I'm hoping for some very interesting results from this cross.

I'm going to have to get better pictures in quality lighting, both animals are very faded out in this picture. The blizzard is actually in one of her dark phase moods but its hard to tell.

martyc33
01-30-2004, 11:20 PM
Triple albinos sounds good, but why stop there. You could produce the 'super male' A giant patternless triple albino blizzard gecko. Now that would be something I would love to see! I think it would take someone about 20 years to create.

diablohogs
01-31-2004, 05:57 PM
a banana blizzard is a cross of a patternless and a blizzard right (double homozygous)? or is it like a chocolate albino? just a normal blizzard with a yellow tint?

E2MacPets
01-31-2004, 11:40 PM
That's another topic that's up for debate. Originally it did refer to double homozygous patternless blizzard, but it quickly became a catchall for yellow blizzards.

RogerProws
02-17-2004, 08:11 PM
I think we will see multiple triple recessive geckos with in five years.

diablohogs
02-17-2004, 08:17 PM
do you mean triple homozygous? 3 reccesive genes all showing at the same time?

RogerProws
02-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Ya, I know what I meant! :D