PDA

View Full Version : blood python not eating...

debsreprescue
01-21-2004, 03:53 PM
I have a WC blood python, was supposed to be a CB but there's NO WAY this is a captive born. He's very mean, which I know is normal, but he's also skinny and looks like he has some small puncture wounds from removing ticks. He will not eat f/t, won't even strike at them. He has eaten a small live fuzzy once but he's too big for that to be a meal. I've had him for about 2 months now and I'm getting worried. I have plenty of experience in force-feeding (have a reptile rescue) but I've heard that grabbing a blood by the neck makes them madder than normal. I've tried all the methods that I know of...feeding in a bag, dangling outside his hide box, etc,etc. Does anyone have any new ideas on how to feed a stubborn snake? Has anyone force-fed a blood before? Oh, and before anyone asks about his cage....he's in a 20 gallon long tank, with Bed-A-Beast as substrate. He's got a container with spagnum moss in it. He's got a large water dish. Temp. in reptile room is usually around 85ish. He's got plenty of places to hide and plus I have him covered up with a towel for added security. Humidity is around 60 to 70%. Another thing, I can't return him to the breeder, I've had some major problems with them so I've just given up. (They're mentioned quite a bit on the BOI for being bad, but that was AFTER I dealt with them) Sooo, anybody have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks in advance...Debbie

georgek
04-26-2004, 01:13 AM
Hi Debbie, I posted a reply on a simular ques. above. Have you tried feeding live food in the dark with maybe just a moon glow type lighting and staying back so the snake dosent know your around. This worked for me. Hope it helps.

George Ketner

debsreprescue
04-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Hi George: Thanks for the idea, I'll give it a try. He is eating sometimes, only live. But he still looks too skinny so I'll try your idea tonight. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again...Debbie

snakekid13
05-05-2004, 09:54 PM
have u tried thawing the mouse then dipping in hot water then after that u can shake it in front of him or put him in a small container and let him sit their for about 20 minutes it worked for my baby blood python. Or i've heard that senting the mouse with anoles works with wc snakes sometimes i hoped i helped good luck.

crazyscrewball
06-14-2004, 08:45 AM
i have two large wild caught bloods.

youre correct. dont grab those suckers by the neck or you'll have them spewing waste all over the place. uncontrollable flailing bodies as well. definitely a bad idea.

as for feeding, i used to throw a sheet over the cage for extra security. had them for a year and a half now and have yet to see them eat. if anyone is around, they wont acknowledge anything. throw a towel over the cage and stick them in a closet and check back in an hour.

good luck :)