PDA

View Full Version : Mealworm dish vs. dropping mealworms, comparative feeding response/rates

Lemur_6
01-23-2004, 01:38 AM
So do you see a difference between feeding mealworms from a dish and dropping the mealworms in front of the leos during feeding time (or any food item for that matter)?

I used to drop feed my gecko and he used to eat 6-7 mealworms in a matter of 15 min, and since I've switched to a mealworm dish he's only eating 4 a day over a 4 hour period. Anyone else notice this kind of a trend?

Also is that too little/too much/just about right for a 13 gram gecko (I'm too used to having 50 gram geckos around that eat through a can of mealworms without batting an eye)? I posted pictures of him a few days ago (mr. ripples), and you can see he's got a pretty hefty tail for a little guy.

-Dave

Golden Gate Geckos
01-23-2004, 03:35 PM
I have used the drop method with both mealworms and pinkies, but usually once the geckos learn what mealworms are, most of mine will 'belly-up' to the bowl and chow down! I honestly think it depends on a few things... how well they see, how strong their preditory instincts are, and how hungry they are. I find that after awhile in the bowl the mealies stop moving, and the geckos get bored. Also, I think that the calcium powder in the dish smothers the worms to death sometimes, making them unappealing food items.