PDA

View Full Version : Starter Chameleon

Glenn Bartley
02-10-2004, 09:45 PM
I can use some help here. A friend of mine I work with has been wanting to get a chameleon. He has some experience with pets but I don't think any with herps. His wife just called me and asked about getting him one for his birthday which is off over a month away. I told her I would do some checking, and am hopeful you guys can help out.

I am interested to find an easier to care for, mid-sized to larger (not huge) chameleon for them. Note I did not say a simple to care for chameleon but if there is such a beast that would be a plus. Nor did I say EASY to care for, but if there is one that is also a plus. I am certain the gent in question will take meticulous care of it, and I want to make sure he starts off in the right direction with my help. In fact his wife is checking now so as to have the whole set-up ready to go before his birthday. I am going to suggest she gets him a set-up and a good book first, and wait until the book has been read before buying the lizard; but if they cannot wait I will help them out with care info. Once you clue me in to the easier kept species, I will research their captive care and pass all the info on to my friend's wife to help her make a decison as to whether or not to buy one.

I don't now all that much about the different species of Chameleons but was thinking about a Veiled or a Jackson's; but I will defer to those who know better.

She still remembers the Hissing Roaches I gave them for a wedding gift, and all the babies they had! She said she owes me for that one, now maybe I can soften her revenge on me a bit by getting her some good info on chameleons!

Any help is appeciated.

Thanks,
Glenn B;)

Dingo
02-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Hi Glenn,

You are absolutely right in your speculation, there is no easy chameleon. The hardiest beginner species, IMO, is the vieled. Veileds can handle a little more temp and humidity fluctuation than other sp. They tend to be hardier feeders as well.

I would agree with your gut feeling on giving him the cage and book/info for his b-day, and waiting until he has done the rather lengthy research before purchasing the cham. That will allow him plenty of time to get the bugs (temp. adj., etc.) worked out of his settup and learn the valuable care info needed to get him off to a good start. Even veileds can decline within a week if not properly cared for. Vieleds are always available, so finding them when the time is right, is not a problem.

Let me know if you need any links for info or if you come across any specific questions you need answering.

Glenn Bartley
02-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks