PDA

View Full Version : check out this fat toad i caught

ArachnidFiend
02-18-2004, 04:36 AM
got this girl last summer, she was chlling out side my proch in the same spot for 2 days, i took her in the house and setup a tank, after looking at her for a while i was ah well i should just let you go... so i place her back where she was a 2 more days later still in the same spot, so i just kept her, been feeding her roaches, crickets, mealworms, grasshoppers, pinkies, one of the coolest frogs i've owned, really simple to care for also, this summer i will also be catchin a few H. versicolor for a terraium i'm setting up(i seen around 30 last fall), meet fatty my Bufo americanus(i think?)

ArachnidFiend
02-18-2004, 04:39 AM
ever since i got her my intrest in toads has gone sky high, i plan on getting a few cane toads and roccoco whn i get the chance..

ArachnidFiend
02-18-2004, 04:42 AM
maybe i can find her a mate this summer i would just relese the babyes anyhow, it would be something fun to do, not far from my house is a huge pond full of tadpoles in the spring not sure what type they are but i'll find out after i catch a few to grow...

zebeck
04-01-2004, 06:29 AM
Cool pics.
Toads are among the most underappreciated of all herps i think.
Have you ever seen exsul or or debilis up close?
Very beautiful indeed.

Wait till you get your hands on a colorado river toad!
That's an awesome beast!
(and no i don't mean awesome for any reasons other than how it looks and acts ; ) )

sparkielee
04-24-2004, 03:09 PM
When I showed the maintenance man of my building an adult sized African dwarf clawed frog I had at the time he asked me "Would you like a toad?" I said "Sure" since I always wanted a pet toad.

He said he had some friends who had those dull brown or green toads that live on Northern Indiana soil. He said people were accidently running over them with their cars and he'd ask if he could grab me a couple. They said "Take as many as you want!"

By the time I had a chance to set up a terrarium for them he wasn't speaking to them for a while.

Now that I have 5 firebelly toads in a tank he said he's on good terms with them and will get me the toads. As colorful as the firebellies are, I plan on making some separate tank space for the Indiana toads. I'd love to have something native in my apartment as well as my more exotic pals.

I think toads are cute!:poke2:

Terry48
04-24-2004, 07:41 PM
That’s a big American Toad. I can't tell a lot about it from the pic. What state did you find it in?
My favorite is the Colorado River toad, also. I'm posting a pic of some I used to have. I haven't been able to replace them because they're hard to find for sale and cost too much is you do find them. We can thank the "junkie" for that.
Terry

names_ash
06-01-2004, 12:54 PM
what the hell are they eating?

Terry48
06-01-2004, 07:09 PM
They are eating an dry food that I make for insectivores. Just start out with some meal worms in the bowl till they realize that it's food.
Terry

names_ash
06-03-2004, 09:10 AM
thats something else... why dont you tell me more about this food

elago
06-03-2004, 10:23 AM
It's not a frog, but check out this FAT Bullfrog I picked up the other day!-Eric Lago *MS Reptilian Hobbyists*
http://msreptilianhobbyists.fabpage.com

snakester
08-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by ArachnidFiend
got this girl last summer, she was chlling out side my proch in the same spot for 2 days, i took her in the house and setup a tank, after looking at her for a while i was ah well i should just let you go... so i place her back where she was a 2 more days later still in the same spot, so i just kept her, been feeding her roaches, crickets, mealworms, grasshoppers, pinkies, one of the coolest frogs i've owned, really simple to care for also, this summer i will also be catchin a few H. versicolor for a terraium i'm setting up(i seen around 30 last fall), meet fatty my Bufo americanus(i think?)

I think what you have is a Cane toad!!! take a look.

Cane Toad 1 (http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/canetoad.htm)

Cane toad 2 (http://www.fdrproject.org/pages/toads.htm)