PDA

View Full Version : cold

jenn
02-22-2004, 10:31 AM
my savannah has a cold. i elivated his temps a little and moved his cage away from an outside wall. is there anything else i should do?

meretseger
02-22-2004, 01:38 PM
What are his symptoms? If it gets serious he may need a vet to help fight it off.

Erin B.

jenn
02-22-2004, 03:18 PM
he isn't eating as much as he normally does. he's sleeping a lot more than normal. i picked him up yesterday and this morning a mucas came out of his nose and mouth. he sneezes every so often.
the problem is if i need a vet i'm in big trouble. we do not have an exotic vet in my area.

pouncethecat
10-10-2004, 03:22 AM
Some people may not agree with me,but i have a savanna monitor and he got sick too,plus had mouth rot on top of it,i got him this way from my step daighter that didnt take very good care of him,any ways i was in the same situation,no vets near by that would see him.What i did for him was i gave him some antibiotic's,which you can easy buy from your pet store,the name of it is called Aqua-Mox they come in a capsule form and its for fish tanks.What i did was give him a half of a capsule mix in with his food every other day for a week,i used my own judgment.But he's cold went away and he got better.And i got rid of his mouth rot he had gotten also by cleaning out his mouth twice aday with deluted mouth washed.It might be worth a try if you can not afford to take him to a vet right away.Good luck!.

jenn
10-10-2004, 11:32 PM
Thank you for the info! I will keep that in mind if he ever gets sick again. Hopefully he won't!!!!!! ;)

meretseger
10-16-2004, 02:32 PM
I really wouldn't recommend those fish antibiotics. God knows what's in them or what the dosage is. And if you don't know what kind of bacteria you're fighting you're wasting money and giving your animal a useless medicine. The mouthwash thing probably is ok, though, but I'd use betadine personally.

Erin B.

pouncethecat
10-16-2004, 05:36 PM
No.I was giving her a simple solution because she said she couldnt afford a vet,and instead of letting her lizzard suffer,it would be worth a try,it curded my guy from his cold,and alot cheaper then if i had to take to a vet,which i couldnt afford at the time.And i called a vet also about giving him theses AQUA-MOX Capsules,which is a amoxicillin therapy,she told me it might work for him and might not,depending on which bacteria infection he had.Any ways it was something to try instead of doing nothing.And the dose i gave him was half of a 250MG. capule,every other day,for a week.And the only ingredients in them are 250mg amoxicillin per capsules.And the vet told me also what to do for his mouth rot he had at the same time,rinse there mouth out twice daily with deluted mouth wash or deluted hydrogen peroxide solution and water,he also got rid of his mouth rot within a week.My monitor is doing so good now,when i got him a few months back he was no bigger then my hand,now he is around 2ft long and fat,i got him on tegue monitor food now and he loves it.

jenn
10-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Wait a min. I never said i couldn't afford to take him to the vet, I said that i didn't have one in my area. Second of all i took on a 30 min drive to a vet and had him checked out. He was fine, i just had to move his cage away from on outside wall and elevate his temps. Which i did before i took him to a vet.
I WILL go without anything and i mean anything to make sure my animals are healthy! I took on that responsibality the day i brought home any of my animals. It's called be a good owner!!
I am happy to say he is very healthy and is going to be a year this comming friday!