PDA

View Full Version : Ball Python Rack System Question

bayondai
02-24-2004, 11:38 AM
I am going to making a rack system for my ball pythons and was wondering if you have to use Melamine or if you could just use regular plywood like oak or maple or whatever?
Thanks,
Mike

Quammee
02-24-2004, 04:35 PM
The melamine helps to keep the moisture out of the wood. With the condensation off the water dishes and the heat tape running, the moisture will start to warp the wood unless it's protected.

Anita

Quammee
02-24-2004, 04:43 PM
The melamine also helps to keep the heat and humidity up.

bayondai
02-24-2004, 06:12 PM
That makes sence. Thanks for the help.
Mike

CornNut
02-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Although people with large collections in racks often use lidless systems (which expose the rack to high humidity) to save time during maintenance there are some of us with moderate sized collections that build our racks to accommodate the sweater box lids. The advantage is that the lid comes in contact with the snake and cage conditions and also that you can pull a box out without having to worry about the snake escaping immediately. The down side is that you spend extra time opening and closing lids every time you need to clean or even check on your snakes.

CornNut
02-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Oh, yes, my point ...

If your collection is small enough that you can live with the extra time of opening boxes then you can build your rack to size for boxes with lids and out of most anything. I have one of particleboard, one of melamine, and am about to build one with hollow core doors that should be much lighter than the other two.

bigdee
03-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Im looking to build a rack for my balls soon also do any of you have pics of your racks. True with the lids you can use anything but it would take time taking tubs out and lids off, as far as snake escaping I figure I can just slowly pull the tub out just like I would have to slowly open the lid so I think I would like the lidless. Im trying to avoid malemine as much as I can because of the weight.

NEWReptiles
03-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Here are the bins we use.

Hatchling size, 6" x 10"
Juvis bin size, 8" x 16"
Young adults, 16" x 24"
Breeder girls, 16" x 34"

bigdee
03-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Al the links are not woking

NEWReptiles
03-15-2005, 05:17 PM
This new pic setup is a pain in the A55.....

The first pic is our juvi rack,
2nd is young adults/males
3rd is the breeder size
4th is the hatchling rack

NEWReptiles
03-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Also, all of our racks(excapt the hatchling rack) are now built out of 5/8 HDPE. The plastic holds up alot better and is easier to clean.

We have used mela in the past, but after a couple years the laminate started coming off and the wood expanded from the condensation.

shrap
03-15-2005, 05:51 PM
This new pic setup is a pain in the A55.....

The first pic is our juvi rack,
2nd is young adults/males
3rd is the breeder size
4th is the hatchling rack

Al,

What is that substrate you are using in your young adult and adult racks? I have been using Aspen for years. I have tried countless others, but always come back to the Aspen, even though I am not completely happy with it. Any added info on why you like it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

NEWReptiles
03-15-2005, 06:01 PM
We use carefresh in all of our bigger ball bins.

Its very easy to spot clean, shows feces and urates well, holds decent humidity, and does not seem to cause any inpaction issues. We have atleast 1 or 2 animals eat some every month, and we have seen no ill affects after using it for 4 years.

NEWReptiles
03-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Oops, I did forget to add the biggest downfall. If you don't keep the urine/feces cleaned up in a timely fashion this stuff will mold. We check our bins every day and have had no problems.

As long as you take decent care of the animals the mold should not be an issue. We have only seen it a few times after we went away for the weekend and came home to a soiled bin.

shrap
03-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks Al, I appreciate it. I will have to give it a test run. Keeping it clean is not an issue, I am in my racks and enclosures daily.

NEWReptiles
03-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Keeping it clean is not an issue, I am in my racks and enclosures daily.

Same here, at times I'm amazed they even breed when my face is in there five times a day.

vinnybocknyg
06-08-2006, 11:22 PM
very nice!! i do have a very small collection though ill think of sumthin