PDA

View Full Version : viper boas???

bytheshore1
03-02-2004, 07:55 AM
these were sold to me as viper boas. but i have been informed from the classified section that they are of the candaoi mamily but not vipers.they are very calm and love the water.

bytheshore1
03-02-2004, 07:56 AM
some of the babies

bytheshore1
03-02-2004, 07:59 AM
these are better pics of the juvies

bytheshore1
03-02-2004, 08:01 AM
this is an older females belly

bytheshore1
03-02-2004, 08:05 AM
i more pic

diablos
03-03-2004, 01:31 AM
I dont think those are viper boas!they look like solomon island tree boas to me..or canadoias...i included a pic of our girl for you to compare.

bytheshore1
03-03-2004, 07:02 AM
that does look a lot like my group. how does their bellies compare? i have 2 pics posted where you xan see the pattern. thanks, tim

diablos
03-03-2004, 04:02 PM
The bellys are exctaly the same..i will try to post a pic of our girls stomach later so you can compare also..but yea,i do beleive you got some solomons there.i meen beleive or not the vipers and the solomons are from the same family,Candoia..but obviously there looks are quite diffrent.and atttitudes.the vipers are more shy and can be alittle cage difensive,while the solomons are pretty peiceful and very docile.

bytheshore1
03-04-2004, 06:26 AM
the guy who sold them to me told me to ga to silver city reptiles site and compare. their pictures of viper boas look very simialar to mine. the heads are narrow and shovel shaped as in the pics. i was starting to think i had tree boas but now i am still not sure.

herpetological
03-04-2004, 10:11 AM
These are Candoia Bibroni not Candoia Asper. The biggest Aspers (Viper Boas) are about 26" and very heavy in girth.(Most of the times big ones are females) Hope that helps.

Ed Holder
03-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Those are juvenile Candoia. c. paulsoni (Solomon Isle ground boas) I keep them as well, Fun lil snakes to keep.
Vipers are usually a little more stout with alot more red and not quite the heavy pattern of the Solomons'.

Nice addittion!

Ed Holder

bytheshore1
03-10-2004, 05:47 PM
i have had others tell me they are solomon island tree boas as well. thanks for your info. i know its hard to tell by pictures. i hear the colors and patterns on all 3 can varie somewhat. anybody else got any comments? thanks, tim

Seamus Haley
03-10-2004, 06:41 PM
For what it's worth, judging solely by the photos which have been posted, I'm inclined to agree with those who believe the animals to be Solomon Island Ground boas...

They're very obviously not vipers, the length and girth are clear indicators of that.

Solomon Island Tree boas tend to have longer skulls... your snakes are nowhere near as sharp and blunt as an aspera, but the skull structure isn't *quite* what you usually see with truly arboreal candoia.

Just curious now... do you know how to do a scale count?

bytheshore1
03-10-2004, 07:23 PM
MAYBE YOU COULD WALK ME THRU IT.

sigbboy
04-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Tim There are differences in the scale patterns between the tree and ground boas. On the ground boas, there is only one row of scales between the mouth and the bottom of the eye. On the tree boas there is another row of scales between the mouth and bottom of the eye. The vipers scale pattern is the same as the tree boas. These are definately not Vipers. The tree boas seem to have a slightly more rounded nose than the ground and vipers. I hope this helps Randy
http:groups.yahoo.com/group/pacificislandboas

bytheshore1
04-07-2004, 11:35 PM
they have 1 row of scales seperating the eye and mouth, so i guess we have ground boas. thanks alot, tim

sigbboy
04-08-2004, 05:49 AM
Tim Glad I could be of some help. These Boas have so little mainstreem information on them its frustrating. On my Yahoo group in the file section I have listed a lot of text on these Boas. I hate to think how many hours I have in researching them. I know there is more info so I will keep digging for it. Oh yeah, very neat looking Ground Boas Randy