PDA

View Full Version : Text got bigger?

WebSlave
03-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Is it just my mind going, or did the text get bigger on this site? Not only that, but I see the same thing on CornSnakes.com and ArmsLocker.com. All three are vBulletin systems running on my server. Yet I look at other vBulletin sites other people are running and they look normal to me.

On top of that NOTHING else is changed, otherwise I would think my browser just went berserk.

I'm not sure whether I hope no one else is seeing this problem or not.....

Sybella
03-02-2004, 03:31 PM
LOL!! We just had a discussion about something like this on one of the forums I moderate, where one of the girls thought she had messed up someone else's website until she realized that it was HER computer settings! LOL! The font size or anything else here hasn't changed for me...It's probably one of your computer settings, Rich. ;)

WebSlave
03-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Yeah, that sounds most logical, but WHY it is only affecting my three vBulletin sites is pretty darned wierd.

I haven't installed any new software recently, so I would expect that if I installed something that monkeyed around with the font set in Windows.

Like I don't have enough things to think about right now....

Sybella
03-02-2004, 05:05 PM
I don't know...maybe vbulletin uses some programming/script that other sites do not. Did you check out the web standards page? There are Windows upgrades you can get for this...maybe one of your files...wait! Did you get Donel's virus??? LOL!

Glenn Bartley
03-11-2004, 11:51 PM
You only just noticed the increase in text size????? I thought my PC had screwed up months ago when the text size suddenly seemed to blossom into gargantuan size. I kind of like it because my eyes are not what they once were, darned middle age. Come to notice, the text I am now typing is normal - about 12pt size, but when I hit enter it will appear about 1.5 times that size.

Another thing I have noticed and this is truly annoying is that when I view some pages on this site, they appear as a full page from left to right across my monitor; however, when viewing other pages I get only about 3/4 of the page across the monitor from leftt o right and have to scroll right to see the remainder. If you remind me how to do a screen shot, I will cut and paste examples here. I know I have to hit print screen to copy the page, but how I get it to paste to a reply in a thread like this is beyond me.

Thanks
Glenn B

Sybella
03-12-2004, 12:26 AM
Hmm...the only time I have to scroll right and left is when someone posts and image and makes the message field bigger than it should be. However, I always keep my favorites list open on my browser so if I close that while I'm on a page that has images in the post, everything does fit.

WebSlave
03-12-2004, 01:59 AM
The problem turned out to be that somehow I had selected a larger text size in my browser. (view->text size->larger - from the drop down menu). Of course, I had other browser instances already running with other sites on them, so it appeared that the problem was ONLY with this site.

Glenn, you may want to check the same thing. I have NOT changed the text size on this site at all since the beginning.

Sybella
03-12-2004, 11:51 AM
I'm glad you figured it out, Rich. ;)

Glenn Bartley
03-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Well, I checked the text size and it was set to large so I reset it to medium. That did not work so I contacted AOL. They had me clear my temporary internet files, and that did not work. Then they had me clear my high speed cache, and that did not work. Then they told me to shut down the PC and start it back up. Well after rebooting, I could not sign onto AOL, I had to delete my latest version, and reinstall it.

Now the font size is normal, but guess what, I still have to scroll right to see all of the page, although I certainly can see much more of it now. Now all that goes off the screen (the particular one I am typing on right now) is the advertisement at the right side of the page. I can see about 3/4 of it without having to scroll right. Oh well, at least this is an improvement......

All the best,
GB;)

Seamus Haley
03-12-2004, 02:05 PM
The AOL Tech support people have their heads up their butts. They simply have a list of troubleshooting tips that has nothing whatsoever to do with a specific problem... They don't enter keywords or look up your trouble, they just start at the same step one no matter what's going on. Load up the help menu or call the tech support and report imaginary problems sometime, the answers are always identical.

The AOL browser has a lot of issues too... AOL has a lot of junk at the top of the screen and the default size for opening windows is thinner than most browsers... It doesn't open from the edge of your screen to the edge of your screen, it opens in the center with the edges clear. Both of these factors can often produce funny effects, especially on webpages which have graphics to one side or the other.

Then on top of that, AOL usually automatically changes some of your internet settings- such as your homepage, default mail or newsgroup viewing program and graphics compression... It can all be put back where it should be but it's a major pain.

When I have my AOL running rather than Earthlink, I usually use IE as a web browser rather than loading pages inside AOL. It's smooth, simple, loads things the way I want them to be loaded and doesn't screw around with graphics or force me to scroll all over the place. The AOL Popup blocker does work though (Somehow they got something right)... the Earthlink one doesn't for most sites... Only time I really use the AOL browser is when I'm going to a site which I know will fill my screen with ads.

Glenn Bartley
03-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Yes I do agree that AOL can be a pain in the butt, I guess I am too lazy to change to another provider. AOL does have some ok points, I just cannot remember what they are right now. Really their service has been fairly good, not many problems and that pop-up blocker sure does work. My kids like it, but I am considering trying Earthlink. I should be getting a new PC by the summer, maybe I will have them package Earthlink with it to try it out. One of these days maybe I'll grow up and go for an adult ISP. For now, like I said, I am too lazy to change.

I will try using the internet explorer to sign onto this site to view the pages. I was thinking of trying that. I know that if I sign onto my AOL mail through internet explorer any links in my emails work when I click on them; however if I sign onto my AOL mail by first going through AOL directly, well those links don't work, heck they don't even show as links (blue underlined print) just as web addresses (black print). AOL does have its quirks that is for sure.

All the best,
GB;)

sumguy
03-13-2004, 04:53 AM
same problem as Sybella - the only time I don't get the whole screen is when someone posts a pic that is too wide.

Glenn - haven't used AOL since '95 but you may want to check your read options for AOL mail. In Outlook Express, I can choose to read messages in plain text although this still lets me access hyperlinks. It won't show pictures or run embedded code. Just a thought.