PDA

View Full Version : Everyone,BEWARE!,Some idiot is sending out viruses!

Donel
03-02-2004, 01:56 PM
Hi everyone,just another heads up on the virus thing.I have recieved 3 in 3 days.All have come from reptile people,so it has to be someone who views this site.And apparently,they can use someone elses email adress to show up as the sender.I just got a returned email today,that had a virus that I didn't even send.So these jerk offs apparently sent one to someone in my name and it was returned to me.So I wouldn't open any attachments unless you are expecting an email from a certain Reptile person.Hope this helps,would be nice to nail these F-cks! Peace Out!

Rob @ RK Reptiles
03-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Donel,

You are lucky that you have only received 3 in 3 days. I have been receiving (on average) 13 an hour for the last week or so.

Double "D" Reptiles
03-02-2004, 02:24 PM
I got one last night that was caught by Norton Anti-virus that listed as a returned/undeliverable mail from Rob at RK. Just keep updating the virus program and the firewall and pray that I keep clean. Looking into doubling up on both to see if anything is slipping through holes. Worse than this though, was that just after I installed the firewall, it caught an attempted hack on my system that originted in Korea using a backdoor/subseven trojan horse. I'd have never known if the firewall program hadn't stopped it dead in it's tracks and alerted me. Had never run behind a firewall before and now wonder just what had been going on without my knowledge. Things like this never cease to amaze me.

David

Donel
03-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Hey Guys,Well I have a buddy who is a computer genius,he is used to tracking down people on the internet for fraud and so forth.I am going to talk to him and see if it's possible for him to nail these A-holes.In the meantime I guess just stay on top of the antivirus.Good luck!

sputnik
03-02-2004, 02:34 PM
I have also received returned emails stating I sent someone a virus, even though I never emailed the person that the return came from.

This along with all our personal info being hackable, makes you wanna start keeping cash in a can under the house again and go back to pen and paper for all business/personal related matters.

It just seems that the "BAD" guys are getting better and better at using the electronic world to further their criminal lives. It is after all, the fastest growing area of crime!

That and the usual email from Nigeria keeps the process of checking your email an interesting experience!

Brian Oakley
03-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Who says there is anyone to 'nail'?
Viruses work in many different ways. This one in particular could be infecting email address books and getting through to everyone that way! I received MANY over the last few days, but that does not mean they even know it is happening.

sputnik
03-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Who says there is anyone to 'nail'?

The creator is who I think Donel is after.

Donel
03-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Scott,sorry,but I'm not too up on all this computer jazz or lingo!LOL! But I'll talk to my buddy,he is more up on the computer world.

sputnik
03-02-2004, 02:57 PM
I am not a computer geek either, without that morning cup of coffee I can't even switch this thing on! LOL

One thing you can be sure on is a virus has a creator!

Rob @ RK Reptiles
03-02-2004, 03:06 PM
I have been receiving ones that say they are from me as well as many different names at my domain. Thank goodness for Norton and my router.

Bci Joe
03-02-2004, 03:20 PM
I have also been receiving these and receiving undeliverables sent from my own address as well.

Thank goodness my firewalls/anti-virus etc has been catching them...
I try to delete unknown email without even opening it...

To all, just be carefull, as i'm sure we are all trying to do.

If I email anyone, the subject line will be clearly detailed. if it is not, PLEASE do NOT open.

Thanks guys - Joe - BciJoe

Ken Harbart
03-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
The creator is who I think Donel is after.
If the FBI and various international law enforcement agencies aren't having much success in tracking the person down, I doubt a private individual will be able to.

The simple fact of the matter is that these mass mailing worms generally aren't sent to you by the person in the "from" field. Odds are that that person's computer isn't even infected.

Many of these worms scour a hard drive for any email addresses that they can send themselves too. This includes addresses on web pages stored in the temporary internet folder of the infected machine. The worm, which often uses its own smtp server, sends itself to the found addresses, using one of them as the "from" address.

It's a simplified explanation, but hopefully you get the idea.