PDA

View Full Version : What is the Best Digital Scale??????

finsnthings
03-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Hi All I need some help, I need to get a scale to be able to weigh my reptiles and was needing some advice on which scale would be the best to purchase? I have Bearded Dragons and Leopard Geckos, also a snake.

Thanks Tori

Clay Davenport
03-06-2004, 01:35 AM
I use My Weigh scales, at least I think that's the correct brand name. At any rate they are a great scale and a teriffic value.
I priced scales for a good while and everything that measured to the amount I needed in the small increments I wanted was running 2-300 dollars.

I started with the 6001T model, which is a 6000 gram scale in 1 gram increments, excellent for a wide variety of needs.
I then wanted an additional scale for hatchlings that was more precise. I bought an i250 from Dan at Scales. It's a 250 gram scale in 0.1 gram increments, perfect for even hatchling hognose snakes and children's pythons which weigh in at less than 10 grams at birth.
A full gram is alot to a 10 gram animal, whereas it makes little difference to a 1000 gram ball python.

If you can only afford one scale, I'd go with the 6000 since it's useful for a wider variety of animals, especially checking if females are of adequate weight to breed.
The 250 was more for my own internal data collection to monitor the growth rate of various groups of reptiles I am raising as a side interest.

There is also a 3000 gram model, which is cheaper than the 6000. I'd put out the extra 20 bucks for the 6000 though, all other features are the same but the 6000 has twice the capacity.

Here's a link to Dan's site. I was very pleased with the buisness I did with him.
http://www.exoticlizards.com/digital-scales.html