PDA

View Full Version : I want to get into cresteds..

All4Sky
03-11-2004, 02:29 AM
Hello everyone, I've been keeping leopard geckos for a long time now and I want to get into another type of gecko and I'm trying to decide whether or not to get into crested's or not. From all the care sheets and information I've been able to gather so far, it looks to be a good decision. I like the fact that they won't need any additional heat source if the room temp is about 80 degrees, which is perfect for my climate here in Southern CA. Is there anything else I should know? Maybe some tricks of the trade that don't show up in the caresheets? I'm going to the IRBA show in 2 weeks in San Diego and was hoping to pick up a pair or trio. I really don't look to breed them right away (I have a lot of leo eggs incubating so I'll have my hands full in no time), but what are some of the details of breeding this type of gecko? Is it pretty much straight forward similar to leopard gecko breeding? Thanks for your time everyone.

KelliH
03-11-2004, 08:30 AM
Sal-

Crested geckos are extremely easy to keep and breed. In fact, in my opinion they are as simple to reproduce as leopard geckos, just different.

I setup my adults seperately in 10 gallon tanks, although they would do good in something larger as well. I keep the enclosures simple: paper towel, cork bark for climbing, hide box, water bowl. The females have a nest box with moist sphagnum moss inside. I feed mostly crickets, and supplement accordingly with calcium or vitamins. I do offer peach or apricot baby food once a week. I give their cage a good misting 3 times a week.

I introduce the male for breeding into the females cage, leaving him in for a week or so. You will probably hear them sqeaking/sqauking at night, which is a good sign. After I remove the male the female will lay eggs a few weeks later, 2 to a clutch. Females will continue to lay every few weeks, and I have found that they do retain sperm. Eggs are setup exactly as leopard gecko eggs and incubated at around 80-82. They hatch 60-70 days later. I keep hatchlings in Sterilite containers exactly as I keep the adults, only I mist them daily.

I think cresteds make an excellent second gecko to work with after leos, they are really cool little guys. Good luck!
http://hisss.net/Images/030303/subadultcresteds.jpg

http://hisss.net/Images/030303/subadultcresteds2.jpg

All4Sky
03-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Thanks Kelli,

I think I'm going to take the plunge! Now the only thing is waiting for the IRBA show on March 27th, I'm not sure I can wait that long lol. Well I guess that gives me time to get their enclosures all set up. I noticed you were using the herpcages.com arboreal style cage, I was thinking about getting some of those. What size do you use for your cresteds? I might buy a hatchling rack for my leo hatchlings from them as well. Thanks