PDA

View Full Version : Micro chips for expensive reptiles?

beakgeek
03-24-2004, 11:59 AM
After reading some threads on here regarding theft of expensive reptiles has anyone ever used microchips to identify animals? I know they use them for dogs, cats, birds, etc. If it is an option it might make sense to use one on those pricey reptiles.

Regards,

Terry

Sybella
03-24-2004, 12:48 PM
I do know that my local shelter scans all the animals that come in for chips, reptiles included.

I don't know how much it costs but if it isn't too costly, that may be the way to go. ;)

WingedWolf
03-24-2004, 11:56 PM
With all the thefts that have been going on recently, that's DEFINITELY a viable option.
I saw an ad for microchipping for 30 bucks, I'm betting you can get it done even cheaper. That's half the cost of a vet visit, itself. Not bad at all.
It's difficult to imagine that it's not worth 30 bucks to protect an animal worth over 100 for its life. (I spotted a shelter offering it at a discounted rate for 20 bucks for implanting and registering it).
And if you sell it, the fact that it's microchipped is a huge bonus.

Or, chip them yourself:
http://www.avidmicrochip.com/

I hear the procedure for birds and herps is a bit different from mammals, though, so you'd need to look into that carefully.