PDA

View Full Version : Raytek MT4 temp gun

JJFOUTZ
04-20-2004, 08:57 PM
I just got one of these recently. I was holding out because I was looking at them priced around $100, I found one for $62 and decided it was time to break down and buy one. I can not belive I did without one before and I can tell you I will never be without one again. I have a hard time putting it down. I must have checked my hot spot temps in each enclosure 2 or 3 times the first night to check its consistancy and accuracy (+ I couldn't help myself). The reading is almost instant and it will hold the temp reading for 5 seconds (seems longer than it sounds). Anyway, Just thought I would tell everyone about my experience with it.

Jeff Foutz

robyn@Pro Exotics
05-10-2004, 02:59 PM
we have worked very hard to bring an affordable Temp Gun to the reptile market, and we have got the price all the way down to $25 each. an infrared Temp Gun is indeed an invaluable tool for reptile husbandry, and at $25, just about every hobbyist can afford to get one.

it is easily the number one tool for improving your reptile skills and comprehension.

groovygeckos
09-01-2004, 06:10 PM
how accurate is the temp. gun ? , ihave one and i get different reading s with it than my dual-probe digital thermometer does !! trying to figure out which device is wrong ! thanx

robyn@Pro Exotics
09-04-2004, 04:30 AM
temp guns and digital thermometers are both valuable tools, but they do slightly different things.

a temp gun reads reflected surface temperature, the temperature of an object.

a digital thermo reads air temperature at either the base, or at the location of a probe.

when measuring a basking spot directly beneath a lamp, your temp gun will tell you the surface temp, and for our monitors, that may be 130F+. a digital probe in that "same spot" is not actually touching and reading the surface temp, instead reading the air temp, and it may read 105F.

they are both correct, because the air temp a quarter inch above the surface can be significantly different than the surface itself.

once you understand how to use each of the tools, you gain a better understanding of cage setup and optimization, and you will realize that both are probably "right" : )

MGReptiles
12-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Hey Jeff, I know this is an older post but where did you buy the MT-4 for 62.00.. Mini temp guns are awsome also... I sell them for 21.99 though...

JJFOUTZ
11-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Bradystools.com They are now $57.99

Reptile Basics
01-05-2006, 08:07 PM
I like the PE-2 for $45. Every bit as nice as the Raytek (laser and all) and I don't think I have seen a Raytek yet for $45. If you want economy I would go with the PE-1 for $25. Not quite the range (distance) but unless you have venomous you need to stay away from it does the job just fine.

Golden Gate Geckos
01-05-2006, 08:36 PM
I got my Raytek for $50 on eBay. I LOVE it!!!

MGReptiles
01-05-2006, 09:05 PM
LOL I love me some Ebay.. I think 90% of the gifts I gave for Christmas came from there.. I dont think you should be thinking ECONOMY when it comes to keeping the temps right(monitored) in your animals cage.. Since it does keep them thriving and all.. But hey what do I know..lol

shrap
01-05-2006, 11:44 PM
I have both the PE-2 and the Raytek MT4. It is not even close. The Raytek is by far a superior product in my opinion. It is better made, more intuitive in its design and has never had any of the odd bugs I have ran across with the PE-2.

Things like switching to Celsius on its own. I can take temps in Fahrenheit let it shut off and the next time I pick it up it is in Celsius. It even does that without it being shut off. Sometimes it will do it after one or two readings, sometimes after 8 or 10 or any number in between. On brand new batteries.

The Raytek is certainly the way to go.

robyn@Pro Exotics
01-10-2006, 01:29 AM
i am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your PE-2. we have sold tens of thousands of Temp Guns, and VERY FEW have ever had a problem. i would be happy to replace that unit, or offer you a refund, the last thing i want is for you to be dissatisfied, and this is the first i have heard of your trouble.

full refund, quick replacement, i don't think raytek does that...

shrap
01-10-2006, 04:26 AM
I appreciate the offer, Robyn, but I would not hardly feel right doing so. I have had it for around a year now, and while the Celsius thing has been irritating I still feel I got my moneys worth out of it. Thank you very much for the offer though, it is truly appreciated.

Cat_72
01-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Mine does the same thing, Sammy.....so it ain't just you, lol. ;)

MGReptiles
01-10-2006, 11:55 AM
full refund, quick replacement, i don't think raytek does that...

Actually that is up to which company you bought the Raytek from. We offer the same thing with the rayteks.. :>poke2<:

Cat_72
01-19-2006, 09:13 PM
I have to add here.......Robyn saw my post on here, and insisted on replacing my PE-2, even though I didn't originally purchase it through them!!! The new one works perfectly, and I can't thank Robyn enough! :)

Bubafat
03-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Although I can't compare it to the PE-2 as I haven't used one, I own a Raytek ST20 and wouldn't trade it for the world.

The reasons I love it:
1. Retains temperature (and Max) for several seconds after releasing the button...so I can reach into a box, squeeze the trigger, let go, remove it and see what the temp is.
2. Backlit
3. 16:1 D:S ratio (twice that of any PE gun)...this means a VERY precise measurement.
4. Laser (most have this...but I wouldn't buy one without it)
5. It's small enough so that I can fit it into the places I want, yet large enough so I don't lose it! :)
6. HUGE temp range...-25º to 999ºF (i use it for cooking as well)

Cost: Ebay $95 plus shipping (recently they're going for ~$100-140)

Dawnrenee2000
03-09-2006, 11:48 AM
I have a raytek temp gun that I bought from Matt and MG reptiles when I bought my thermostats for my rack system. And I think it is a GREAT TOOL! I use it regularly and feel confident that my gradients temps are good for my snakes.

I think all retpile keepers should have one.

Skunky
03-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Whereabouts would one pick up a PE-1 or PE-2? Cant quite afford $80 on a thermometer! :)

Dawnrenee2000
03-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Check out Proexotics.com. I beleive they are the makers of them. I hear they are very good too.

MGReptiles
03-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Cant quite afford $80 on a thermometer! :)

Just remember you get what you pay for:)

Skunky
03-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Wise words, Matt...wise words :)

robyn@Pro Exotics
03-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Just remember you get what you pay for:)

what is that supposed to mean? who are you, George Bush? that is a stupid baseless comment, meant to lend credence to something completely untrue.

we offer the best husbandry tool at the very best price. the PE-1 at $25 works terrifically for many applications, including reptiles. it has changed the way folks keep their animals, it has improved tens of thousands of captive setups.

we bust our butts daily to provide world class animals, world class products, and state of the art husbandry theory, all to be hated on by lowlifes like you.

i am so sick of your "goody two shoes" persona, snide comments, and holier than thou attitude. you are a real piece of crappy work matt. getback to plugging your own "good guy" threads, you have a phony image to maintain.

MGReptiles
03-11-2006, 05:24 PM
what is that supposed to mean? who are you, George Bush? that is a stupid baseless comment, meant to lend credence to something completely untrue.

we offer the best husbandry tool at the very best price. the PE-1 at $25 works terrifically for many applications, including reptiles. it has changed the way folks keep their animals, it has improved tens of thousands of captive setups.

we bust our butts daily to provide world class animals, world class products, and state of the art husbandry theory, all to be hated on by lowlifes like you.

i am so sick of your "goody two shoes" persona, snide comments, and holier than thou attitude. you are a real piece of crappy work matt. getback to plugging your own "good guy" threads, you have a phony image to maintain.

Now that is professionallism at its finest.

Dr Owens
03-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Now that is professionallism at its finest.No kidding. :rolleyes:

Dawnrenee2000
03-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Well , isnt it funny that my posting something very nice about a product had to turn into a personal warzone :>poke2<:

I know we all take pride in our businesses, our products, our animals..heck even our opinions, but no sense in "throwing up" all over the forums. :argue:

Can we now get back to the " consumer reports" aspect and leave the sellers personal negative opinions for elsewhere? :nopity:

cyberfrog
03-15-2006, 11:43 PM
I tell you what, I have no problems telling of my good dealings with Matt G. However I must also say Robin is a good guy too. I had an issue with Robyn over some bad information I got about an unrelated product(Pro Products Heat panels). He was very professional in talking with me about his end of that deal. After that I did speak to him at the Philly NARBC show at breakfast and at Daytona(about Nathan Marquardt, do you guys still sponsor him Robyn?) and he was great both times in person as well. Everyone likes their own products, it's not a crime. I personally own a Raytek which I got through a buddy from the Snap-On tool guy and therefor haven't had the need for a Tempgun, however my girlfriend's Dad uses a Mini Tempgun with his boas and it works flawlessly. Conclusion, 2 good products. What do you know, it can happen!

cyberfrog
03-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Oh, and that bradytools.com place has the Raytek for $49.99 right now.

Scott Ashton
03-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Oh, and that bradytools.com place has the Raytek for $49.99 right now.

Nice catch!

JJFOUTZ
08-21-2006, 10:52 PM
I have to say that all of my dealings with Matt G. have been pleasant and problem free. It is a shame that competition brings out so much aggression in some people. :hot:

bsharrah
09-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Picked one of these up on Ebay for around $35 plus shipping. Received it a few days later and do not know how I got by without it. This thing is awesome!

Bart