PDA

View Full Version : Crickets keep dying,,,,,,why?

gmherps
05-09-2004, 10:59 AM
It doesn't matter what I do, my crickets keep dying.
Here are the conditions they're kept in:
70-80 degrees
sponge with water
fruit/veggies for food
egg cartons for climbing
not overcrowded (20 gallon rubbermaid with 100 crickets)

Any suggestions???????????????

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dwedeking
05-09-2004, 11:23 AM
You might want to look at the ventilation. We use the larger (and deeper) rubbermaids. This allows us to leave it with no lids for maxium ventilation. With the numbers your working with you could just make a screen top for the tub.

This is what we do:

1. high quality crickets (I tried a number of vendors to find the right balance of quality vs. price).
2. Cricket waterer (this is a bottle, upside down that flows into a sponge ring)
3. Monster Diets cricket food.
4. Egg cartons for separation and hide spots.
5. In AC'ed room to keep temps in the high 70's low 80's (we're in So Cal and last week it busted 100 outside)

gmherps
05-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Thanks a lot!

That's the funny thing, I don't have a lid on the top, so ventilation is great.

I think Walmart crickets suck, and I recentley posted a good post about a box of crickets I bought, but they all died the next day.

KelliH
05-09-2004, 02:03 PM
What size crickets are you buying?

Wal Mart sells crickets now??? Wow I didn't know that!

gmherps
05-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Kelli,
I'm buying med-large crickets.
I bought some yesterday, and I woke up this morning and all 50 were dead.
I know the conditions were good, but damn these crickets must suck.

Clay Davenport
05-09-2004, 11:55 PM
When you find them dead, are they just laying there or are they on their backs?

gmherps
05-10-2004, 07:06 AM
They're dead, and all mushy like.

There was no movement at all.

Clay Davenport
05-10-2004, 07:57 AM
I didn't mean that question to suggest they might not be dead, but the position they die in could be a clue. If they're dead on their backs it's a sign of poisoning. Dead on their bellies suggests another cause. One or two on their backs isn't an indication though, but if entire batches are dying that way it needs to be investigated.
I have known of people with chronic trouble keeping crickets alive that started looking at potential pollutants. It may have been a cleaning product, a certain air freshner, or another ariborne chemical that was poisoning the crickets. Dying on their backs is a symptom of this.

Another thing you may want to check is the sponge you are using for water. Most synthetic sponges, particularly the ones you get in the cleaning section, are treated with something, I'm not sure what. Whatever it is will foam up when you work the sponge in clean water. This may be a factor, I don't know. I've never used these type sponges for that reason.
I never offered my crickets an actual water source, I just misted greens and put them in the tub.

In my opinion, there has to be some outside influence that is killing them all in one day. The store couldn't keep any to sell if they died that quickly.
Low quality crickets won't live long, but they all usually won't die immediately.

gmherps
05-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Thanks a lot Clay, I'm going to check into this a little closer.

cricket
05-10-2004, 09:55 PM
If crickets appear "mushy" then it may be that they are getting overheated. If there is any mositure on the side of the container then they are not getting enough ventilation.

Also bacteria loves to grow on sponges - get rid of it. If the sponge is "antibacterial" that it containes a chemical that is harmful to crickets

Try getting some water gel or purchase a watering system (a chicken waterer works well) you can buy them at any feed store.

Hope this helps.

Tracey

ace9916
02-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Hello I know this post is alittle old but i'll try here before posting a new one. I read all your posts and after succesfully keeping crickets for 5 years i'm imberassed to even ask this. But these last couple of weeks my adult crickets are deing by the thousands within 2-3 days from time of arrival. At first i thought hummidity waas the problem since we are having weird weather in cali, one day cold the other hot, and then rain. I reworkerd my cricket cabinet/ keeper and got my hummitty down to 28-35 percent constent temps are between 79-85 all day. my young crickets are doing great they are kept sealed with a lid t keep hummitty higher for them and only them. Now the adults are still dieing, i purchased 3thousand on sunday and by tuesday half were gone, and yesterday the rest.

I'm starting to think its poisons, having learned this mistake a long time ago. Its the only other thing i could think of. I'v tried different vendors etc. I just have doubts sice i don't recall getting anything in the tubs or seeing anything spilled in them. Any suggestions. Thanks

BreedersCircle
03-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Hey Armando,
I have been doing crickets for a while and something that I learned with the adult crickets is that when they die, different bacterias spores tend to linger in the containers. If you do not clean with ammonia the spores could still be in the containers after you clean them out killing future potential crickets you bring into them. After cleaning with amonia and rinsing out, you can leave the tubs in the sun to help sterilize them even better and try again.

Also overcrowding can be an issue, the more egg cartons the better. Ventilation can be good also(fans can help out). If you start to see a wet or nasty death within the container, quickly remove those cricekts into a new tub (sometimes it might even still be too late). If it is a dry death then it can be old age or fumes that might be killing them. Keep me updated.
Im still trying to master crickets and need all the help I can get!

DAND
03-17-2010, 11:42 AM
What all but one of these posts here has missed is feeding them. Potato, fruits or other veggies are not food. You have to feed your food (crickets) too. I tell at least half a dozen customers each show who buy crickets from me at the shows I vend the exact same thing. They all seem shocked that you need to feed the crickets and that potato is not a food source.

Also, with adult crickets you will need to remember that once they are chirping (for those who did not know, the males are the only ones that chirp) they have about 2 weeks before they die. Not knowing how long they have been chirping before you receive them is something to consider. You may want to go with the next size down to lower your losses. Not to mention the adults have more and a harder exoskeleton which is just waste anyhow.

BreedersCircle
03-17-2010, 12:50 PM
David has a great couple of points there. :yesnod:

Papa Wyrm
05-16-2010, 08:28 PM
What all but one of these posts here has missed is feeding them. Potato, fruits or other veggies are not food. You have to feed your food (crickets) too. I tell at least half a dozen customers each show who buy crickets from me at the shows I vend the exact same thing. They all seem shocked that you need to feed the crickets and that potato is not a food source.

What do we feed them if not collard and mustard greens??

DAND
05-17-2010, 01:14 AM
What do we feed them if not collard and mustard greens??

PM sent.

On a note of dying crickets, for those who are not aware, there is a virus that has been hitting a number of cricket farms that is causing paralysis and then death in the crickets around the 4 week mark, around the 3/4 inch size. So your dying crickets may not be something you have been doing wrong.

It is my understanding it has hit the west coast pretty hard and previously Canada and Europe a few years back.

So don't be surprised if your local pet store is not able to get them or your supplier (for those who order larger numbers) all of a sudden can't fill your regular orders.

ace9916
05-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Dang I forgot I even posted here so long ago. Thanks all for the replies, since then we gave uo on crickets. We found what was wrong and it was a virus that attacked most of If not all the cricket breeders out here in cali. The ones who claim to have crickets I think just won't admit to it. I introduced the virus when I bought some crickets just to refresh my own breeders, and a few feeders. It went all down hill after that it spread Luke a wild fire across all my cricket bins.

DAND
05-17-2010, 08:37 AM
Dang I forgot I even posted here so long ago. Thanks all for the replies, since then we gave uo on crickets. We found what was wrong and it was a virus that attacked most of If not all the cricket breeders out here in cali. The ones who claim to have crickets I think just won't admit to it. I introduced the virus when I bought some crickets just to refresh my own breeders, and a few feeders. It went all down hill after that it spread Luke a wild fire across all my cricket bins.

As I understand it, the crickets used here in the US and Canada are a European species and are the ones getting hit hard by this virus. I read somewhere (I'll post the link when I find it again) that the European cricket farms have been pretty much wiped out and are trying crickets from different localities.

BreedersCircle
05-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Ever since Europe was hit with the virus they breed many different type of crickets including the black cricket. The only problem is that unlike Acheta domesticus "the brown cricket", the crickets they breed are not as prolific as the brown cricket.
They import millions from here in the USA

Like David said, the disease wiped out Europe, was then introduced to some big farms in Canada, moved on into the west coast and rumor has it that it is now even in central and eastern farms. Pretty scary stuff

Wolfy-hound
05-17-2010, 10:40 AM
I always 'fed' my crickets apples and potatos too! I just got some cricket food(looks like brown chicken crumbles) to give them though. Thank you guys so much for posting the advice, I've been losing crickets and just assumed crickets died(haven't lost ALL of them like the other psoters thank goodness!).

DAND
05-17-2010, 11:07 AM
I always 'fed' my crickets apples and potatos too! I just got some cricket food(looks like brown chicken crumbles) to give them though. Thank you guys so much for posting the advice, I've been losing crickets and just assumed crickets died(haven't lost ALL of them like the other psoters thank goodness!).

I don't remember if I posted this so just in case I will post it now, when using the chick starter make sure it is NOT the medicated kind. It will kill your crickets. :(

DAND
05-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Like David said, the disease wiped out Europe, was then introduced to some big farms in Canada, moved on into the west coast and rumor has it that it is now even in central and eastern farms. Pretty scary stuff

I can tell you for a fact it has hit some of these farms. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to name the one farm I know for a fact that has been hit (if a mod happens to be reading this please advise) but for those who want to know feel free to PM me and I'll give you that information. It is also my understanding that this farm was also selling to some of the west coast farms which just may have been where they got it from....????:shrug01: Coincidence?????

ace9916
05-17-2010, 11:39 AM
From what iv been told from my suppliers its bad enough that once u get it. You be to start over new tubs, and supplies etc, and try to disinfect everything walls floor, etc.

Clay Davenport
05-17-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't remember if I posted this so just in case I will post it now, when using the chick starter make sure it is NOT the medicated kind. It will kill your crickets. :(

I always used laying mash to feed the crix, and still feed it to the roaches. I figure it being fortified with calcium for laying hens can't hurt.

As for naming the cricket farm that had the virus, let's keep that in PM for now since this isn't the BOI. I'd prefer not having companies mentioned and getting off on a tangent with that on the discussion forums.
PM me with the info for that matter, it'd be good to know even though I don't currently buy bulk crickets.

DAND
05-17-2010, 12:52 PM
As for naming the cricket farm that had the virus, let's keep that in PM for now since this isn't the BOI. I'd prefer not having companies mentioned and getting off on a tangent with that on the discussion forums.PM me with the info for that matter, it'd be good to know even though I don't currently buy bulk crickets.

Clay,

Thanks for the response. I figured as much and played it safe by not naming names. PM being sent. :thumbsup:

brd7666
05-17-2010, 01:36 PM
I didn't read evrything in this thread. I did see the mention of chemicals. One of my pet shop customers had a cricket problem a while back. He had a few snake mites show up in his back room. I told him to hang a No Pest Strip in the room. It really wasn't close to the crickets. They were dying and dying shipment after shipment and he just couldn't figure it out. Finally we realized the pest strip was in there, and he took it out and now his crickets are fine. So you might want to look around because chemicals can kill for a long time. Some bug sprays linger for months. So even if the room was sprayed a while back, it can still have an affect. Hope you find the answer.

DAND
05-17-2010, 02:01 PM
I didn't read evrything in this thread. I did see the mention of chemicals. One of my pet shop customers had a cricket problem a while back. He had a few snake mites show up in his back room. I told him to hang a No Pest Strip in the room. It really wasn't close to the crickets. They were dying and dying shipment after shipment and he just couldn't figure it out. Finally we realized the pest strip was in there, and he took it out and now his crickets are fine. So you might want to look around because chemicals can kill for a long time. Some bug sprays linger for months. So even if the room was sprayed a while back, it can still have an affect. Hope you find the answer.

Very good point. Even things like painting or some cleaners could cause the crickets to die.

Wolfy-hound
05-17-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm using a cricket food in a jar, not actual chicken food, but I'll keep that in mind for sure! Thanks!

It was cool, I put some food in the bin and within a couple minutes the little crickets were on it eating! I know I know.. I need to get a life...

ace9916
05-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Here is an address to a an article i read on the virus spreadng among the cricket ranches.
http://www.thefrilleddragon.com/content/141-Cricket-Virus-Wipes-Out-Growers-in-UK-and-Europe

DAND
05-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Here is an address to a an article i read on the virus spreadng among the cricket ranches.
http://www.thefrilleddragon.com/content/141-Cricket-Virus-Wipes-Out-Growers-in-UK-and-Europe

I'm pretty sure that was the same article I was referring to earlier. Here it is in case the link ever gets removed:

Cricket Virus Wipes Out Growers in UK & Europe
by Jon Coote

Cricket Growers in Europe and the UK have been seriously impacted by a species-specific parvovirus, presumed to be a densovirus. Commonly known in the UK as ‘cricket paralysis virus’ first appearance in the UK from mainland Europe was in early 2002. All five major commercial cricket growers in the UK were infected before the end of 2002. This virus specifically attacks only the Common Brown or House cricket (Acheta domesticus), previously the core species in European trade, and the only species in trade in the USA.

In Europe, commercial growers regularly raise three alternative species of cricket, Banded cricket, also known as the Tropical House cricket (Gryllodes sigillatus), African Black Field cricket (Gryllus bimaculatus), and Silent Brown cricket, also known as Jamaican Field cricket (Gryllus similis), so the impact of loosing the Brown House cricket is not as serious as it would currently be in the USA.

Infected crickets die without any visible symptoms and at all stages of development, but death rates are heaviest at the pre-wing stage just before adult size. The effect is also cumulative. At first death rates are tolerable and many growers believe that they simply have a husbandry problem. Within as little as six weeks death rates become catastrophic and all viable commercial production is lost. Though a few adults may still survive, they are in too low numbers to support continued commercial production.

There is no known treatment and, being a virus, probably none will be found. Prevention is the only viable solution at this time. Experiments are being conducted to try to establish the vectors of this virus. I’ve arranged for one UK grower to conduct an experiment to see if the Dermestes beetles (commonly called Fuzzy Bugs) that infest most growers’ colonies are primary vectors of this virus. Other UK growers are trying to determine if any individuals can be found that are resistant to this virus. Imported crickets from the USA have proved to be particularly susceptible.

Where this virus came from is open to speculation, but it apparently first appeared in Germany, were commercial production of this species has now effectively ended. It may ultimately prove to have mutated from a similar virus that infects Wax Moth larvae (Galeria mellonella). These larvae are routinely used in research establishments to maintain a wide variety of insect viruses injected into them that researchers want to study. So this insect species is clearly especially adept at carrying insect viruses of many types and maintaining them in a viable form. It is possible that a mutation could have occurred in this way to ultimately infect Brown House crickets.

My position in both the UK and USA reptile industry, working with T-Rex Products, provides me with a unique opportunity to be able to talk candidly to both reptile breeders and insect growers, as our products complement theirs rather than compete. As a result I was able to call a meeting of all interested parties, including most of the largest US cricket growers, last August, at Wayne Hill’s Reptile Expo in Daytona Beach. Also present was one of the principal US reptile vets and a UK cricket grower, who was able to share his direct experiences with this virus. From that meeting I’ve continued an e-mail correspondence with the group to enable them to better understand this virus and what measures are likely to prevent it impacting on the US.

I’ve been able to establish a likely protocol to clean up after an infection, if that ever occurs, and locate a UK based researcher who would be interested in studying this virus. This researcher is currently working on baculoviruses for insect pest control and is intrigued by our problem. Much of her work focuses on trying to elucidate the ecology of insect diseases (persistence, transmission, etc.) in addition to pest control, which is the sort of study that is required. No one anywhere currently works on insect parvovirus ecology and biology, which does mean that some basic biology needs to be done to start with. If it is a parvovirus, it is presumed to be a densovirus, one of which has been previously reported from the Brown House cricket in a single report in the 1970s, in Montpellier in France. This researcher considers that my idea that it might be passively dispersed by Dermestes beetles is intriguing and perhaps a good place to start, hence the experiment described above.

During my investigations into this subject I came upon another researcher who was raising pathogen-free crickets, i.e. free of bacteria, etc., in special isolator systems. This is a very costly operation producing perhaps the most expensive insects reared worldwide! It could however provide an opportunity to re-colonize with disease free crickets if effective cleanup after this virus proves to be possible. Experiments are underway.

A well known parvovirus infects dogs. Believed to have mutated from feline parvovirus, also known as feline distemper virus, it first appeared in 1978 in the USA. It soon crossed the Atlantic to infect dogs in Europe. It is hoped that strict measures are voluntarily adopted to ensure that this cricket virus does not cross the ‘pond’ in the opposite direction.

All contact with European commercially grown insects should be avoided and imports of these into the USA should cease with immediate effect. It is known that the largest commercial producer of Wax Moth larvae in the UK has shipped surplus stock to the USA in the recent past. This should no longer be considered viable. It may be wise to establish from your supplier if insects are USA home grown or not. The Brown House cricket is commercially extinct in Europe. It would currently be a tragedy if the same situation were to occur in the USA, whilst prevention remains possible.

Jon Coote is a professional herpetologist, trained at the University of Nottingham in the UK. He is Director of Research & Development for T-Rex Products Inc. He is Chairman of the Livestock Advisory Panel, of the UK’s industry association, the Pet Care Trust, and Chairman, and past President, of the International Herpetological Society.

DAND
05-18-2010, 09:01 AM
For those of you who purchase crickets from pet stores, you will want to make sure to find out where they get their crickets from because they may still be receiving them from places with this virus. I was just told by a customer of mine who works at a "pet store" that the crickets they just received died.

ace9916
05-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Most of the places who have the virus are purchasing from others to keep customers orders filled but the virus spreads so quickly that just by them handling the crickets they can pass it on to the none infected crickets. Double checking who your supplier is getting crickets from Is a good idea. You will loose a lot if you dont. I was buying them by the thousands before my supplier told me about the problem.

RogerProws
05-18-2010, 04:31 PM
For my referance does anyone have any suggestions of suppliers that are known to be clean?

BreedersCircle
05-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Lazy H bate, Armstrong, Ghann (but ghann is out of 3/4" and 1")

ace9916
05-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Mostly anyone that is on the east cost is good, on the west coast cricket factory claims to have clean crickets. I haven't tried them yet but am about to i placed an order today just to see.

ace9916
05-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Lazy H bate, Armstrong, Ghann (but ghann is out of 3/4" and 1")

Thats probably because they were selling to other breeders out here in the west coast.

Ghana I'm pretty sure would be a good choice if you have a need for smaller crickets right now. I have a friends here that are ordering from them to here and others who are working on it.

Reptile Bob
05-26-2010, 01:47 AM
I have to say that this cricket virus is scary stuff. I own a reptile store and my partner owns 2 others and we have been jumping from supplier to supplier for the past few months. Our latest one has just run into supply issues and we're in serious need for crickets as we order 100k a week. I have a feeling that, just like Europe, all our cricket farms will crash and we'll be left with roaches only (I'm not sure what the Dept of Ag says on other cricket species). Of course this will be quite a set-back to the reptile industry, as I know many of my customers will not be happy with roaches.

ace9916
05-26-2010, 02:28 AM
I spoke to my supplier here in northern cal and he to has run out if adult / large crickets all he has left now are up to 3-4 weeks. I to have been reduced to roaches and supers for now. I lost my entire colony of crickets a few months back when I ordered a few crickets from a supplier down here as a surplus.

DAND
05-26-2010, 05:54 AM
I spoke to my supplier here in northern cal and he to has run out if adult / large crickets all he has left now are up to 3-4 weeks. I to have been reduced to roaches and supers for now. I lost my entire colony of crickets a few months back when I ordered a few crickets from a supplier down here as a surplus.

Now this could mean one of a few things, they may be upping their production and holding back more adults in order to increase their production due to additional customer inflow or they may just have the virus and their crickets are dying off. If you suspect the latter is what is going on I'd suggest looking for another supplier and or a different food source for your critters.

ace9916
05-26-2010, 08:04 AM
XNow this could mean one of a few things, they may be upping their production and holding back more adults in order to increase their production due to additional customer inflow or they may just have the virus and their crickets are dying off. If you suspect the latter is what is going on I'd suggest looking for another supplier and or a different food source for your critters.

He told me that he had sold out, and the ones he did have were breeders.

frillielover17
05-26-2010, 11:57 AM

I wound up posting up another article/link on my forum to Ghann's saying how it reached the US finally. This whole virus ordeal is scary. I wish they would allow locusts as feeders and the other cricket breeds.

sschind
05-27-2010, 12:05 PM
As of about 10:30 AM today CST Bug co has nothing larger than 1/2.

Gahnns has up to 1/2 and a limited supply of pre-wing. They are out of 5/8 3/4 and adult.

Of course since all these companies treat their customers differently it is entirely possible that you may be able to get the sizes you need while others are told they are out.

Looks like its time to fire up the roach colonies again.

ace9916
05-27-2010, 04:01 PM
As of about 10:30 AM today CST Bug co has nothing larger than 1/2.

Gahnns has up to 1/2 and a limited supply of pre-wing. They are out of 5/8 3/4 and adult.

Of course since all these companies treat their customers differently it is entirely possible that you may be able to get the sizes you need while others are told they are out.

Looks like its time to fire up the roach colonies again.

Gahnns has been low on adult for a few weeks now, we tried purchasing from them and we got the same answer. either they all are holding back or are being affected by the virus. I'm also pretty sher who ever has crickets are running really low since so many others are dieing out and left with nothing.

If this continues to spread you'd better get your hands on roaches while you still can if you haven't already. They are already expensive can you imagine what its going to be like if the cricket crises continues.