PDA

View Full Version : Burm housing.

Burma Boy
05-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Anyone care to share how they house their big burms?
I hate to get rid of them just because they're pushing the rest of the collection aside. My burms are my favorite!
Looking to build a new enclosure. Or possibly buy a large cage. Anyone have any suggestions?

Irwin
05-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Hello,

All of my burms are housed in custom made enclosures. They are built of plywood, 2x4's of 2x2's, plexiglass, and pegboard in the back for ventilation. To keep good humidity and heat, you can seal the wood with some sort of non-toxic sealer, even though I have never had to do this, they keep about 50% humidity with just a large humidifier in the snake room. I have never had problems with these cages. I use heatlights, so I install a little ceramic light fixture in the top of the cage, and build a wire cover for the light, so the snake cannot come in contact with the light.

Hope I helped a little,
Steven K.

snakekid13
05-12-2004, 05:36 PM
i use the 72 inch vision cages for my burms and retics and i have one cage very similar to stevens. plus the vision cage isnt priced too high i think i got mine for about 275 dollars.

Burma Boy
05-12-2004, 11:37 PM
the Vision cage I was looking at for a Burm was about $900.
It is quite large.
I will probably end up building one

snakekid13
05-13-2004, 05:17 PM
REALLY?!?!?! mine wasnt near that price! But building them is also a good alternative just make sure to have good plexiglass because if its to thin it'll bend and stuff.

Burma Boy
05-13-2004, 10:13 PM
The Vision model #734 has dimensions of 80"Lx28"Dx44"H...and retails for $859.00
I'm not so sure I'd want to put an adult burm in a cage much smaller than that.
Going by the rule of thumb...the length of the cage should be one half the length of the snake, and the depth should be one third.
Well...this would be about the minimum.
Anyone have any ideas on dimensions?
What size Vision cages do you all use for your burms?

Irwin
05-14-2004, 07:29 PM
I've never used the vision cages, have always used custom made. The custom built cages may require some labor, but they are much cheaper (built a cage that is 8ft long, 6ft high, and 3ft wide with all accessories and 3 stalls for 360$). If you do go with custom made, then as Eric said get proper plexiglass, and make sure you predrill the holes, so there is no cracking.

Steven K. Ray

aikidophreak
05-14-2004, 11:36 PM
what i use is a rubbermade water trough that you can get a a ranch suppply store. Use aquarium silicone a stick a peice of sealed plywood (3/4 in thick on it), then the edge can then be trimed to a nice shape I chose octogon. I found a peice of fire place grate for vintilation. I used a piece of wood striping to sandwich the fire place grate and plywood cover, (I cut a hole wich the grating covers) Then between the grating I put sliding glass doors with lock. The water trough has a drain hole already in it wich I put a four foot piece of drift wood anchard by a bolt there. The hole setup looks like a coffee table tiped on its side. for heating I just cut a hole in the side of the trough wich is the top of the viv that fits a lamp hooked to a dimer switch for heat adjustablity. the hole is coverd by heavy screen pop rivited in to place ans each rivet is coverd with silicone.
For a 275 gallon set up it cost 250 dollars. and is very easy to clean. you can buy water troughs up to 750 gallon

snakekid13
05-15-2004, 12:53 PM
great idea! i never thought of that i might try those sounds like a real nice setup.

AaronR
05-30-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by aikidophreak
what i use is a rubbermade water trough that you can get a a ranch suppply store. .
For a 275 gallon set up it cost 250 dollars. and is very easy to clean. you can buy water troughs up to 750 gallon

Do you have any pictures of this setup? It sounds very interesting and I'd like to try make one or five myself. ;)