PDA

View Full Version : Classified bump abuse..opinions

DThomas
05-23-2004, 10:08 PM
I can already see it happening. Royal Prop has been bumping this ad (http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39663) to the top the past two days. Heck, he only posted the ad on the 21st. To me this is abuse and away of getting around the high visibility ad option of keeping ads to the top.

Maybe set a rule that ads can not be bumped until they are off of the first page. What are everyone else's opinions?

JungleHabitats
05-23-2004, 10:42 PM
just kidding Dennis ....

I agree that if some are bumping to just bang them uptop everyday they shouldnt , i myself have found it that myself will bump once a week i will admit that i dont ALWAYS look to see where the add is as i usally goto the cp first to check things like "who is online" i like to see where people are viewing and what they are viewing. then i will bump my adds placed since you mentioned it i might even be guilty ofthis myself *shrug* but dont think so as i only bump once a week but since you mentioned this i will have to check to see wherethey are on the scale of things.

DThomas
05-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Once a week does not seem unreasonable to me even if they are still on the first page. It just irks me to see someone abusing the system like this.

And Alan....:raspberry

WebSlave
05-23-2004, 10:51 PM
Heck, you would think someone would spend $5 per month and not have to worry about bumping an ad, wouldn't you?

Is it really that much of a problem at this point?

DThomas
05-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by WebSlave
Is it really that much of a problem at this point?

I don't think it is at this point. That was the first instance I have noticed. I just thought I would bring it up before it became a problem. The potential for abuse is there and there will always be that 10%.

WebSlave
05-23-2004, 11:10 PM
I think I will be more "reactive" on this, rather than "proactive".

Quite honestly, unless I actively monitor the classified ad sections on a daily basis, I just won't know someone it bumping their ads abusively. I had considered this as a possible problem in the design specs I sent my programmer, but I figured there was little difference if someone bumped an ad via the control panel, bumped it via adding a reply to the thread, or just copied the ad and reposted it. Just degrees of effort needed to do the bumping.

If it gets to be a severe problem, I can ask my programmer put a bump counter in each ad, then I could just institute a warning category called "Bumping Abuse" that will be associated with the fine and suspension automatically when a certain number of bumps take place in a given timeframe. A couple of those and sooner or later the abuser will get the hint about paying the $5 for the highighted ad, I think. ;)

But honestly, right now I would rather see traffic in the classifieds section pick up before I need to worry about anything like this.

JungleHabitats
05-23-2004, 11:12 PM
and ill renew mine to rich lol

DThomas
05-23-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by JungleHabitats
and ill renew mine to rich lol

And I just sent the money for my two Rich. The links are in the Paypal email.

WebSlave
05-24-2004, 12:28 AM
Thanks, Dennis.

DThomas
05-24-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by WebSlave
Thanks, Dennis.

Heck, don't thank me. Thank you for the site and all the work you do. I just wish I could send more. If all my Boa morphs pan out next breeding, (or I hit the power ball..lol ), you WILL be getting more....;)

JungleHabitats
05-24-2004, 01:27 AM
About the other classifieds sections .... but i know that the caging & hsubandry section is goingto be "Yellow" with envy lol

Rich you have Mail my good sir ...

robin d.
05-24-2004, 07:34 PM
i agree that the bump feature is already being abused... i see a seller (naming no names) that every day and i have seen it sometimes twice a day bump his ads up in several catagories.... like 4-5 now while the bump feature is great and not abused is greater peole who are bumping everyday or twice aday is a bit ridicul;uos..... now if they paid the five they wouldnt have to pump and us broke asses might just get a shot at someone seeing our ads that like me might bump once a week.

Reptile Locators
05-31-2004, 09:51 AM
Hi, All

I have seen ad bumping abuse and it does not seem like a real problem as of yet but might start to be abused more. and might warant some kind of attention later, but i think Rich will do what is best for the site as far as that goes. althoe i do think Rich that a 5 or 7 day counter for ad bumping would be in order but i wouldn't think a warning system would be need if the bump clock for bumping ad's just only allows you to bump the ad every 5 or 7 days then it would be less work for Rich. and ad's would only be allowed to be bumped every 5-7 day's and no one could abuse it.
only speaking of future problem abuse.

I my self out of respect for other posters bump my ad's every few day's and hope that it is viewed in that way by others and i would also pay the 5 dollars for the highlighted ad's if i had a special that i could aford to run so the options are their for us to use and is up to us who use it to respect it.

Hey Rich maybe a note on the option box saying something about common courtesy of ad bumping might do.

Just my thought's but what ever save's money and time or future problems is alway's a plus.

NEWReptiles
06-07-2004, 11:11 AM
I too have noticed some bump abuse in the Ball Python classifieds. The party has been bringing thier ad to the top atleast 3 times a day. I'm sure others have seen it, and I would be a little bothered if I had ads up in that section.

JJFOUTZ
06-15-2004, 02:47 PM
I think that the yellow ads in the classifieds section would get more attention if they were not yellow and they were locked 1st in the classifieds below all Announcements and notices with the look of a normal ad. The reasoning behind this would be that I have noticed myself blowing over them like the announcements in any section, being that I read them once and then I think I have conditioned myself to start looking below them because I know that I have read them already. As an example of this in the boa classifieds, srsnakes and redtailboas ads are above the High visibility ads now being offered notice. all three are highlighted and it kind of gives the impression of the ending of announcements and the beginning of the ads. If that was were the normal looking high visibility ads would begin, your intrest would start there by default if you go there on any kind of regular basis. Maybe you would also get more people paying for the normal looking high vis ads because they could not bump above them and default to 3rd or more regardless of how often they bump. Just an observation with some thoughts, am I totally off?

WebSlave
06-15-2004, 04:16 PM
Well, I guess that is certainly possible....

What do you think I should do? Make it a three level option? (1) Pinned to the top of the forum, no highlighting, (2) Highlighted but NOT pinned to the top of the forum, and (3) Both pinned at top AND highlighted. ?

The problem will come in trying to figure out what and how to charge for this.

JJFOUTZ
06-15-2004, 04:24 PM
You could pin to the top and give the option of highlighting or no highlighting at the same price you are charging now.
I don't know, it is something that could be tossed around and see what others think.

JJFOUTZ
06-15-2004, 05:20 PM
I think if highlighted and regular looking ads are options, the highlighted ads should be above the regular looking pinned ads for the previously stated reasons.

Maybe if you moved the notice of highlighted ads above the highlighted ads and the word notice was removed from the subject line of the ad, that may be enough to seperate them from the annoucements. just some thoughts.

I truly think you are doing an excellent job with this site and it is a valuable tool and resource in the herp community. I don't want you (Webslave) to take any of these suggestions the wrong way. Keep up the good work, it is appreciated.

WebSlave
06-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Heck, Jeff. If I didn't want suggestions I wouldn't ask for them. And I would just delete any that people sent me unsolicited. :)

But I want to know what people think about how I should run this site. Can't say I can please everyone, and some suggestions just cannot be implemented for technical reasons, but I will at least consider them.

For instance, your suggestion about keeping the highlighted and pinned ads above the unhighlighted, pinned ads. That sounds easy on the surface, but in practice it will be a problem to do. The reason for that is because the pinning works by a method whereby the last pinned message will be at the top of the heap. So to try to do what you suggested, depending on how many people used this feature and the options they wanted, it could take me quite a bit of time and effort to do the arrangement in this fashion. Yes, it is logical in the way it should be, but it would be quite a problem actually doing it.

Another thing is that many options on this site are global in scope. In other words, the changes I would want to implement in the classifieds sections would also change the way things happen all throughout this site. Removing the "Notice:" prefix would make sense in the classifieds, but there are situations where I would want that to be visible within some of the other forums. So I would have to choose one method or the other for the entire site.

But heck, doesn't appear that anyone else is willing to express an opinion on this, so perhaps this is all moot anyway.

DThomas
06-15-2004, 06:45 PM
Heck Rich, he only posted this fours hours ago..lol Some of us have day jobs and just jump in when we can....:p It's only just now 3:45pm on the west coast here.

I think Jeff has made some valid observations. But like you said, easier said than done. Is it possible to select the color for individual announcements? Is so, make the pinned ads a different color.

WebSlave
06-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Hah! I hear you Dennis. But heck, I'll bet there have been 1,000 or more people who have been to this site in that time period. There have already been nearly 5,000 people here all day.

As for the multi-colored highlighting, no, that was not implemented that way. I suspect it would GREATLY complicate the programming behind that option.

Darin Chappell
06-15-2004, 07:03 PM
I like the idea of an extra charge for highlighted and pinned ads in the classifieds, and I would definitely use them. However, I agree that the yellow makes them look too much like the announcements in each forum that, once read, tend to be glossed over in my mind when I see them again.

Can they be pinned with a different color as Dennis suggested? I think that would make it much better.

JungleHabitats
06-15-2004, 07:39 PM
why i think they are a good option to use i to think they get looked over to get to the ads below them .I was checking the views on my ads in the caging section of classifieds .Although the $5 isnt alot i think if the ads could be implemented as a different color or ??? something it would bring them to more of a stand out then blending in with the Notice ads of the forums . Maybe its just no one is looking for the products i sell *shrug* lol but in the views of the highlighted ads i havent seen the "viewing" of them increase any higher then the non highlighted ads i have posted so at the present i feel that for me to spend another $5 for ads that get no more notice then the ads below them for free is kinda self defeating and i dont mean any offense but thats just my opinion

I cant remember which forum it was but i saw one here today that has a seperated box above the forums themself.Would it be possible to make a sub box that would place above the main classifieds section for the highlighted ads? and im not sure but can this setup have more then one Bground color?so the seperated section as a different color to make it stand out ? that way it would be a more self defined ad section to seperate it from the others and that way you wouldnt need to highlight per say the ads in the mass population.??? just some thoughts

A example :
************HIGLIGHTED CLASSIFIED SECTION*************

Joe blow ad -- _________________________________

John Doe Ad-- _________________________________

Jane Doe Ad-- _________________________________

possibly have this block a different color ?

then the normal classifieds as they are now and have the highlighted yellow notices in thissection ?

JJFOUTZ
06-15-2004, 10:10 PM
If all of these highlight suggestions would be a technical challenge or just not possible. Making the ad normal looking and pinning it at the top would make it the top of the classified section and not be overlooked by anyone even if they normally skip all announcements and notices. The $5 would be worth knowing it is one of the first ads that are seen consistantly and there would be no need to bump at all. The bumpers might even give in and pay because they would be discusted that no matter how often the bump, they just can't get the satisfaction of getting as close to the top of the ads as they would like.

JJFOUTZ
06-16-2004, 08:49 AM
The seperation idea that Alan suggested might not be a bad idea either, with or without highlighting. That way there would be some notice that those ads are special and they would not blend with the announcements.

WebSlave
06-16-2004, 11:36 AM
I believe what Alan is referring to is in the Discussion Forums. I added subforums there that are separated out from the regular forum. You can see what I mean by taking a look at the Leopard Gecko discussion forum (http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=149). I'm not sure that will do what people want, however, as the threads in that subforum are not displayed until you actually click on that subforum link.

Now I can certainly set something up like that where each classified section had a subsection for specials and featured ads, but would that really be useful? If viewers had to actually click on that subsection link to see those ads, do you think they would do that?

I guess one thing about this discussion that disturbs me is seeing people admit that they just completely ignore the announcements and notices I've been posting. Nice to know I've been wasting my time with them......

JJFOUTZ
06-16-2004, 11:49 AM
I don't think that the seperate subsection would be good. I was thinking he ment that there would be a seperator in the classifieds itself. Something like the announcements and then a seperate box or even a thick line then the highlighted ad then another thick line or end of the special box and then the regular classified ads.

Just looking for something that would be easy for you to implament, manipulate and maintain but still draw attention to them.

It is not that the announcements and notices are completly ignored, they just get less attention because they are read once and unless there is something new there, you kind of automatically look below them for the new stuff. I read the signature areas and thier use announcement a few days ago so I am noticing them as they change or are added to.

JungleHabitats
06-16-2004, 11:57 AM
Im not sure the "majority" are skipping them but i can say i do try to notice them as i go into the sections .Im not sure what couldbe done to make a *new* notice stand out to all.Would it be possible to implement a "glowing" text in your notices you make ? again not sure how flexible the forum is that you use .

And the link you posted is the setup i was thinking of as a sun section and now that i looked at it i would say thats a 50/50 split on what majority of people would click on it . But from looking at the subsection in the gecko forum i would say atleast in that section there does seem to be a majority of people clicking it .

My refference to the current ads that are highlighted were based on some recent ads that i posted that were not highlighted ads. i noticed in my one example that had been up almost a month it had 91 views over a month which i averaged out to about 3 views a day . where as a more recent ad i placed had gained 34 views in less then 48 hrs. now in defense ofthat i deliberatly placed that add title as a free cage to see how many people would view the add simply due to the wording of it as FREE CAGE lol and my suspicion was right the views doubled that of a highlighted add but once the ad was viewed it was worder to pay shipping of the price of $set amount which covered the cage & shipping alone . the term FREE is always a attention grabber im not super educated in wording advertisments but i have been told i word them well so all i can do i guess is continue to work on ways to grab attention but keep them changing as the same wording will as has proved in the past become boring and loose the interest of the viewing public. I have also placed ads here where i offer discounts to verifiable members of the site as a whole just to test the water so to speak to see how many sales are gained by offering members a deal that they cant get on a other site we know of . Now i know that cant be a totally fair assement in sales stand point but when offering the same product in two location and this one being $20less then the same item offered on another site the ad here doesnt produce a sell but yet the same add placed elsewhere has sold for a HIGHER RATE! LOL

JungleHabitats
06-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Back to my above below post..

I havent given up with using the classifieds here but i will admit it does atleast to me become some what frustrating to me when i offer the deals to members here that are not offered on another advertising venue where i pay to use .sometimes i feel like its alost cause to put the time in and the effort to offer deals to members here on items i sell . im working on ways all the time to make adds i place here inviting to users to make it worth the while to purchase here vs on the other site , and i realize that what i offer isnt a needed everyday item so i take that into thought also .. i dunno frustration sets in at times what do you do but grin and bareit lol

JJFOUTZ
06-16-2004, 12:49 PM
Maybe if you move the Highlighted ads now being offered notice above the actual highlighted ads might be enough to get more attention on the highlighted ads and they might not look so much like a notice. You could even make the highlighted ads notice an announcement in the classified section and unhighlight it so the highlighted ads are the only thing highlighted in the classifieds. Just more thoughts...

WebSlave
06-21-2004, 04:43 PM
I discussed this issue with my programmer and he verified what I had thought about a separated section for featured ads. It would be a very difficult hack to do. So I took an easier route and asked him to make the hi-lighting of the featured ads more flexible. I can now make the background color any color I want to.

I'm not sure how to handle the option of sticky and hi-lighted, sticky and not hi-lighted, or not sticky, hi-lighted. I can see where any one of the three options might be useful. A hi-lighted ad that just floats within the regular threads would stand out like a sore thumb to most people. And some have expressed interest in a non hi-lighted ad just stickied at the top of the forum.

So I don't know maybe I should just one flat fee and let you all chose what you want it to be. I would like to charge less than $5 per month for this, but with me getting into my busy season, it is all I would need to have this take off like wildfire and I would have to spend nearly every minute of my day managing it. This is a fully manual process so I have to change every ad for this option, plus mark my calendar when it expires or just try to scan every classified forum every day to try to catch the ones that have expired.

If this proves to be popular and brings in enough money, I would then strongly consider asking my programmer to completely automate this process. If I could get that to happen, I would be MORE than happy to lower the price substantially. But I need to see that it is worthwhile doing FIRST.

Anyway, I changed the background color on Alan's ads in the caging classified section to something that will stand out quite a bit. I'm sure everyone is going to have their own ideas about the best color for a hi-light, so I'm not sure how I will handle this either. If I automate it, I would have some sort of selection list that a user could pick from, I guess. But for now, I guess I'll just have to field suggestions about what is best. One color for all, or just pick different ones at random? Of course, there could be overkill with the colors, which would completely defeat the purpose.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Sorry I couldn't do the separate section, but I figured that would be a tough nut to crack.

JJFOUTZ
06-23-2004, 12:55 PM
I personally feel that the different colored background in the classifieds has helped the ads stand out much more than they did before. It is definatly an improvement. The floating highlighted ads do stand out like a sore thumb while on the first page. Good Job.