PDA

View Full Version : Question for the breeders about rack tub sizes

ms11779
06-01-2004, 01:30 AM
Hi
I'm going to be building an adult rack very soon now, and I was hoping some of you breeders could give me your opinion on something...

I have been noticing that most Rubbermaid tub sizes seem to be only 6" in height. Is this what most breeders use for their ball python adults and do the snakes seem fine in this?? (Not that they can speak to you about it exactly)

I have found that rubbermaid also makes tub #2141 which measures 9"x39"x16.25" this size would take up more space, but if it is much more appropriate to use for the snakes, I'd be more than willing to use it. I would be trying to get all of my snakes out to be handled regularly, but want their enclosures to be comfortable for them to move around in too.

I guess my main questions that I'd like opinions on are:
What size tubs do most breeders use to house their adults?
And Do the balls seem that they would appreciate the extra head space (height) of an enclosure enough to make a big difference?

Thanks for any opinions you can give me on this!!!!!! :)

CornNut
06-01-2004, 09:59 AM
I don't think they need or want a lot of headspace. I suspect that open space above them makes them feel vulnerable.

However, if you are going to let really big (like 3,000 + gram) girls maternal incubate you might need the 9" rather than the standard 6" because they coil up a ways when on a big clutch.

I'm using an apx. 24" X 36" X 6" tub they sell in 3 packs at Sam's Club. I like the extra width over the easier to find 16" wide tubs. However, especially if you go lidless, this tub isn't very tall (like only 5" without the lid). Seems like plenty of space now but I'm anxiously awaiting my biggest girl in their to lay her clutch to see how it looks.

Here is an article I wrote about racks for some friends whose city animal licensing people are concerned about rack systems.

http://snakemorphs.home.comcast.net/caging.htm

A lot of it's just my opinion but they do seem to do best in a rack. I also have some Neodesha’s with about the same floor space but much more exposure. They seem to do ok in there with hide pots but I’ve moved most everyone into the racks as I think they like the privacy better.

NEWReptiles
06-03-2004, 03:06 AM
I have been noticing that most Rubbermaid tub sizes seem to be only 6" in height. Is this what most breeders use for their ball python adults and do the snakes seem fine in this?? Most breeders do use bins that are about 6" tall. I use them and they seem to work perfectly.

All of the bins I use are 6" tall with the exception of the hatchling bins which are about 4" tall.
My adults are kept in rubbermaids that measure 16"d x 33"w x 6" t

ms11779
06-03-2004, 02:49 PM
Thanks guys. I keep hearing the same as what both of you have mentioned and it seems to make sense. 6" just seemed like a tight squeeze to me, but now that I think about it every snake I have just loves to sqeeze itself under it's hide or anything else thats around when I bring them out! :) This will help save me a bit of space and as long as the snakes seem to do fine I think it will work out great.
Thanks again!
:D