PDA

View Full Version : St Roberts Show

Lynn
06-07-2004, 01:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone went to the show in St Roberts Mo. over Memorial Day Weekend? I was thinking of setting up at the next show. How many people came? Any feedback would help.
Thanks in advance.

jim0602
06-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Hey Lynn Jim here from Oklahoma. Thank your lucky stars that you did not go. This was the most pathetic show ever in the history of reptile shows. It was a total joke right from the night before it even started. I don’t even know where to start but this is going to be a long one.
We will start with the night before. We arrived around9 pm with 8 8-foot tables reserved. When we get there it’s all 6 footers. Not a huge problem just needs to make up for the shortages. As soon as the second promoter showed up it all started. She was cussing and screaming at the top of her voice, in front of the vendors that were there, for not getting her way. There was a major argument over everything from who was where to who was doing what between the 2 promoters after 2 hours of debating on what to do they came to the conclusion that we could have 2 extra tables for the same price. Well 8x8 is 64-foot ad 10 x 6 is 60 feet. They seemed to think they were doing us a major favor by giving us 2 extra tables. Even though it was 4 foot shorter. Well ok we accepted it and went to setting up and needed more room. Absolutely no to us having more tables. They were already going to be short tables as it was. They were sold out. Well I thought to myself then yea right but o.k. After dealing with all the arguing and temper tantrum throwing it was time to go to the room at 2 am. So we get back around 7 am the day of the show and start getting everything ready. The show starts at 9 and I thought it was a little slow on vendors showing up since there were still 30 empty tables. So it hits 9 and still 30 empty tables. So 1 person in my group snags another table to spread out a little more. Well the power went out as the doors opened and was out for about an hour into the show. Great now we need flashlights to see what’s for sale and make sure nothing walks off. We get lucky and about an hour later we get juice again. Well now the shows going on and we go looking around at other vendors stuff for sale. No customers so might as well go chitchat. As I was looking around I noticed that 1 of the vendors was selling below wholesale prices. I mentioned this and the response I was given was yea he’s been banned from other shows for it. Now I don’t mind people lower priced than me. My problem was it was 90% animals on their deathbeds. Ball python babies for $12.50 or less that you could nearly see through. Now that’s not the main problem with dying animals being sold. What few customers that were there only knew price tag. They didn’t realize that this animal would be dead in a week. Now I must defend the vendor selling these animals. I did over hear him telling 1 customer that the ball was a little thin and needed fattening up. What very few customers that were there were only looking.kinda like the St.Robert zoo for the weekend. So now the shows close to over, that is if it ever really started. Everyone starts packing up and loading. I was just started and the promoter was on me like flies on flypaper saying she needed her money. Then made the comment that she wouldn’t charge for the 1 more table.ok so we wound up with an extra 4-foot at no charge. You would have thought the world was coming to an end over that. You know 30 empty tables at a sold out show and treat the vendors like $hit.other than the herp club I would say there were 20 tables sold. Then if the show in whole wasn’t bad enough it got worse for some.1 vendor sold absolutely nothing and had no money. Was there trying to raise some. Jim which is 1 promoter and a great guy in all ways did as he should of and told her no problem that she didn’t have to pay.O.M.F.G you would have thought the world came to an end. The other promoter came over and made a huge seen in front of everyone and told this woman she would pay that no one was free.yea she made her an extra $15.00 for that day but I can guarantee that vendor will never return and will tell everyone how she was treated. It was truly sad. Then as everyone is standing around 1 of the vendors tables collapses. Glass shatters and animals are probably hurt. All that was said is were not responsible. So we didn’t even make enough to pay for tables and gas to get there. And
from the other vendors I spoke with it was the same with them. I know we will never return and all of the other vendors I spoke with said the same. Jim is a great guy. His partner is verrrrrry greedy and only there for the money.dosen’t realize that without vendors there’s not going to be customers and without the 2 there’s not going to be shows. From what we heard from the locals there was no advertising of any kind. They hoped for word of mouth I guess. So truthfully unless Jim takes it over 100% it will be a total failure and certainly not worth driving more than 2 or 3 miles for. Lynn we have been at a couple of the same shows in the past and a couple have been bad. This was 10 times as bad. I really hate throwing Jim under the bus on his show but I really think he will agree with most if not all of what I say and he reads the forums and I’m sure will voice his opinion which I welcome. Sorry for the book all but it’s been boiling over for 2 weeks now and someone asked so I let loose.

Jim burns

Lynn
06-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Wow, Thanks for the replies...I sure am glad I went to the All Pet Expo instead....I am so sorry you and your reptiles went though all that. Does not sound like the kind of show I want to be involved with. Thanks again

sychoram
06-15-2004, 12:42 AM
Now that the fantasy is over, the truth. We had 300 paid people through the door, not as good as we expected, but better that we were told we would do.
Second, yes the city of St Robert screwed us on the tables, they promised us when we rented the space we would have 60 new 8' tables, we showed up saturday night and we had less than 60 6' tables. Funny the only crew that complained was the Tulsa crew, they reserved 8 tables we let them have 11 for the price of 8. We asked for them if that would acceptable and they were all happy.
We had East Ozark Reptiles there, I did not know they were banned from anywhere, but when Jim ask me the night before if I would make Jim raise his prices, I told him that price fixing was not my bag. Jim said good cause he could sell those redtails really cheap and still make a profit.
Yes Michelle blew a fuse, you know what noone had to move and noone was inconvienced. So that's a dead issue.

We don't hassle the vendors to pay their rent, but when show time is up its time to pay the rent. We have deadlines to meet as well.
We spent $1000.00 this go around on advertising and handed out over 1500 fliers. We advertised on 3 radio stations, reptile magazine, the local weekly trader and through the local vets.

We did everything in our power to make this a good show, we had some vendors no show on us, that happens. We fought memorial day and tornado warnings and still had 300 paid people. If that was a disaster, what wat the last Broken Arrow Show??

I like Jim, but I will not stand by and be stabbed in the back while someone is shaking my hand. OH and yes we lost power, well let see, being the electrical wizard that I am, maybe I should have said let there be light and that would have solved it.

As for The vendor with no sales, she brought very little with her, 2 hedgehogs, 1 pair of breeder ferrets a cockatiel and a used cage. Everyone out there knows the rules for show rentals, yes she paid the rent with a bad check, so we lost out. The fact that she won't be back is a shame, but if ya bring nothin' ya can't make nothin'.
As for the vendor who collapsed the table, we talked with him to make sure all his animals were ok, and from what I remember they were.
So that's it in a nut shell, basically the Tulsa crew showed up early, we busted our asses to help them out and theyhad a chip on their shoulder from the get go.

The other promoter will most likely be out after this show, I cannot speak for her, but I get the feeling she's gone. By the way, her husband didn't sell anything either, but his ass wrote me a check for his tables.

We will be back in the community center on October 24th that should resolve some of the location issues. We will update the website in July to let everyone know the particulars. We are stuck with the 6 foot tables, but we'll adjust for them.

We had 20 vendors show up out of thirty we had committments from. We had 38 tables filled, not including the three we donated to the Herp Society. And yes at 8pm the night before we had only been contacted by two vendors who said they would not be there so we were a little leary about stretching tables, but I stayed there til 5 am trying to round up extra tables to make sure we had enough if everyone showed. One was you Lynn (and that was my fault for misunderstanding you in Feb) The other was Anthony Christifano.

Thank Ya for your time and sorry for such a long message, but it needed to be addressed. I don't own a scanner, but if I can get access to one I will gladly scan the receipts for the radio stations and the weekly trader in.

Thank you again,
Big Jim

jim0602
06-15-2004, 10:46 AM
I’ll start with I’m not wanting to be an ass to you Jim. You do the show and it will be a good show in the future.i would still like to be friends and if you were the promoter we would consider returning. (But if 6' tables again we need 12-15).I spoke with every vendor there other than the t-shirt guy and I guarantee you we were not the only one's complaining. This includes the reptile society or who ever they were. The others may not have had the balls to face you with it.
The B.A. show. Well it doesn’t really matter to me how many people show up. I’m a vendor not a promoter so I look at cash spent. I made exactly $1173.00 more at the b.a. show than at the st.roberts.now that number may change.i took a $75.00 check from a pet store up there that bounced and still has not been paid so with service charges from my bank the # may go to $1251.50 and that would mean our total sales from st.robert was $35.00.these numbers are from my sales and not as a whole.
But I’m not pissy over not making any cash at the show. You do not control that. My main bitch was the fact that the vendor selling the animals below wholesale was selling garbage.theres no price fixing to it. The pet stores he deals to won't take it so let’s dump it on people that don't know any different. I may be wrong but I feel as a promoter you have a little bit of responsibility on the quality of animals offered for sale. He had ball pythons that may have made it out the door before they died. Albino burms that had been chewed up by rats. and so on.
And the chick with no sales. I totally agree. She should have brought stuff to sell and she should have paid her tbl.rent regardless of sales or not.We did.But my problem there was you had told her she didn't have to so that should have been the way it was. Also as she was writing the check she told you that it would not clear the bank when she wrote it.
We showed up 1 hour after you told us we could. There was already a half dozen others there so we were far from early.
No fantasy to my post just all facts.

jim

Karen Hulvey
06-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Please, whoever you are, email me about the sick animals.

FYI the albino burms were hatched by us THAT WEEK therefore they have never eaten and therefore never had ANY rodent near them so no bites. You're a liar. We still have them. As for selling below wholesale, when you breed your own animals you can sell them for whatever price you want to sell them fore. You're just jealous I guess.

As for the ball pythons, we still have them too. They didn't die.

Write me back, creep,
Karen

jim0602
06-15-2004, 05:01 PM
1st i never said it was east ozark reptiles jim said that.i really don't know who it was and don't care.
i find it very hard to believe that 3 foot burms were hatched out the week before.and i can guarantee you the balls i am refering to are the same c.b. in africa everyone has and not us born.no one sells healthy true u.s. captive balls for $12.50 ea.and anyway my complaint was not over the price but the quality.outright garbage.
jelous ???? hahahahahahahaha.i get jelous over nice animals not alot of garbage.but before you go to getting all pissy with me you may not be the person i'm refering to.i never said names and do not know names.there was more than 1 person there with balls and burms.

jim0602
06-15-2004, 05:03 PM
and the albino i'm refering to was sold.i know this because i was going to purchase it and keep till healed.it had several bite marks.

jim

Karen Hulvey
06-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Please enlighten us as to the show(s) East Ozark Reptile has been banned from. I would like names and placed please. This is not true.

Karen Hulvey
06-15-2004, 05:34 PM
We did have one that was larger but it didn't have any bites. I don't know who you're talking about but it wasn't us. And our balls weren't $12.50 either.
karen

Karen Hulvey
06-15-2004, 05:41 PM
I was told that people from OK were complaining specifically about OUR animals. The only sick animal I saw was a redfoot tortoise with one hugely swollen eye and one just starting to swell. I was told by the owner that the other eye was normal. NOT.
So if I offended you, I'm sorry. Our animals are not sick and we still have them.

Our burms were hatched the week of that sale. We did have one larger alb. burm from last year's hatch there too that we did sell.
Karen

sage1970
06-15-2004, 06:26 PM
I was a vendor at the St Robert show...

Yes, there were some problems, but they were fixed. The electric going out was an unforseen problem... not like it was planned. The tables being shorter than they were supposed to was something that was unforseen as well, the city promised the promoters 8' tables... they gave them 6'. I thought they did a pretty good scramble to make up the difference for everyone.

Despite the weather, the move of the show placement and the electricity I thought it was an ok show. I did alright with my sales.

My biggest complaint is against the female promoter... Big Jim was trying to handle everything in a calm and straight forward manner. Michelle came in ranting and raving and causing a big scene in front of all the vendors present! This is not the way to do business!!! I found her to be a very rude and unlikable person.... she just doesn't seem to care about anything but the bottom line. If she is involved with any future expo's I won't be including myself on their vendor lists!!!!!!!

Thanks to Big Jim for remaining calm when Michelle was acting like an idiot!!!!

Coach
06-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Jim,
I told you when you asked, that it would be a JOKE! Wasn't far off was I?? I've known you a long time, and I knew you would be UPSET to say the least, and I have known about James Maloy Jr. from 4 Macks pet shop for about 3 yrs. and why you would be SUCKING UP to him, even now is beyond me.!! My ranch is less than 45 min. from St. Robert and I wouldn't give those folks at the so called St. Robert Show or the pet shop there the time of day, I could tell you stories that folks have told me, about all the EXPERT ADVICE they get from the folks that work there and from the owners of the store who work it as well!! It's folks like that, that gives ALL Herpers a BAD NAME If any one has something to say, by all means PLEASE give me a CALL, I have nothing to HIDE, and my comments are FACT, NOT MADE UP EXPERT ADVICE!! For those of you who don't have my # it is 417-588-7900. Jim I'll talk to you later! Hope you learned a lesson!

Lynn (Coach) Peterson:hot:

sychoram
06-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Coach,
If you have proof post it if not see ya. Also, I have never claimed to be an expert, hell I'm always learning something about reptiles.

As for the East Ozark thing, I was told the problem vendor was the vendor in the front right hand corner, that would be East Ozarks position. I have seen East Ozark in St Louis and have not had a problem with them. Jim, if you could give us a location of the " offending" vendor, I can tell you who they were and will talk with them next time around. You can email it to me if you want to avoid this becomming a war.I did not check every animal that came through the door, I had too many other things to deal with to check everyone. Next time, I'll try to have the local vet do a pre show check, if this will settle the problem it will be well worth it.

Karen,
If you could let us know who told you they were complaining about you it would help as well. If you want you can email it to me to avoid this becomming a war.

Jim I realize you were not trying to be an ass to me, but you have to understand that as long as I have a partner in this show, I have to defend her. Its a matter of honor.

Karen Hulvey
06-15-2004, 10:50 PM
To Jim0602

You said and I quote
"I spoke with every vendor there other than the t-shirt guy and I guarantee you we were not the only one's complaining. "

I know of at least two vendors you DID NOT speak to (me being one of them) and who DID NOT complain about the 6' tables or the show in general.

I saw the ad for this show in REPTILES Magazine. I saw it advertised in 2 (TWO) different papers and heard it on the radio and I live 2 1/2 hours from the place.

Your accusations are way out of line and it just sounds like someone who didn't sell much and is crying over it.

Well buddy, I only sold 1 bird and 1 hamster and I'm not on here crying about it. It happens.

I did a bird show in Springfield, IL last year where only 7 buyers showed up. It was the show from hell. Oh well it happens. The month before there were over 700 people and everyone sold nearly EVERYTHING. IT HAPPENS.

This show had a lot of things against it from the get go.
1. Memorial weekend. It's time to camp, not buy reptiles.
2. Change of venue, people who came to the first show (which I was at and there were over 600 people) can't find it.
3. New show just getting started.
4. Tornado warnings (don't want to get blown away).

As for the lights going out, I don't think it was a preventable thing, at least by the promotors of the show.
It was a nice venue.

Then you're whining and crying about what people sell their animals for. Well, MYOB is what I have to say. You can sell way below wholesale when you have, say, 60 snakes hatching at once and you want to move them before you have to feed them.

As for WC baby balls. There's no such thing. Those animals are farm raised. You see they catch the mothers and hold them until they lay. Then they hatch the babies. So not wild caught, farmed.

I was late to the show because no one told us the venue had changed. But I'm not whining about it. IT HAPPENS.

I still want to know about the banned crap??? Where did you hear this? Names and places please. You see the 4 years I've worked for them they have done every St. Louis, South County and most Indiana shows they could do.

Karen

bcomp649
06-15-2004, 11:10 PM
My name is Bryan Compton. I am the husband of the promoter Michelle Compton.

Everyone,
I have had no involvement in the planning of the St Robert Show. My only stake is Michelle's involvement. When we arrived in St Robert we entered a room in disarray. All we new were the number of 8' tables that were supposed to be in the room. I almost turned around and went back home. Michelle came into the show, saw the issues and took charge. She spent most of the evening on the phone with the city trying to arrange additional tables and get 8' tables. She had marginal luck, but did get some 8' tables. She then spent the rest of the evening going to a biker rally with a large attendance promoting the show. I went back to the hotel and went to bed (I know it's off topic). She made sure table reservations from prepaid vendors were maintained. Because of the change in the room Jim and Michelle did not agree on the table layout. They were certain to meet their obligations to these vendors. If taking charge of a bad situation for profit means your a bitch, that may be her. Michelle being involved, and my future involvement, with the show will be an Improvement on the organization.

As for those of you who do not want to be associated with “the Female Promoter” please contact Michelle Compton or Bryan Compton @ 573.927.7387. We would be very interested in knowing specifics. We will be involved with the St Robert Reptile Expo in the Future.

Please everyone; let’s not forget that the promoters have to be profitable. Otherwise there could not be a forum for the vendors to sell their goods. The only responsibility of the promoter is to bring customers through the door and have vendors available to sell goods. The promoter cannot mandate what the customer should spend.

Thanks

jim0602
06-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Well Karen I’ve now decided it was you all. I did talk to you and the guy at your tables for quiet awhile on 3 or 4 different occasions. Not all of the animals were garbage. I had all intentions of buying many animals from your table but never got around to it and you all were packing up when I remembered. But the majority of the balls were terrible. 2 of the vendors in my group are licensed vets with there own practices and 1 is a vet tech.1 thing they do know is quality reptiles. And I certainly don’t need educated on ball python breeding.
The red foot you speak of was not ours and I did not see it but I do not dispute it.
My comments on the advertising were from the people I talked with that run the motel, the guests at the motel, people at walmart, and servers in the restaurant. Not 1 of them had heard about it. But I did only talk to maybe 20 or 25 people about it so it's not like I surveyed the whole town. But like I always do I headed them in our direction. I sold right at nothing but I’m not crying over it. I do 30-40 shows a year and lose money at a lot of them. I do agree it was very poorly planned event for that weekend and this is possibly why there was no one there and no one spending cash. I am not whining and crying about your prices in general because of competition. I really can’t do that since I gave away iguanas to get rid of them. I could have beaten your prices on most stuff but I don’t generally give my stuff away. And mind my own business. Well I was complaining to Jim because he was a friend. When someone like you all come in to the shows he will lose 10 other vendors that are not going to give there stuff away. He will not have a show if it comes down to your 2 tables, the reptile society, and him setup. He will still have your 2 tables at the next show but has lost our 12-15 and several others I spoke with. If he wishes to welcome wholesalers at his shows then it’s his decision not anyone else’s. I was trying to help myself with sales by not being lowballed but at the same time I was trying to help Jim. I’m sure I’ve done many many more shows than he has even attended but I may be wrong.
Brian I do agree that the promoters must also be profitable or you can’t put them on. But when the show is ran like a kindergarten class there’s problems. Part of the promoter’s responsibility should be to insure everyone is as happy as can be. Bend over backwards to satisfy all. Jim tried hard; Michelle tried at it for a little while.
Overall the show was a dismal failure but maybe they can turn it around next time.
jim

Karen Hulvey
06-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Jim

You did not talk to me. You don't even know who I am. I had the tables next to Larry & Debbie. I had birds & hamsters. We were along the wall and were next to the guy who had the mata mata turtles, then it was the T shirt guy and then Paula with birds and then the herp society. FYI we had the two baby bloods that everyone so liked but didn't buy. Maybe that will help to identify who we are.

The burms did NOT and I repeat NOT have any bites of any kind on them.I don't know whose burms you were looking at but it wasn't ours. They were born the week of the show and hadn't even shed for the first time. That is both albino and normals. We did have one from last year's hatch left and it didn't have any bites on it at all.

If those balls were so terrible, then why do we still have them? According to you they should be dead by now.
Well, we still have them and I fed some today. You can come to our pet shop and see them if you want to.

When you buy in quantity you get them for a much better price. Therefore we sell them cheaper if we buy them cheaper. The idea is to sell them, not keep them forever. We only double our price, not triple, quadruple, etc.

I don't think you know as much as you think you know about reptiles and snakes in general or putting on shows for that matter.

The person who had the redfoot told me she was a vet. So how many vets were at that show if she wasn't with your group? She told me that the redfoot just needed a little Baytril to get it well. She didn't bother to tell me that the Baytril has to be injected but I already knew that. She tried to tell me that one eye wasn't swollen at all but it was swollen. I breed redfoots and I know a swollen eye when I see it. As for selling below wholesale, that redfoot was $50. I've never seen a redfoot anywhere for $50.

The same person who had the sick redfoot had pairs of crested geckoes for $250. I mean come on, that's ridiculus.

I still want to know what we were "giving away"? Our balls were not $12.50. I still think you have the wrong people.

I did see a very skinny subadult blood python at the table on the left as soon as you walk in the front door and other than the sick redfoot that is the only truly poor animal I saw.

As far as giving animals away and lowballing everyone, you need to attend the St. Louis Reptile show this weekend. There is a guy who comes in and lowballs everyone. He usually has about 10 tables. He has everything and I mean everything. Savannah monitors for $10, Corn Snakes for $10, Balls for $8, Alligators for $50, Emperor Scorpions for $3, Fire Belly Toads for $1.50, Adult Tomato Frogs $15, Crickets 1000 for $8 etc., etc., etc. Yet that show is always sold out. As far as that show losing vendors, no that has not happened. As far as I know, no one complains about him. Hell half the vendors buy their stuff from him at the end of the show. Hmmmm maybe you don't know what you're talking about regarding vedors after all.

How is selling albino burms for $99 giving them away?????? I don't think our prices were that bad especially on the stuff we bought to resell. The stuff was priced a couple dollars less than the regular pet shop price. I mean come on I know what they bought the stuff for and I look at all the wholesale lists. Some people overprice their stuff so bad it's crazy. I don't think we should screw the customer.

As far as the stuff we bred, it is our perogative to sell it for what we want to sell it for. It's nobody's business.

Other vendors are not going to stop coming to shows because we have a few animals that are priced less than theirs. It hasn't happened yet, in St. Louis, in Indiana, in South County, so why would it happen in St. Robert?

If you want to overprice your stuff that is your choice, but don't try to make everyone else follow your rules.

IF you had a problem w/us, why didn't you state it at the show? I'm sure Larry would liked to have talked to you about it. He is very particular about his animals and I'm sure he would have liked to explain to you what healthy, newborn, ball pythons and burmese pythons look like.

What is bothering me so much is you made all these accusations and cannot back up a single one. You should have made these comments directly to Larry at the show and not on this forum weeks later. It's as if you didn't have the balls to confront Larry.

Karen

jim0602
06-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Like I’ve said from the beginning. I do not know who’s who there. I knew very few there. I did not say names till this last post. I still will not say yes it was your snakes. I really don’t know or even care .I did talk to a guy about 2 bloods. Not sure if yours. They were nice but overpriced for me to buy. The only burm I have stated that had bite marks was the larger 1.not all the babies in the corner. I buy my balls in 500 or 1000 lots but I still don’t think I should sell them to the public for $8.75 ea just because it doubles my money and I don’t want to feed them. I know well beyond what I need to know about snakes and reptiles. I don’t claim to know all there is to know about putting on shows. I only attend them. But I do know the way this 1 was run was 100% wrong.
I certainly wish I had seen the red foot for 50 bux.i surely would have bought it.
The balls were priced on the table for $15.00 ea but they took $12.50 from a customer.
As to talking with Larry about it. That’s not my show so it’s not my responsibility. I told Jim 1 time and dropped it. If he wants to allow wholesalers then fine. It’s his show. He can do, as he wants. It is not my concern if the show makes it or flops. Once again I no longer care.
This original post was not an Ozark reptiles post. It was an over all on the show. I never said names and had no intentions of doing so. I simply stated the show sukked for 99% of the vendors there and I would assume also for the promoters due to the lower than expected turn out. I don’t see where you think I haven’t backed up what I said. The only thing not backed up is the bite marks and that can now never be proven due to the snake being sold. I didn’t say the snake was eaten alive either. I did say I had planned on buying it but was to late.
And bringing it here weeks later?? I didn’t bring it here. It was asked and I replied. I think it was 8 days later. Not weeks.
Only time will tell with this show but in my opinion if done the way it was this last go around it will be a total failure. Now I’m no psychic and have been wrong before so I could be again. For Jim’s sake I hope it makes it.

jim

Karen Hulvey
06-16-2004, 09:57 PM
That $50 redfoot was from one of your tables, a vet owned it, and it is probably dead by now. My God, how many vets were at that show if she wasn't w/you? She also had an ornate uromastyx and a bunch of overpriced breeder geckoes.

The left eye was huge and the right eye was starting to swell. The animal needed medical treatment immediately which it did not get. No one in their right mind would buy it.

The animal was on its deathbed and I'm sure the stress of traveling did it in.

I'm sorry but I don't see you feeding 500-1000 BPs. If they are not fed, then that tells me you have thin ball pythons. So now who is selling sick animals? Animals who have never been fed? You crack me up.

No we didn't sell any balls for $12.50. They were $15. So what, we paid little to nothing for them just as you did. Again, we want to sell ours, not keep them forever like you and screw the public by overpricing things.

All this still boils down to you minding your own business. You had a bad day and you want to bring everyone else down too.

Apparently big Jim knows that he cannot dictate what people sell their animals for that's why he didn't bother to follow up on your complaint. But since you had so many complaints he probably just blew you off.

If the show was so bad, why aren't all the vendors complaining? Well except for the lady who brought 6 or was it 8 animals to sell and didn't sell anything.

8' tables, 6' tables, not the people putting on the show's fault.

Lights going off, not the people putting on the show's fault.

Vendors not showing up, not the people putting on the show's fault.

Buyers not buying, not the people putting on the show's fault. If you really do 30-40 shows a year, then you will know that traditionally summer is when people buy less.

No one showing up, Iffy on whose fault. I knew it was a holiday weekend and I knew it had a chance to backfire with people not coming. So every vendor should have known that too. Also the venue was moved, also not the people putting on the show's fault.

As for advertising, I saw plenty of ads and heard it advertised on the radio and I live 2 1/2 hours from St. Robert. So what if a Wal-Mart employee didn't know about the show. I'm sure 99% of St. Louis doesn't know about the upcoming show on Sunday but that doesn't mean it wasn't advertised.

I'm done with this stupid post.

You dissed good friends of mine and I took care of it. Good luck feeding your 500-1000 balls. Yeah, right.

Karen

Karen Hulvey
06-16-2004, 10:04 PM
You say you know nothing about the sick redfoot? I know you're lying now because I did a search w/your name and you have listed for sale on this very website EVERY animal that was on the SAME table with the sick redfoot including the ornate uromastyx.

C'mon now, yu said if you had seen it you would have bought it???? You already own it or at least the carcass.

I can't stand a liar and a crybaby.

Karen

sychoram
06-17-2004, 12:28 AM
Anyway, As a show promoter I may have made some mistakes, I take criticism fairly well, I don't hold a grudge. If you have a suggestion, complaint, comment, or just wanna shoot the sh%* at my show, I come around almost every hour to check on my vendors. Most people get tired of seeing me by the end of the day, but you know what, THAT'S MY JOB. If you think you see a problem, please let me know immediately, then this type of junk can be stopped before it becomes an issue. I will not tell someone what to price their animals at, but if it is a sick animal issue (these are my pet store customers that visit this show) I will ask it to be put away.

I believe that you should communicate with your vendors, in a calm rational manner, because without their input you never know what changes need to be made. I don't need to come in and take control of a situation, I'm here everyday trying to make sure those situations don't happen.

Maybe trying to take on Memorial day was a mistake, but at least as a promoter I took the chance.

As vendors I understand the sacrafices you had to make to be there and I am extremely grateful that you all took a chance with me. The future may bring a lot of changes to this show. Don't give up on me just because this show didn't go as well as planned.

Thank you
Big Jim
:)

Karen Hulvey
06-17-2004, 09:30 AM
James

I don't think the show was as bad as Jim is making it out to be.

He had the tables facing the food court didn't he?

As far as I can tell, he had the only sick and dying animal there, the redfoot with the swollen eyes. It was the only one priced well below wholesale at $50. He was trying to sell it before it died.
Redfoots that size sell for $85 on wholesale lists.
Then he lies and says that if he would have seen a redfoot for $50 he would have bought it. I did a search of his name on this site and all the geckoes and uromastyx that were on HIS table, the same table that had the sick tort, are for sale on this site.

I didn't have a problem with that show and I don't think many other people did either. I knew it was a chance with it being a holiday weekend. I've already done 17 shows this year, some good, some bad. I've never done one where a vendor disses another vendor he doesn't even know.

I have a serious problem with people dissing friends of mine and saying their animals would die before they got out the door. Then he says we are selling animals at wholesale prices. Well if we were selling animals at wholesale prices why didn't he buy the black bloods? No, not wholesale priced. Also our balls weren't priced at wholesale prices either, he said he buys his for $4 and change. So he needs to mind his own business.

He said he said these things to you because he was your friend. Well, James, with friends like him, you certainly don't need any enemies.

How does he expect to sell anything when he overprices his animals. I mean $250 for a pair of crested geckoes? All the other geckoes were overpriced too. He states his NIgerian uro male was captive bred. Yeah, right.

I've proven he is a liar and I'm not going to back down.
Karen

MikeAnthony
06-17-2004, 09:40 AM
I went to that show with a group of friends. I buyed 1 of those 15 dollar ball pytons. My frined did too. I want to knw that if is sick what do I do. Will it make my corn snake sick? I feed mine 2 x a week fuzze mice and my friend feeds his the same way. They are eating and acting fine too.

jim0602
06-17-2004, 09:43 AM
karen you keep stretching here.show me where it says i feed 500-1000 balls ????? no you can't.now your crying over lisas prices beign to high..when you have quality you can get the prices.i do admit i thought they were way outta line also.but the next weekend alot sold.yep you see me selling alot of the lizzards she had.we worked out a deal and i bought all the lizzards she had..but 1 thing you don't see is a red foot now do you ?? now if and i say if she had the red foot which it sounds like she did then theres 2 things to say.1 she should not of had it for sale or 2 she did point out a problem with it,she did say it needed medical attention,and she was selling for 1/3 to 1/4th of it's value.not selling it as a healthy animal.now you need to make up your mind.you say you sold a bird and a hamster in 1 post.then you sold snakes.which is it ??? your the only person to come here and say anything good and all you sold was a bird and a hamster in your own words.not even the promoters have said anything good about the show.
you need to look at what forum this is .it is the shows and events forum.if you wish for this to continue as an attack on ozark reptiles which i guess is your friends and myself then it will need to go to the boi which is where b.s. like this belongs.

jim

jim0602
06-17-2004, 09:45 AM
mike no one other than karen has said the snakes were sick.from what i saw none were sick.they were thin.if you get it to eat you will probabaly have a good snake.but a ball python is not going to eat 2 times a week every week.

jim

jim0602
06-17-2004, 09:48 AM
once again karen showing her ignorance...noipe not me facing the food court.

jim

Karen Hulvey
06-17-2004, 09:52 AM
The redfoot is not there because it died, simple as that.
Yes i only sold two things, not snakes. I helped my friends w/their table. I think it was pretty clear which table I had if you can read and comprehend the previous posts.

The poor promoters have been screwed coming and going and complaining about not getting people there isn't going to change anything. They did, IMO, all they could to get people there.

Who cares what forum this is. It all boils down to who started the crap about my friends selling crappy animals. You posted about my friends, I was told about it and I responded.

You need to apologize and get it over with. The only truth about that show is your table had the only sick and dying animal on it.

You shouldn't post if you can't take the heat. As for this being BS, yes it is, you're full of it. You need to accept responsibility and apologize and drop it. That's the only way it's going to end.

KARENNNNNNN

jim0602
06-17-2004, 09:56 AM
apologize ????? now you have really lost your mind. go find where i said there was 1 sick animal on there tabel .nope you can't because i didn't say it.and you have me confused with 2 ladies.i can guarantee you i am no lady.

jim

Karen Hulvey
06-17-2004, 09:57 AM
I'm not ignorant but you're an idiot.

In case you can't figure out how to go back and reread your posts, here is what you wrote:

My problem was it was 90% animals on their deathbeds. Ball python babies for $12.50 or less that you could nearly see through. Now that’s not the main problem with dying animals being sold. What few customers that were there only knew price tag. They didn’t realize that this animal would be dead in a week.

These animals are not dead, what is it now, 3 weeks later. If you didn't mean sick, then what did you mean. You're a complete A$$ and an idiot to boot.

What's with you, apologize and get it over with. You're totally in the wrong.

Karen

jim0602
06-17-2004, 09:58 AM
wheres the word sick in my post??

jim

Karen Hulvey
06-17-2004, 09:59 AM
You were with the OK crew and had, what was it, 11 tables. Well if you weren't with them, then how did you have 11 tables?

And all the animals they had with the only sick animal there was with the animals you now have for sale on this very site. Very interesting.

Karen

Karen Hulvey
06-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Thin and dying before the week's out = sick in mine and most anyone's book.

The fact is you made false, hurtful statements and I've called you on it.

jim0602
06-17-2004, 10:12 AM
the fact is i keep showing you to be wrong on everything you say and now you are digging.i have never said the animals were sick.not 1 time.i said nothing about anyone specific till you opened your mouth.you are the only 1 making anyone look bad.and the worst part about it is that it's your friends.
i was with the oklahoma crew but theres 4 or 5 different vendors that run together.you are not getting anywhere other than making yourself and them look bad.so i bought out a dealer and am now selling them here on this site.for a much better price i will add.as i've done for close to 2 yrs now.

jim

Karen Hulvey
06-17-2004, 10:20 AM
No the fact is you said that 90% of their animals were dying which is a lie and I'm going to call you on it.

Come to the shop, all the animals are there and will be at the show Sunday.

Where did you show me to be wrong?
i've proved you wrong many times especially with the only animal on its deathbed being on an OK table.

The fact still remains that you cannot tell people what to sell their animals for and if you don't get your way you say that 90% of their animals are on their death beds and will die before the weeks' out.

I take exception to that. You need to MYOB.

MikeAnthony
06-17-2004, 10:31 AM
Jim
I read in yur first post andt you talked about dying thin animals and it would be dead in a week. Thats why i thought it was sick. Now i read all posts and man this is a mess.

Oh and My friends male adult ball eats twice a week except when hes shedding.
mike

bcomp649
06-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Mike,
This is Michelle, If you need information on your ball python, please call me at 573-927-7387. I do not feel you have a sick animal. The gentelman who sold it to you is reputable. I have delt with him for about 3 years now. I can get you in contact with his store if you like.

sychoram
06-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Mike,
Bring your ball in the next time you get feeders and I'll check it over. I doubt it was sick. I've seen several from that batch already and they seem to be doing fine. If you are really concerned you can take it to Rolla Animal Hospital and have Dr H check it out. Noone can tell you if its healthy over the phone not even the vet.

As for the promoters not saying anything good about this show, let see I've got vendors saying they sold little, if I say I did good I'm an ass. If I say I didn't do good I would be lying. Kinda a tough spot. For me personally the show went great. My table made good money, the Herp society took in a lot of donations and did well on the food tables as well, and I did ok on the promoter side as well. So for me it was a good show.

BUT, If I had even one vendor that was unhappy, then somewhere as promoters we didn't do our job. I appreciate the efforts you all made as vendors to come to this show. It took guts to do so, on a holiday weekend.

Big Jim

MikeAnthony
06-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Thanks everyone for concern for my snake. I think its fine, i was just worried a little after reading here but it looks like two people just fightin.

It acts fine and eats and after readin some ball python websites I found that a snake that is dying doesnt eat. Mine eats likea piggy and so does my friends snake.

the only animal at the show i saw that looked bad was a turtle with big eyes. I thought htaat looked weird. the other turtles there didnot have large eyes. i dont know why one seller would say 90% of another sellers animals are on therre deathbeds but i didn't notice anything that looked liek it woudl die. i'm no expert either.

Mike

mike

sychoram
06-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the update Mike. Glad to hear its eating for you. I hope you have many years of happiness with your new pet

Big Jim

Princesskelleye
06-18-2004, 01:05 AM
Hello there my name is Kelli, my husband and I run the KC Reptile show here in Kansas City.
This is just a valid point to those who try and start shows that things can happen. Vendors don't show up, you loose electricity, etc......
I do know that we were accused of not advertising for our show by someone on this post and therefor not having a billion people in the door........
We advertise in newspapers, radio, flyers, restaurants, nail salons, - you name it and we do it. The point is that things may happen and like it was stated before some are good and some are bad. You have to take the good with the bad- that is a fact of life in everything that we do, but please for the sake of my well being and yours.... worry about what you are doing. As vendors we have no reason to lie about where and how we do our advertising- if you have ideas let us know that is why we ask.
And as for the comment about the OK show- that was uncalled for and should not even be a part of this post.
We are very fair and work with everyone.
If you or anyone you know would like to be a vendor at one of our shows please let us know!
913-341-7389!
Thanks
Kelli Cruse

Karen Hulvey
06-18-2004, 08:32 AM
Kelli

Hi, the person who made the comment about the OK show also made false, hurtful statements about a vendor he doesnt even know saying 90% animals on their deathbed, thin aniamls that will die before the week's out. Animals sold below wholesale. If those animals were dying, why am I still feeding, watering and cleaning up after them and will pack them up Saturday nite to take to a show Sunday? His statements are false and I won't let it drop.

He apparently needs to lie to make himself feel big or something.

I think he needs to apologize, plain and simple.

Karen

Princesskelleye
06-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Actually it was a female on this post- I am not trying to get nasty at all on here, but my point is this just goes to show that sometimes things don't matter. ( vendors, advertising, etc....) you can't hold everyones hand to make sure they come regardless of how much you advertise or vendors say they will be here!

Lynn
06-18-2004, 11:51 AM
We had 20 vendors show up out of thirty we had committments from. We had 38 tables filled, not including the three we donated to the Herp Society. And yes at 8pm the night before we had only been contacted by two vendors who said they would not be there so we were a little leary about stretching tables, but I stayed there til 5 am trying to round up extra tables to make sure we had enough if everyone showed. One was you Lynn (and that was my fault for misunderstanding you in Feb) The other was Anthony Christifano

I e-mailed you on May 24th wanting to know who Lynn's Dragons was. When I found out it was me I sent you a email stating I was not going to be there, to take my name off the list.. Yes, It was a misunderstanding. When we talked at the Broken Arrow show I told you I was Interested, to send me some infro. You gave me a flyer. I told you then, That my friend Irene(the one selling crickets) would not drive that far.. I also stated that I would have to talk to Sprocket, (my husband) as I do not drive. I would have to ok it with him. I also said it would be tough because of the holiday weekend. I did not call you the night before or email you the night before. I would not do that to a show promoter unless if was a EMERGENCY. Good luck with your show..

Inside Out
06-18-2004, 04:17 PM
Lets see.
I really hate to start on this subject but I just can't leave it alone.
The odds were working against this show from the start.

1. The move

The move was the first point of trouble. But when a vcounty offical needs the community center for a family gathering and the city book keeping was a mess the reptile folks lose. That was a matter of take what you can get or no show.

2. The Tables

The table issue was just as shocking to those involved as well as the vendors. There were a few 8' tabes brought in but that was by a herp member that was trying to help out.

3. The Date

Yes it was a holiday weekend. Plus not to mention the weather hassle.

4. The Power

That was beyond the control of anyone. A few vendors still had power to the tables. Not many but a few. The fact it took an hour to be turned back on was due to the city. The breaker panel was located in a room that they did not know who had the key for.

I spent many hours at the show. I was there from the time we started to set up till 3 am sitting with Jim after it was as set up as it could have been trying to figure out what more we could do. Then returned at 6:30 am.

This is on top of the many hours I put on behind the curtain.
I gain nothing out of this other than the satisfaction of seeing a good show.

I spent hours walking around this show the animals that I saw all seemed to be doing fine.
I have seen alot worse at other shows.

As far as the selling of the animals. All vendors are there for the same purpose. To make money and move the animals !! Thats the bottom line.

Karen Hulvey
06-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Kelli

I'm sorry, I stand corrected.

Karen

Karen Hulvey
06-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Mike,
If you have questions about your ball python, you can call our shop, 573 747-0469. I have the rest of the balls from that clutch and they are all fine.

Karen

sychoram
06-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Lynn,

You are correct. What I meant to say was that by 8pm Saturday night we only had 2 that had contacted us. I wasn't trying to imply that you waited to notify us. My point was that we were a little leary about stretching tables because we had only had 2 say they wouldn't be there. Lynn notified us in plenty of time. We e-mailed each other and I understood that you wouldn't be there.

Thank You
Big Jim

Lynn
06-20-2004, 02:33 PM
Thank you Big Jim....

rtrader4sale2
07-03-2004, 09:45 PM
I am trying to reach Jim Burns (jim0602) requarding balance due for bird. On 04/13/04 Jim agreed to trade a Goffin Cockatoo chick for a male Goffin breeder the chicks were due to hatch in about 3 weeks so I said ok. After about 4 weeks he said the chick had died and would send a check I said ok thanks. About 2 weeks passed still nothing. Made contact with jim again said sorry must not have been mailed I will be going to the St. Roberts show this weekend will be coming through there can deliver money I said ok thanks just call me when you get close I will meet you at I-44 said ok by. Sunday came never called tried calling never reached him. Got him through email and said would send again through mail. Never arrived, Reached him on 06/29/04 he I will send it today through Fedex it will be there on 07/01/04 I will send conformation number to you tonight. I agreeded and waited nothing and havent been able to get him on the phone or through email. I am looking or his home phone and address. I dont expect anyone to give it to me but if you could email me with your info or I can send you mine if you email me I will put you in contact with the local courts. I will be filing against him on Monday 07/05/04 and would apriciate any help. I can provide anyone interested in the emails and the contract signed by Jim to show that this is legit before they give any info I am new to the BOI because I have never had this problem through here before.
Jim please contact me through email or through a post to avoid Court cost thanks Jim

Rob Malcom

PS
Message was written better but got deleted thanks

Feisty78
09-04-2004, 10:22 PM
I see there is another Show in St Robert. Mo in October.
I haven't noticed any thing as far as advertising being done this time. Last show I saw Information on a few cars and other places throughout town.

Is there going to be a Show?

If so how many vendors can we expect to see this time?

I really enjoy the shows in St. Robert. It's nice to have something in this area like that.

Inside Out
09-05-2004, 02:31 AM
Well all I can tell you is that the building has been reserved. As far as vendors who knows.
I know the Herp Society isn't planning on helping out like they have in the past. Thats not a rumor btw as it's comming from the Vice President of the Club.

Princesskelleye
09-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Just a quick question as to why the Herp Societys never do help out??? What is the big issue?......... I have been wondering this for awhile and have never asked it yet!
THanks, Princesskelleye

sage1970
09-05-2004, 05:15 PM
As a member of the Tri County Herp Society, let me say that we did help out alot with the previous show located in St Robert. The reason we did this is that we were asked if we wanted to help by one of the promoters of the show, Big Jim.

This show is being ran by the Comptons mainly and we have not been contacted in any way about helping out with the show coming up. As they are in charge of all advertising, I would think they would contact us if they were interested in our helping out. Even if they would contact us at this late of a date, we have a lot of commitments already planned for the Society. We are a small Society at this point, and while steadily growing stronger, we do not have enough people to be able to just jump in at any time.

At the previous show we did not have to "rent" the kitchen or pay for a table at the expo. These additional costs make it hard for the Society to be able to be present at the show. While we would all love to be able to do things out of the goodness of our hearts, lets be honest, if it isn't going to benifit the club to help out in some small way even, why should we bust our butts like we did last time?!

This may not be the opinion of the other Tri County Herp Society members, but it is mine. Please don't hold any of the other members liable for what I have said.

Thank you,

Paula

sychoram
09-05-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Princesskelleye
Just a quick question as to why the Herp Societys never do help out??? What is the big issue?......... I have been wondering this for awhile and have never asked it yet!
THanks, Princesskelleye

A lot of times the Herp Societies find themselves at odds with the promoters of a show or even worse are competition with them. You wouldn't expect Pet Co to help Petsmart would you?? In St Robert we have a unique situation, the members of the herp soc have in the past been excited about helping with this show, I know the put many hours of work into the previous two shows. I owe them a debt of gratitude that cannot be measured. They have been the extra legs and hands that I needed to fulfill my obligation.

As for the present show, I dunno what's going to happen. I am still waiting for a vendor list from the other promoter so we can update the web site, soon as I recieve it we'll get a vendors list up and running again.

Big Jim

Inside Out
09-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Nicely Put

Originally posted by sage1970
As a member of the Tri County Herp Society, let me say that we did help out alot with the previous show located in St Robert. The reason we did this is that we were asked if we wanted to help by one of the promoters of the show, Big Jim.

This show is being ran by the Comptons mainly and we have not been contacted in any way about helping out with the show coming up. As they are in charge of all advertising, I would think they would contact us if they were interested in our helping out. Even if they would contact us at this late of a date, we have a lot of commitments already planned for the Society. We are a small Society at this point, and while steadily growing stronger, we do not have enough people to be able to just jump in at any time.

At the previous show we did not have to "rent" the kitchen or pay for a table at the expo. These additional costs make it hard for the Society to be able to be present at the show. While we would all love to be able to do things out of the goodness of our hearts, lets be honest, if it isn't going to benifit the club to help out in some small way even, why should we bust our butts like we did last time?!

This may not be the opinion of the other Tri County Herp Society members, but it is mine. Please don't hold any of the other members liable for what I have said.

Thank you,

Paula

sychoram
09-07-2004, 08:53 PM
So I am told today that this show is even more up in the air. It seems the Comptons have sold their half off to some mysterious person. Hopefully now we can get this moving along and get some vendors and restore this show to the way it is supposed to be.

Big Jim

Feisty78
09-09-2004, 06:14 AM
So when will we know what happens to the show?

sychoram
09-20-2004, 01:54 AM
I do not know, but as soon as i do know something, I'll let everyone know.

Big Jim

sychoram
09-20-2004, 09:31 PM
Seems to me the show is on this is the email I got from my soon to be x partner's husband

Jim, as you stated, your job is to do my grunt work for the show. As the primary organizer, please consider this a formal notice that the show will be held on october 24. DO NOT cancel the room. We are working the fine details of the sell of the show to Mike Garrett. As a side note, I am concerned for the stunt you are trying to pull on the saturday before the show. Do you honestly think this will work? I noticed in the herp meeting notes that you opposed the show on saturday before ours. Is this true? Who is reptile works?

Bryan Compton
Hellebusch Tool & Die
Washington, MO 63090
636.239.2893 (fax)
compton@htdinc.com

Atleast now we can go out and get some vendors so there will actually be a show. Finally someone willing to do the work required to actually promote a show

Big Jim

Inside Out
09-21-2004, 06:56 AM
Well atleast now everything seems known.
Nice to know there will be a show still.

Inside Out
09-21-2004, 07:02 AM
Ever wonder if this should move elsewhere. Not many Show advertisements get 13-14 pages long