PDA

View Full Version : Opinions are like...

Seamus Haley
06-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Well, we all know how the phrase ends and it's not appropriate language for this forum.

Anyone else ever notice how people tend to gauge the intelligence of others based on how closely their opinions mirror our own?

Anyone who agrees with me... they must be a genius of high order... anyone who dares to disagree must be suffering from debilitating head trauma.

Then once in awhile some shows up, disagrees with things you hold true and can prove that they might not be a complete moron and forces a very minor change in general outlook... Until that next idiot who disagrees anyway.

Yeah, the point being I've got this buddy who thinks that "Are you Being Served" is better than "Fawlty Towers" and up until he expressed this opinion I was pretty sure he was an intelligent and reasonable human being. He's got a good hundred and eighty pounds on me (most of it muscle) so it's not entirely safe to start tossing out friendly "What are you, stupid?!" comments unless I want him to toss out one of those friendly "Whoah, sorry man, let's get you to the ER and stop the bleeding." comments but maybe he can be pursuaded if enough others actually agree with me.

'course I might not be that bright and entirely in the wrong here but... :D

Dianne Johnson
06-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Okay, I must admit that I love "Are You Being Served" as I've watched it a number of times. I've only seen a couple of episodes of "Fawlty Towers" so I know I don't have a fair comparison though. Either way, I love British comedy and I 'get' their sitcoms...more than I can say for most of the American sitcoms anyway. :D

Dianne

Glenn Bartley
06-21-2004, 12:47 AM
Decisions, decisions and this was a tough one to make. FT was funny as was AYBS, as were your other two choices. I had to go with AYBS probably only because I ahve seen many more of them. They were about as equally funny in quality so quantity won out. FT must not have had as long a run as AYBS.

When it comes down to it though I prefer Red Dwarf for British comedy. Other good ones were Mr. Bean, or the Black Adder which was pretty good too if seen from the beginning. Of course how could I fail to mention Benny Hill.

The best hands down Brit comedy show was Monty Python, and the next best was Red Dwarf, in my opinion.....

lostkauze
08-21-2004, 11:36 AM
Well, since we're talking about British comedies, I haveto vote for Mr. Bean, with Monty is a close second.

Michael

zebeck
08-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Well this is hard because the shows are so different.
Fawlty Towers is immediately and obviously hysterically funny. Whern you first watch it even if you know nothing about it, you laugh in like the first ten minutes.
Are You Being Served takes time to grow on you.
The first four or five episodes of "served" that I saw actually bored me.
I kept watching and now I think its a very funny show.

But if i had to pick i'd say that "Served"is more clever and more insidious but "Towers" is just plain funnier.

TooManyBurmese
09-13-2004, 02:57 PM
I only agree with you all the time so you won't give me a verbal thrashing hee hee.