PDA

View Full Version : Accused of Poisoning Neighbors

IvIountainman
06-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Please read artical on my web site. Its a little long to post in thead. Feedback is welcomed.

www.iamhome2.com/rat (http://www.iamhome2.com/rat)

IvIountainman
06-10-2004, 10:57 PM
I've was operating a small business in my home as a hobby for over a year, feeding my own stock and providing for all my friends.

As of June 10th 2004 the business is absolved. No future sales will be made.

The main reason for this close of business is based on a complaint from my current neighbor who lodged a complaint to the local township. They stated the way I kill my rodents was by gas, and the gas was leaching into their home and making their children sick.

Their statement is just absurd, I used compressed nitrogen gas to fill a container to humanely euthanize all rodent stock. This method was given to me by another business. Nitrogen gas is an inert gas that makes up more then half the air we breathe everyday.

If my neighbors children are getting sick, they should look at them selves, as the children are rarely allowed outside. One is so skinny he appears to be malnourished. Could it be that this family who already states publicly without being asked that they suffer from chronic illnesses, which was prior to moving in as my neighbors are just hungry to blame all their problems on who ever they see fit or is close enough at the time.

As a further result of this complaint, the local township fined my townhouse management for allowing me to operate a business in a residence. I did to my defense have a federal and state business license. With me not having a open door policy I was unaware I had to apply for a local permit. My fault entirely, I should have done more research. I sold rats and mice and have no objection getting rid of all live rodents. Management decided to take it out on my snakes as well. They gave me 10 days to get rid of all my snakes and rodents. The majority of my snakes are of a small size and all are non-venomous. Management was asked over a year ago if I could acquire snakes and I was told verbally that they didn't have a problem with it if they were secure and not poisonous. But now I am being told I don't have it in writing. I was told that the pet clause states PET singular not plural.

Snakes are tank animals and fall in the same classification as fish. Next management is going to say you can only house one fish in your home. The tenants in these apartments and townhome's have a wide assortment of pets. To tenants knowledge the ONLY pets not allowed are dogs. Tenants in my complex have poisonous spiders, poisonous lizards, lizards, poisonous frogs, frogs, poisonous fish, fish, poisonous organisms (coral), birds, gerbils, hamsters, mice, rats, snakes, crickets, worms, grubs, insects, and cats.... OMG CATS cats and more cats. Cats everywhere.

Many tenants have complained of the cat population in the complex and were told that nothing can be done.

But my simple corn and king snakes, which are non-venomous have to go because my neighbors made an absurd story of thier children getting sick, off the fumes of the inert non-toxic gas I use to humanely euthanize all rodent stock.

This is just my personal little gripe and are my own opinions, names and addresses are withheld

Sybella
06-11-2004, 12:12 AM
That really sucks. I'm soooo sorry.

Will you be moving? I would move before I gave up all my snakes.

Glenn Bartley
06-11-2004, 10:28 AM
Well this i just my opinion, but here goes: I think you may have a legal or moral obligation to report your neighbors to the local child welfare authorities if one of their children actually looks malnourished and if they seem to be miscaring for their children.
Asd to your snakes and rodents, that stinks but my bet is that the management of your complex is within the confines of the renatl agreement. If you were not following the agreement, well you will wind up the loser. It is always best to get it in writing. Hopefully you can approach them again about the snakes, and get them to relent.

IvIountainman
06-11-2004, 09:22 PM
I have started an arangment with management to allow 5 snakes. This still is heart breaking as I have 13. :*(

I don't wish to move nor can I readly afford it. So kissing managements butt may be what I have to do.

As for the neighbors, a call is going out to Child welfare on monday morning.

PS. How do you report somone who has epilepsy and drives a car?
My neighbor (father) has epilepsy. And the other parent claims to suffer from comma states. She says that it just comes on her and she sits in a comma for hours to days. (bullsh*t if you ask me). Told you my neighbors are wacked.

Glenn Bartley
06-11-2004, 09:52 PM
I don';t know if epileptics can drive or not. Heck I live in NY, back here they let people drive who find licenses in boxes of Cracker Jacks!

Good luck with management. Maybe you can get someone to hold onto your other snakes for a while then get the managers to relent and let them all back.

Sybella
06-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Here in California, epileptics can drive if their doctor gives the DMV a statement that the seizures are controlled. So, all one has to do is report to the DMV that the person is an epileptic and it will investigated.

So, which 8 will you be parting with?

Stardust
06-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Here in MI if someone has a seizure they cannot drive for one year after the seizure then after that as long as there have been no other attacks and they are under medical care and meds they can drive again. I believe it probably varies from state to state, you should definitely check it out.
That seems, from what you are saying, one whacked out family.
Good luck on being able to keep your snakes. Perhaps if you can show them that those types of snakes present no danger and that you have them contained very well they will relent.
Again Good Luck.

elago
06-18-2004, 10:57 AM
In the US, there are many who just don't understand why one would want to keep serpents and/or raise mice... I was at a flea market in Tupelo, MS a few months ago with my g/f Joanne, and we had some available colubrids for sale at the time, kings and milks mostly, and a couple corns. The local pet store here in Oxford had a display table at the market, and they invited us over if we wished to go and set up on a corner of their pet shop setup for free as they weren't taking over any herps for sale, so we decided to make the drive... Joanne had pulled out an adult male 50/50 B/W cal-king to show some interested buyers, and the people at the booth across from us just started screaming "ARE YA CRAZY? ARE YA STUPID? THAT THING'S GONNA KILL YOU! THEY LET YA IN HERE WITH THAT?" Ect. (You'll have to interject your own southern Drawl LOL, we are in MS after all!!!! :) But DUH, we were at a pet store's table which was selling animals). In "Bible Belt" US, people just have a huge misinterpretation of the animals we keep, and it's this lack of knowledge and close-mindedness which threatens our hobby (and hobbyists) as a whole. There will always be persecution of keeping collections in apartments (I myself had to buy a home to keep my stock after living in an apartment, after they decided "oh no, this won't work!"), so I can completely understand where you're coming from, and wish you only the best of luck in keeping your precious animals... -Eric Lago *MS Reptilian Hobbyists*
http://msreptilianhobbyists.fabpage.com

ShannanD25
06-18-2004, 01:31 PM
It is my understadning, being a PA resident, that if one has seizures at any times the license is revoked for one year regardless of a doctor's note. I only know this as I work in mortgages and we have dealt with unique situations and we have a client at this time that no longer works as her license was revoked due to epilepsy(cant spell). As there may be more to it, I can't say 100% this is what PA does.

In my old condo in MD, I was fined $100 because I had 9 flower pots (of flowers) on my porch and you were only permitted 8.....
And I owned it! It was the stupid association!
So in retaliation I PLANTED flowers everywhere...right before I moved back to PA.
Sorry off subject!

Good luck with your snakes and I hope they let you keep them all!
I hope you report your neighbors for the sake of the kids.

Take care

Double "D" Reptiles
06-21-2004, 11:49 PM
Yes, most states vary somewhat on the fine points of the time frame, but the gist of it is still the same. I'll use as an example the I went through with a single episode 9 1/2 years ago in Texas. I could not drive for 6 months after the seizure. If I had chosen to go on a medication for which no reason could be made at that time, then I would be able to drive again in 3 months time provided no further episodes occurred. If I ever went off of the medication, either volunarily or under doctor's directions, then I would again be disallowed driving privelages for 6 months minimum provided no further episodes were recorded.

A real pain in the backside, but I took it in stride with no meds and not a single problem since. Doctors determined that it was severe job-related stress and ever since I've just had to monitor the amount of stress I allow myself to be under.

As for the size of the child, take into account the parents' stature and overall size. I was an extemely small child as well (not large as an adult) and kids do develop in stages. Use caution but don't be afraid to make a call if warranted. The "comma-like states" of the mother sounds more like drug-induced states OR another form of seizures (there are 4 distinct types and that is one symptom of 1 type.) It could be a case where the children are in the shape they're in due to neglect based upon parental medical conditions (no excuse) and/or similar medical conditions of the children themselves.

Hate to hear about the snakes. Guess that's one reason to live where we do, in the sticks (so to speak) and owning your own place. Hope all works out well. Check your rent agreement for possible discriminatory language in regards to all pets, their stated classfication(s) and any language not spelled out. It can work both ways...if dogs are the only pet explicitly not allowed, then all others can be allowed...if you can own 5 hamsters and a tankful of 25 fish, then that's actually 30 pets as you alluded to earlier. Don't be shy about demanding exacting adherance to the clauses by one and all...yourself included. If all other pets are addressed by species name and yet snakes and lizards are not, then current rules can not apply. Read carefully and good luck.

David

IvIountainman
06-25-2004, 12:04 PM
I'm sorry for not keeping the thread informed on what has been progressing. Below you will see some letters that have been exchanged from myself and the Head Managment of:

York Village Townhouses & Apartments
811 West Alvin Street
Hanover PA 17331
(717)632-5053

http://www.iamhome2.com/apartment/1stmontgomery1.jpg
Reply:
http://www.iamhome2.com/apartment/yorkvillagedispute1.jpg
http://www.iamhome2.com/apartment/yorkvillagedispute2.jpg
My Reply:
http://www.iamhome2.com/apartment/1stmontgomery2a.jpg
http://www.iamhome2.com/apartment/1stmontgomery2b.jpg

Managment had also scheduled on the 10th of June 2004 to return to my townhouse apartment on the 21st of June 2004 to verify I closed my business and had no rodents. They did not reply to my last letter or show for thier scheduled appointment.

Rick Freyser

IvIountainman
06-25-2004, 12:22 PM
My neighbors who came up with the absurd story I was poisening their children with a toxic gas (actually compressed nitrogen gas), are:
Donny and Wanda (unknown last name)
820 West Alvin Street
Hanover PA 17331

With them having already made lies to cause me trouble, I have decided to hold back on calling Child Welfair untill I have moved. As thier son Cory age above thirteen (13) is clearly in need of medical attention for his skeleton is showing like that of a severe anorexia suffer'.

I will not be calling the Department of Transportation (DOT) on Donny as I have not witnessed any seizures, and believe it to be atleast one (1) year since he had one.

I will be notifing the Department of Transportation (DOT) of Wanda for her constant admissions of lapsing into a comma state with no medical attention.

I just want to get back to my laid back life and continue my attempts to cross breed for some exotic Jungle Corns.

Rick Freyser

bullcowman
10-01-2004, 05:17 AM
People can be so ignorant.
Did you move out? hopefully to a bigger, better place.

man your story got me pissed off, especially after i read the letters

IvIountainman
10-03-2004, 10:45 AM
I have Since completed a Move to a 3 bed room home with garage. I have keep all my snakes, but have since not started breeding live rodents again. My small chest freezer is still 3/4 full so I should be good for about a year or 2.

I received my security deposit back from the townhouse apartments.

In all other then the stress of the time I found that I came out ahead and am much better for it. So FiretrUCK the neighbors and the apartment management, in the end they did me a favor. LOL

THank you.

bullcowman
10-06-2004, 11:41 PM
Power to ya man!! Now with the extra room you could breed something else if you want. I'm glad you didn't take their animal racism/bs